• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Just heard on the news of new redlight cams in carroll county beginning Mon Mar 1st..
    Rt 140 North AND Southbound at Malcom Dr. Includung the turn lanes..
    Rt 97 Southbound side at Nursery Rd... including Left turn lane..
    :tdown: :mad54:

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I'm surprised that the local government out there would sign off on the use of speed cameras. Money is money, I suppose. :sad20:

I know.. The town of Skesville is working on putting a few of thier own in too.. BTW, they have thier own police force and dont want to "waste an officers time" writing tickets. Crazy thing is 90% of the money goes to the state..:sad20:

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    I suppose they are puting these in so the county sheriff can avoid having to sit on Rt 27 at night with no lights whatsoever waiting for a soccer mom to give a ticket to and just go ahead and go to the donut shop.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    As far as I know, the yellow light should stay on for 3 sec. if you get a ticket in the mail and it shows the yellow light was on for less then 3 sec, then you can easily beat the ticket. Or that is how it is in Balto city.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Merlin, I think you are correct about the timing. However, there have been cases where the timing was "Fudged" and the ticket did not reflect it..

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    As soon as I saw those posts with cameras going up, I thought the same thing. I hope someone figures out how to black out the cameras. Bastards.

I had to stop in the M+T bank today. I saw the 140 lights were turned off and the police were directing traffic. When I saw some people working in the boxes by Nursery Road I remembered this thread. I pulled into the parking lot where I could see the Nursery Raod lights that were still working. I used my cell phone to time the yellow lights. 3.9 seconds both times I checked. I guess only time will tell.

One of the articles in the CC Times said the Westminster police chief said that if the number of drivers running red lights was reduced by the cameras then they would remove the cameras.

YEAH RIGHT!!

Gunner71

Lone Wolf
    Mar 7, 2008
    right behind you
    I suppose they are puting these in so the county sheriff can avoid having to sit on Rt 27 at night with no lights whatsoever waiting for a soccer mom to give a ticket to and just go ahead and go to the donut shop.
    :lol:

Yes they can be sneaky. I get pissed when I see them using private driveways. I can't remember if it was MSP or Sheriff's dept that was blocking my driveway on 27, he left before I could get up the driveway to see what was up. I would have been pissed if they were running radar on private property without my permission.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    :lol:

Yes they can be sneaky. I get pissed when I see them using private driveways. I can't remember if it was MSP or Sheriff's dept that was blocking my driveway on 27, he left before I could get up the driveway to see what was up. I would have been pissed if they were running radar on private property without my permission.

No such thing in Md. my friend. Claire D. Baker taught me that outside Brownstone's one day.:sad20:

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Biggest speed trap (most used at least) around Westminster is the little park right off of Kate Wagner close to Ridge Rd. Man, 30% of the time I go by there a cop is sitting in the little gravel parking lot running radar. Usually State for some reason.

One would think that since most of the locals know this to be a bad spot, it wouldn't be very productive. But they keep sitting there. So I guess it is productive enough.

Which speaks to the red light cams. They will come down when red light runners stop. Right. Revenue is revenue.

Another trap is at Takoma Farm Rd (that whole road really as it is 25MPH) and N. Burning Tree. Cops sit in the park lot and run radar while watching the stop sign just down the road. This is especially lucrative because the county pissed off a bunch of people by making the Long Valley Rd. a right turn only onto 31.

Gotta love revenue.

Splitter

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Biggest speed trap (most used at least) around Westminster is the little park right off of Kate Wagner close to Ridge Rd. Man, 30% of the time I go by there a cop is sitting in the little gravel parking lot running radar. Usually State for some reason.

One would think that since most of the locals know this to be a bad spot, it wouldn't be very productive. But they keep sitting there. So I guess it is productive enough.

Which speaks to the red light cams. They will come down when red light runners stop. Right. Revenue is revenue.

Another trap is at Takoma Farm Rd (that whole road really as it is 25MPH) and N. Burning Tree. Cops sit in the park lot and run radar while watching the stop sign just down the road. This is especially lucrative because the county pissed off a bunch of people by making the Long Valley Rd. a right turn only onto 31.

Gotta love revenue.

Splitter

Splitter.. are you familiar with the big tit trap on Rt.27 @ Manchester..?? :lol2:

...They sit there pretty often.
    Another place to watch is in Hampstead, on S Main in Dean's parking lot. Dark blue Ford Exploder with Hampstead's finest inside. Crazy thing is, he'll sit there just about every day between 10:00AM- 2:00PM and I NEVER see him pull anyone over. Seriously just sits there and this has gone on over 2 years and not once do I see him pull out the whole time. People fly by and he's there on the phone or, sometimes, with a marked unit pulled in reverse to chat....nuff' said. :sad20:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Splitter.. are you familiar with the big tit trap on Rt.27 @ Manchester..?? :lol2:

...They sit there pretty often.
    Another place to watch is in Hampstead, on S Main in Dean's parking lot. Dark blue Ford Exploder with Hampstead's finest inside. Crazy thing is, he'll sit there just about every day between 10:00AM- 2:00PM and I NEVER see him pull anyone over. Seriously just sits there and this has gone on over 2 years and not once do I see him pull out the whole time. People fly by and he's there on the phone or, sometimes, with a marked unit pulled in reverse to chat....nuff' said. :sad20:

The playground just past the RR tracks at the other end of Hampstead is popular too.

I watched a MSP pull over one at the trap on 27 this morning. Kinda funny (sad) how when Elmer was the mayor they would sit on York St. all the time - especially when they reduced the speed to 25 from 30. I wonder where the new mayor lives?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    what's that camera thing just south of rt 70 on rt 32? has road markers and a camera...sure looks like a speed trap but never been given a ticket from it.

wheelgun

Feb 23, 2009
    Yeah, kinda figured that's what you meant. Funny(not really), how many people think they can do whatever they want on/to your property even tho they don't contribute to the mortgage, taxes, etc.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Yellow light time = t + (85th percentile speed)/(2a + 64.4g) where: t = driver reaction time in seconds (1.0 second is a commonly used value for this parameter), 85th percentile speed is in ft/s, a = deceleration rate of vehicles, fps^2 (10 fps^2 is a commonly used value for this parameter), g = grade of approach, expressed as a decimal (ie 2% downgrade = -.02 64.4 = 2 times the acceleration due to gravity. -ITE Technical Committee 4A-16, "Recommended Practice: Determinging Vehicle Change Intervals," ITE Journal, May 1985

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom