• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    The 2 remaining bills are harder sells to non-gun people. They want people with firearms to pass some sort of background check. I know what you are thinking but. They don't want prohibited people to be able to buy a kit on the net and build a firearm without some sort of check. They don't want a prohibited person to buy a firearm from a friend or acquaintance without some sort of check. It's just the way it is. And it is a great majority of people/voters. Please don't shoot the messenger. But no check at all is not going to fly on the local boards or faceplace.

I don't like most firearms laws. Any infringements the majority feel are absolutely necessary should be free and as close to instant as possible. There should be no NFA, or 86. I can reasonably sell all that. I have trouble selling no checks at all.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The 2 remaining bills are harder sells to non-gun people. They want people with firearms to pass some sort of background check. I know what you are thinking but. They don't want prohibited people to be able to buy a kit on the net and build a firearm without some sort of check. They don't want a prohibited person to buy a firearm from a friend or acquaintance without some sort of check. It's just the way it is. And it is a great majority of people/voters. Please don't shoot the messenger. But no check at all is not going to fly on the local boards or faceplace.

I don't like most firearms laws. Any infringements the majority feel are absolutely necessary should be free and as close to instant as possible. There should be no NFA, or 86. I can reasonably sell all that. I have trouble selling no checks at all.

Is there a check to buy a truck or 50 gallons of fuel? Knives, airplanes or a million other dangerous objects that could be used for destruction?

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Is there a check to buy a truck or 50 gallons of fuel? Knives, airplanes or a million other dangerous objects that could be used for destruction?

We are talking to people who are comfortable with 10's of millions of people living among us who we have no idea who they are. They are fine with these unidentified people stealing identities to work and using other identities to get drivers licensees and public assistance. We are not dealing with the sane. We are trying to convince a large group who we will never understand, but they hold our freedom in their vote. I'm trying to poke at the edges and seem to be on their side. Norton has asked us to go outside our comfort zone and try to do some convincing. Your approach is too confrontational and too big of a bite at one time among the group I'm talking to.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

Not to you Robmints but a felon having a firearm is already a felony, that law is making felons out of non felons. We need a law against stupidity.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Lowers already are subject to a 4473, and the really scary ones also a 77r. There are no magical kits of which you speak.

And if a prohibited person is truly desperate, out of people to rob and steal from (unlikely), but if that happens one can literally build a gun from Home Depot or Wal Mart bicycle parts.

You don't need background checks when the ramifications for using a gun in a crime especially a crime of violence are so horrendous no one would want want to DARE chance it. It would be very simple use a gun in the commission of a crime 50 years in prison. Use a gun in the commission of a violent crime life in prison without parole. You'd see gun crime drop to nearly nothing and there would be no need for background checks.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I think I'v made a mess. I was responding to:

Hold on. Not so fast.

HB910/SB958 and HB4/SB208 are still in play.

The kits are 80% kits. The transfers are face to face rifles. I'm having a hard time with the neighborhood coven and their kept metrosexuals. I'm glad 1261 is gone for this year. The other 2 are more difficult sells among the newly entrenched McMansion crowd up here in the zone.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I am glad to see HB1261 gone. At least for this year. I had a hard time seeing how the implementation of this was going to work in such a short amount of time. HB910 & SB958 are the next ones that need taking care of on my dime. Small party... :party29:

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Spend as much money and time as you can reasonably afford educating non gun people. Offer to take new people to the range as often as you can. This is the only way we win long term. The far left are a lost cause but every middle of the road person I've taken shooting has always had a good time these are the people who's perception we can easily swing in our favor. And like most things if you can make someones first exposure to something enjoyable that sets the precedent. When a friend acquaintance or family member starts asking questions about firearms or firearm laws in MD don't use that as an opportunity to rant about how screwed up everything is. Instead get them to the range ASAP you need to set the hook BEFORE they fully realize just how big a pain in the A$$ being a gun owner has become. New shooters are the next generation of advocates for the cause.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Spend as much money and time as you can reasonably afford educating non gun people. Offer to take new people to the range as often as you can. This is the only way we win long term. The far left are a lost cause but every middle of the road person I've taken shooting has always had a good time these are the people who's perception we can easily swing in our favor. And like most things if you can make someones first exposure to something enjoyable that sets the precedent. When a friend acquaintance or family member starts asking questions about firearms or firearm laws in MD don't use that as an opportunity to rant about how screwed up everything is. Instead get them to the range ASAP you need to set the hook BEFORE they fully realize just how big a pain in the A$$ being a gun owner has become. New shooters are the next generation of advocates for the cause.

I work with a lot of D’s, I have found almost zero to be anti gun, most have shot a gun, Many have a gun and are actually level headed in their realization of the absurdity of “more & more” restrictive laws which actually affect them and not criminals. Problem I see is they vote “D” and go about their lives till the next vote. (They don’t have time to see, or have much care for, how the sausage is made). The idiot they vote in is then pushed around by $ and squeaky wheel groups (moms against anything), feel good knee jerk legislation and personal goals/vendettas.

What you say is good Atlas but should be a constant by product of upholding the constitution. Sticking to this as a method to fight gun grabbers (they want firearms removed!) will result in slingshot training in five years ....
    because that may be all that is left in MD.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I work with a lot of D’s, I have found almost zero to be anti gun, most have shot a gun, Many have a gun and are actually level headed in their realization of the absurdity of “more & more” restrictive laws which actually affect them and not criminals. Problem I see is they vote “D” and go about their lives till the next vote. (They don’t have time to see, or have much care for, how the sausage is made). The idiot they vote in is then pushed around by $ and squeaky wheel groups (moms against anything), feel good knee jerk legislation and personal goals/vendettas.

What you say is good Atlas but should be a constant by product of upholding the constitution. Sticking to this as a method to fight gun grabbers (they want firearms removed!) will result in slingshot training in five years ....
    because that may be all that is left in MD.

Most Ds I know are "guns for me and not for thee" - they simply don't think the (new) laws will affect them.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown

I’m far left and did a complete 180 on guns because “gun people” who weren’t in my social network took the time to talk to me about gun ownership/2A rights in a way that got me to challenge my views and the underlying rationale (or more appropriately emotion) behind them without coming off as total asshats. It really helps when you don’t go out of your way to shit talk people just because of their broad political association/views and instead treat them like your neighbor/fellow american.

This political tribalism on both sides needs to stop, it drives me nuts when I see liberals doing it as well, acting condescending to “Trumpers”.

I’m far left and did a complete 180 on guns because “gun people” who weren’t in my social network took the time to talk to me about gun ownership/2A rights in a way that got me to challenge my views and the underlying rationale (or more appropriately emotion) behind them without coming off as total asshats. It really helps when you don’t go out of your way to shit talk people just because of their broad political association/views and instead treat them like your neighbor/fellow american.

This political tribalism on both sides needs to stop, it drives me nuts when I see liberals doing it as well, acting condescending to “Trumpers”.

You're not the only one. A friend (SWF, late 30's) was the victim of a home invasion in her row home in Canton/Baltimore City. I spent a day with her at my gun club (AGC) and sold her a pump action shotgun.
    She is now a vocally pro 2A leftist. When she talks about her experience to other leftist SWF's, and explains how much safer she feels with a 12 gauge in the closet- they listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom