• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    my stocks from my rusty kits are coming out pretty good.

DSC00334__scaled_512.jpg

Aircraft paint remover
    scrub with brillo pad
    soak in water with bleach
    sanding
    tung oil (left) - linseed (right)

With the sweet job on those foregirps, how about refinishing that desk of yours! :lol2:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I told myself "no more guns" until my b-day. A parts kit doesn't count, right? At least not to .gov ;)

I might also pick up a couple AR receivers over the summer... just in case!

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    My "rusty romy " arrived today. The front end (barell, bolt, carrier,gastube ,front trunnion) are numbers matching and in good shape, only 3 "freckles " of rust on the barell everything else OK. The rear trunnion and butstock are pretty rusty/water damaged - but I am not using them anyway.

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    Glad I purchased when I did. Just need to start work now. Get the compliance parts, demil, refinish furniture, receiver.......:D Fun!

This demil with the rivets has been like the twelve labors of Hercules [actually #13: Demil an AK kit and get the rivets out]:banghead::mad54::banghead:

Last edited:

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Got one long rivet out of the rear trunnion. The other is being a real B***h. I hope to get the trigger guard disassembled tomorrow. I'll wait on the other rivets till the demil party, since I am worried about drilling into the barrel.

On another note, my gunthings kit is actually VERY nice. Thew furniture is in poor shade, but refinishable. the metal is in awesome shape. Just a good cleaning and it will be ready for the new receiver.

turbosc20

Nov 6, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I got my last 4 romanian kits from jgsales yesterday. Only opened one up so far and it was actually shot before. Top cover doesn't match and the safety selector and rear section is slightly rusty.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    If any of you guys ended up with unmatching # kits, or something you think is too rusty, i may want it.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I know it's late to jump on the bandwagon, but I now have the cash to get a kit. The only ones I can find are at Classic Arms for $180. Should I go for it, or are there others still out there? AKparts.com and J&G Sales have none as far as I can tell.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I know it's late to jump on the bandwagon, but I now have the cash to get a kit. The only ones I can find are at Classic Arms for $180. Should I go for it, or are there others still out there? AKparts.com and J&G Sales have none as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, you will have to pay the price to play. Almost no one has the Romanian kits left. Remember, you'll still need the receiver, compliance and rivet kits as well.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Unfortunately, you will have to pay the price to play. Almost no one has the Romanian kits left. Remember, you'll still need the receiver, compliance and rivet kits as well.

I think I might grab one. I didn't feel challenged at all "building" my AR. Guess I'm calling Classic Arms on Monday!

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    I think I might grab one. I didn't feel challenged at all "building" my AR. Guess I'm calling Classic Arms on Monday!

Good idea. I went by several places that used to sell Romy kits and they're gone now. These have sold off pretty quick, but there were only so many that got in before the door was closed. The Romys were the least expensive of the lot. I went over to the AK Files "Marketplace", and where they'd been selling kits for a number of months they were down to some parts and mags, and folks trying to locate kits, with no online responses.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Next question....

What size compressor? and what kind of pressure were you able to maintain...

(you've got me half way to purchasing.....)

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Very nice my uncle media blasted my sten gun before assembly and it was great. It did leave a cool little texture to the steel but it works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom