• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    O.k.. maybe it wasn't supposed to be dirty...I guess I'm the one with the dirty mind problem...
    :lol2:

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet u at pigfest. Would have been cool for one of the newest n00bs to meet the longest running n00b on the forum. :lol2:

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I don't understand. If his "mother" presents HER id then wouldn't that be perfectly acceptable, as she would be the buyer ?

Yeah I'm also not understanding the problem here. If she presents ID and says the firearm is for her I don't see an issue. I understand Maryland is a communist state but the fear level is absurd.
    Honestly this doesn't appear to be a straw purchase at all but the truth is one can never know in any situation whether or not it will be a straw purchase. Even when going through an FFL you don't know if the person filling out the 4473 and passing a background check won't turn around and just sell or give it to someone else.
    Private sales of long guns is still legal in the state aren't they?? Or is that now illegal as well? When are they just going to outright ban the possession of semi-autos? Hell they are already half way there since they have outlawed your "Rate Increasing Devices" whatever the Phuck that means!

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Just a warning that we just intercepted what was either a straight up attempt at a straw purchase, was a LE sting, or an anti or reporter looking for an opportunity to say, "Aha - I told you so".

A user that joined 2 days ago made an offer on a firearm for sale here, sealed the deal and then told the seller that his mother would be providing the identification for the purchase.

Regardless of the nature of this, whether "legitimate" illegal activity, or some sort of gotcha operation, y'all need to be on the look out.

The user has been perma-banned.

Should have stung the stinger. Would love to go through and invite the po-po to watch in on the ordeal. lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah I'm also not understanding the problem here. If she presents ID and says the firearm is for her I don't see an issue. I understand Maryland is a communist state but the fear level is absurd.
    Honestly this doesn't appear to be a straw purchase at all but the truth is one can never know in any situation whether or not it will be a straw purchase. Even when going through an FFL you don't know if the person filling out the 4473 and passing a background check won't turn around and just sell or give it to someone else.
    Private sales of long guns is still legal in the state aren't they?? Or is that now illegal as well? When are they just going to outright ban the possession of semi-autos? Hell they are already half way there since they have outlawed your "Rate Increasing Devices" whatever the Phuck that means!

That's the funny thing about 'straw purchases'. It all depends who takes possession of the gun. In this case, if the mother made the original offer for the gun, no problems. She could legally then give the gun to her son as a gift, as long as the son was not a prohibited person. It's more about appearances than anything else. If two people set out to buy a firearm and neither is a prohibited person, as was the case with me buying a shotgun as a gift to my friend, how was it a straw purchase. Short answer, it was not.

In the case of the OP, there were a lot of unknowns. To continue the sale as presented, the seller would be taking an enormous risk of breaking the law. And because we are who we are(MDS), we have to realize we all here have a target on our backs placed there by the 'antis'. We must do everything strictly by the book.

IANAL

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If two people set out to buy a firearm and neither is a prohibited person, as was the case with me buying a shotgun as a gift to my friend, how was it a straw purchase. Short answer, it was not.

Need to be careful with that, certainly on a FFL purchase.. You sign a piece of paper that you are the intended recipient of the firearm and the government will hold you to that. This went all the way to the supreme Court under 'Abramski vs. United States'.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Need to be careful with that, certainly on a FFL purchase.. You sign a piece of paper that you are the intended recipient of the firearm and the government will hold you to that. This went all the way to the supreme Court under 'Abramski vs. United States'.
    Definitely. In my case, I told the retailer (Dick's) that I was paying for my friend's gun. My friend was there with me and filled out all the accompanying paperwork. The gun was his from beginning to end. It is not a crime to pay for someone else's gun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    User JTH20 had a similar thing to this happen to him some time ago, I believe he reported the PM he got to the Mods at that time.

Keep on 'em Mods. Don't need any BS whether it's police phishing or someone really attempting to commit a crime.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    User JTH20 had a similar thing to this happen to him some time ago, I believe he reported the PM he got to the Mods at that time.

Keep on 'em Mods. Don't need any BS whether it's police phishing or someone really attempting to commit a crime.

Or even if it is simply someone who is ignorant of the laws involved (Ignorance of the law is no excuse). If someone does not know the law they better ask first, the firearms community will be happy to educate them and help them navigate the minefield of rights infringing "laws" that have been enacted under the "safety" banner by the anti gunners. This forum is full of examples of people helping people do it legally.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Or even if it is simply someone who is ignorant of the laws involved (Ignorance of the law is no excuse). If someone does not know the law they better ask first, the firearms community will be happy to educate them and help them navigate the minefield of rights infringing "laws" that have been enacted under the "safety" banner by the anti gunners. This forum is full of examples of people helping people do it legally.

^^^This^^^

You say that like it's a bad thing.

;)

Welcome to the madness.

Oh, I'm perty sure she(and her man) got a healthy dose of us last weekend.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom