• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Wow, I missed the 911 part. So is there any provision for prosecuting 911 operators who give wrong (deadly) advice? Because, you know, all 911 operators are competent experts.

What happens next is that you will be charged with a crime if you do not call 911 if someone breaks into your home and you try to defend yourself.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    We had a neighborhood watch meeting and I approached the Public Affairs officer and politely engaged her in a conversation about this topic and several others… I was told that if I were involved in a shooting defending my home, the first thing out of my mouth to a police officer should be: "I was in fear for my life and the lives of my family, and I had no ability to retreat…" Which I guess (she did not include this… ) would be followed by: "I have nothing else to say, without my attorney present.."

I have never considered it my responsibility to call 911 during a break in - my responsibility is to protect my family and myself - kind of like what they teach you in CPR class, have some one else call 911 while you address the issue at hand…

Do I have it wrong????

Man I cant wait to leave the government abuse of Maryland!!

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    We had a neighborhood watch meeting and I approached the Public Affairs officer and politely engaged her in a conversation about this topic and several others… I was told that if I were involved in a shooting defending my home, the first thing out of my mouth to a police officer should be: "I have nothing to say, without my attorney present.."

I have never considered it my responsibility to call 911 during a break in - my responsibility is to protect my family and myself - kind of like what they teach you in CPR class, have some one else call 911 while you address the issue at hand…

Do I have it wrong????

Man I cant wait to leave the government abuse of Maryland!!

FTFY Say this and only this and instruct all family members to say the same.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What happens next is that you will be charged with a crime if you do not call 911 if someone breaks into your home and you try to defend yourself.

What if someone doesn't have a home phone? How can they dial 911? Then you can say use the cell phone. There is no time to turn your cell phone on, dial 911, speak to them and juggle an intruder.

Maybe they will make having a home phone or cell phone turned on, mandatory one day.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    The duties these bills would impose are to retreat and to obey the 911 instructions (if you call.) But there is no duty to call 911. As some others have pointed out, they might do this, or think of doing this, but so far not.

So as it would stand, you would in theory have to retreat, then having done so, defend yourself/family, and (again as others have pointed out) best use deadly force so that the intruder cannot present any evidence against you.

These bills will encourage knowledgeable homeowners to not call 911, and use the maximum amount of deadly force available. Of course, this is not sound policy, it is purely political.

By the way, while there is theoretical civil immunity, keep in mind that it does not prevent a surviving intruder (or his successors in interest) from suing you. You still would have to likely answer a civil suit and successfully assert immunity--which might be easier said than done.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    As of last Thursday, the hearing for this bill and HB 22 have been cancelled...So they will either be rescheduled or they will be pulled.

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Personally I would not shoot a intruder that was visibly unarmed. I would tell him to surrender, if he continued to approach me I'd shoot to kill, or if he was visibly armed. If all else fails, just shoot and dissolve the body via liquid drano :lol2: VA/WV/PA keeps looking better and better these days.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If a cop gives you a lawful command, he/she does so as a sworn peace officer.

Any command from anyone else is simply a First Amendment protected utterance and you are under no legal obligation to accept or follow it.

A command from such a person falls under the heading of opinion, polite request, or even a thought shared out loud.

This is yet another instance of legislators who don't bother to read the Instruction Manual that comes with their job.

Namely the Constitution.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    #1. Don't call 911 until after the fact. Where I live it will be 30 to 45 minutes before they get there anyhow.
    #2. With the loss of our IV amendment rights, I can see why a politician would want this to protect the cops that break down your door unannounced.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The committee hearing for this has been cancelled, no news if it going to be rescheduled or pulled completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom