• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    Everyone speeds now and then. (more often than not because of a honest mistake) To make the claim that there is such a thing as a perfect driver that never speeds is B.S.

I agree to an extent.......... maybe I chose the wrong phrasing. But those speed cameras are generally set for 13mph and over the speed limit so you can still speed and not get caught or a ticket. So if you are going 13mph, 14mph, 15mph or even higher over the speed limit and get caught, you should not be upset with a ticket.

I am not trying to defend the cameras but at the same time people should be more cautious in their driving, thats all. And I never said anything about a perfect driver, so dont go throwing words into anyones mouth please.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Lets just say not every police vehicle is outfitted with a radar for detecting speeders. Prime example is the Maryland State Police, most if not all new Troopers out of the academy class do not get radar certified for 1 year. Sometimes they get it sooner, others get it later.

Do I think cameras all over can become a big brother issue, YES. But at the same time if you Dont speed or Dont run red lights you have nothing to worry about.

Oh so we should also be comfortable with Big Brother listening to all of our phone conversations? Cuz like you said if we aren't doing anything wrong what do we have to fear? This shit is a slippery slope and if you don't see the big picture now, it will come back to bite us all in the ass. If we don't keep the freedoms we have then by the time we need to be able to fight back the government will have so much control that we won't have the ability.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Maybe the vehicle sitting there does not have a radar unit in it. You should have all the facts before assuming anything.

Also, reference never seeing too far from Sheetz..... Sheetz is in Manchester NOT Hampstead.

Just to be clear. I dont mind the vehicle sitting there, I kinda like it. I mind that it sits there for about 12 hours over the course of the week and never moves. Its a waste of time, radar or no radar. Most of the town cops seem to be out all day then mia at night when the speeders, including 18-wheelers are flying by enough to shake the house... And I'm not even close the road.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I do however see the need to control speeders and red light runners. Way too many people die on the road because of wreckless drivers and it's just a big waste of human lives. What's the answer? I dunno, increasing the police force is out of the question with budget constraints, but I just don't see cameras as the right solution for a free country.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Just to be clear. I dont mind the vehicle sitting there, I kinda like it. I mind that it sits there for about 12 hours over the course of the week and never moves. Its a waste of time, radar or no radar. Most of the town cops seem to be out all day then mia at night when the speeders, including 18-wheelers are flying by enough to shake the house... And I'm not even close the road.

I'm about 100 yrds from the road and notice the exact same thing. Especially around 3 to 4 am. They roll through Manchester at around 50 mph. Not too mention the idiots who drive through my developement int he mornings and evenings at double the 20mph speed limit. I guess someone's kid is gonna have tog et run over before anyone cares. They used to run radar in here but I havent seen them in years now.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I thought that was where you lived based on the snow pics. I wonder where the MPD officers have been lately. They aren't on York St. either. I'm not complaining I'm just curious. Maybe since they are going to unmarked cars they aren't as conspicuous.

FYI - they took the corner off of the bank at Ferrier Rd. because of a couple of fatal wrecks.

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    When did this turn into a listening to your phone conversations or wire tapping issue, who mentioned that ?

Too many tin foil hats here, I am out of this one...............................

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    When did this turn into a listening to your phone conversations or wire tapping issue, who mentioned that ?

Too many tin foil hats here, I am out of this one...............................

As I recall you started the tangent with the "if you don't do anything wrong" comment.:innocent0

Any police officer knows that if they follow you around long enough that they will observe something illegal.

downforthecause

refugee from communist MD
    Nov 13, 2009
    We go to work, to pay our "leaders" to lead us in how to work... hmmm...I'm sick of authorities dipping in my pockets and getting nothing but false promises/lies. Especially when I live out here in the 'burbs, trying to evade some of the city crooks.. All the cameras do are cause accidents, rob sensible drivers who try to avoid CAUSING AN ACCIDENT, by slamming on their brakes...all under the cloak of "public safety"....they should honestly get rid of red light cameras, and institute cameras catching those who cut people off, jump green lights and take right aways.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Half my family are police. I just hope they realize that the constitution is the most important document in the world.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Half my family are police. I just hope they realize that the constitution is the most important document in the world.

Yup, same here.. Lots O' Cops in the family. The ones in my family seem to "get it".. but they are under someone else's thumb. I give them respect no matter what because I understand that thier job is difficult and dangerous.

Sgt6402 When did this turn into a listening to your phone conversations or wire tapping issue, who mentioned that ?

No tinfoil here. The student/cam incident is a fact. It's on here somewhere, do a search...

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    As I recall you started the tangent with the "if you don't do anything wrong" comment.:innocent0

Any police officer knows that if they follow you around long enough that they will observe something illegal.

Show me where I said; " if you don't do anything wrong". show me where I said that. Twisting the words to fit what you want or saying a qoute that was not said is kind of misleading to fight your argument

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    Yup, same here.. Lots O' Cops in the family. The ones in my family seem to "get it".. but they are under someone else's thumb. I give them respect no matter what because I understand that thier job is difficult and dangerous.

Sgt6402 When did this turn into a listening to your phone conversations or wire tapping issue, who mentioned that ?

No tinfoil here. The student/cam incident is a fact. It's on here somewhere, do a search...

If you refered to the computers from some school, I saw that also. That is way wrong that the school tried or took any action on the student while the student was in their own home.

It was just the whole out of the blue about listening to phone conversations and etc that made me make my smart a$$ comment on the tin foil..... :)

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md

Russ, on this statement you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT and I agree. Each ammendment was meant to protect the next in line in my opinoin.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina

If you refered to the computers from some school, I saw that also. That is way wrong that the school tried or took any action on the student while the student was in their own home.

It was just the whole out of the blue about listening to phone conversations and etc that made me make my smart a$$ comment on the time foil..... :)

Gotcha..:thumbsup:
    :tinfoil: :D Ha Ha.. forgot we have this smiley..lol

Gunner71

Lone Wolf
    Mar 7, 2008
    right behind you
    Where you live I can understand them enforcing the speed limit because the houses are closer to the road. i don't know if its gotten any better with the new by-pass. I have nothing against truckers but some of them do tend to drive too fast for the area that they are driving through. Main street towns have so much foot traffic that it can be very dangerous if all vehicles don't slow down to a reasonable speed. On a side note, I live off of rt.27 , about 300' or so from the road, and the damn trucks still shake the house when they hit the jake brake coming downhill.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I wish it were a simple tinfoil hat type of issue, but honestly the deeper you look into these issues the more you start to really wonder. I honestly don't wonder anymore. I know exactly where all of this is headed and it's not good. They are eroding our freedoms and ability to resist a tiny bit at a time. Will it be too late before we wake up enough to seriously push back? I don't know anymore, but we really need to be more active in our local and national elections. We cannot afford another election like the last big one that put so many liberals in important postitions.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

not too far out...
    Now as a side note, because it is a camera, we can on occasions look at the...roadway through the camera, because its there. We are using it for surveillance purposes, not that we're monitoring what the actual speeds are," Scott added.

Scott said the speed cameras can help city officials judge traffic volume in school zones, and also detect any emergencies, like accidents or water main breaks.
    http://wbal.com/apps/news/templates/story.aspx?articleid=38851&zoneid=3

sooo, speed cameras have a 24/7 video function that's being monitered. my basic gripe is it gives gubment more power...which is dangerous because i don't trust it(even though i'm a teacher that works for the state guvt). essentially if you cause trouble the video feeds could be monitered with face recognition software or software to track your license plate to always know your location. powerful tool when looking for fugitives and bad people..dangerous tool if govt becomes dangerous to its people and wants to crack down on trouble-makers ruby ridge style. Not sayin it's probable, just possible. the foot in the door technique has been used waaaaaaay too much for me to like giving guvt any more power. not wearing a seatbelt never used to be a primary offense that you could pull someone over for right? but now it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom