• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Grandfathered. For now. Until the GA come back around for them later. Because, you know, the registration and all. And our children would be screwed. So not worth playing that game in my opinion.

I will testify. Then I will not comply. And if it comes to a head, I will move out of here. I'd rather enjoy the remainder of my life in a state that doesn't hate me.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    In the meantime print out a copy of the bill and discuss it with anyone who might live under a rock and not be aware of it. Hell I struck up a conversation with one of my coworkers whom its been almost 4 years since we last talked (long story there) and she was totally unaware of it.

Just my speculation, I dont know who was doing the inside deal making in 2013 that got several things striken. But there are a few potentially exploitable things on the features list that can be challenged if the right people testify.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    These Maryland Jim Crow gun persecutions will continue until the Supreme Court or Fourth Circuit puts an end to them.

If Trump wins again all this nonsense ends when he replaces RBG and/or Breyer. Could end before then with the New York case but I doubt it.

So, Trump wins we're safe.

Trump should win.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    These Maryland Jim Crow gun persecutions will continue until the Supreme Court or Fourth Circuit puts an end to them.

If Trump wins again all this nonsense ends when he replaces RBG and/or Breyer. Could end before then with the New York case but I doubt it.

Trump should win.

Safe? No we're not. Look at what's going on in Virginia while Trump is POTUS. MD is far worse with the Dems supermajority. I really hope Trump wins again and gets 1-2 more SC nominations but I still have very little faith in the Supreme Court. Even if they rule on our side, it will take multiple rulings and years before they have the desired effect for us.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

Trump should win.

That’s what we thought the first time Trump was elected, yet here we are(along with other states that thought they’d never see this bs). The Supreme Court needs to get off of their asses and strike this non sense down once and for all by ruling with the COTUS, but those clowns won’t.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    A correction to MSI’s summary. There is no stated cost to register. The $290 and increasing are civil fines if you FAIL to register by January 1, 2021.

The HB says you must own it by 10/1/2020. It must be registered by 1/1/2021. Failure to do so results in a fine upon registration of $290 starting 1/1/2021. It goes up in May of 2021 to November of 2022 to $580. And then again to finally end up being $1000 fine for voluntarily registering or being caught with one from November 2022 to May 2023.

After May 1, 2023 if you are caught with one, it is punishable by up to a year in prison.

IANAL. But I don't think your summary is quite right, and they wrote the bill this way on purpose to confuse folks into thinking the prison term is 1 year.

Here is the text:

IV) 1. A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED AN ASSAULT
    LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2020, AND WHO REGISTERS
    THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON ON OR AFTER JANUARY 1, 2021, AND
    BEFORE MAY 1,2023, ONLY AFTER BEING DISCOVERED IN POSSESSION OF THE
    ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, IS
    NOT SUBJECT TO THE PENALTIES IN §4–306 OF THIS SUBTITLE.

2. A PERSON DESCRIBED IN SUBSUBPARAGRAPH 1 OF
    THIS SUBPARAGRAPH IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND ON CONVICTION IS
    SUBJECT TO IMPRISONMENT NOT EXCEEDING 1 YEAR FOR EACH INCIDENT IN WHICH
    THE PERSON IS DISCOVERED WITH UNREGISTERED FIREARMS.

§4-306 isn't even included in this bill text! Here it is.

4-306 Criminal law:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person who violates this subtitle is guilty of a
    misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not
    exceeding $5,000 or both.

(b)(1) A person who uses an assault weapon, or a magazine that has a capacity of more than
    10 rounds of ammunition, in the commission of a felony or a crime of violence as defined in § 5-101
    of the Public Safety Article is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction, in addition to any other
    sentence imposed for the felony or crime of violence, shall be sentenced under this subsection.

What this all means is that if HB1261 becomes law, between January 1, 2021 and May 1, 2023, if one is caught with an unregistered "assault or copycat" by a LEO, it is no more than a year in prison per incident.

HOWEVER, if a LEO finds one with an unregistered "assault or copycat" after May 1, 2023, it's no more than 3 years in prison and no more than $5000 fine as defined by §4–306.

As for the fines, one could voluntarily register affected firearms at no fine until January 1, 2021. The civil fines ($290/per, $580/per, and $100/per) apply only when one chooses to voluntarily register between January 1, 2021 and May 1, 2023. After May 1, 2023, it's 3 years prison and/or $5000.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    So how can a law dictate you do something before the law is in effect, or you run afoul of said law. The law would have to be in place and grant time for the action to occur.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Before the panic buying sets in... What guns would you recommend buying? I already have a poverty pony AR, should I get a lower to start another build? What calibers? I could probably swing one more rifle for $400-$600, or I could buy a few lowers. Which I guess must go through 77r since they could be built into pistols.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The current text of the bill means nothing. The final text, assuming the bill is passed, will answer all questions. That will be in April.

If it passes in a form recognisably similar to the current bill, be assured that it will only be two steps or so away from confiscation. The game is played in increments, and with a veto-proof majority, they will do what they want. What they want is to take your firearms. Probably all of them. That's how it played out in Germany, and that's the script they're following.

Once all firearms are secured, with such things as hunting rifles, shotguns and rimfire rifles excluded from confiscation for the time being - as long as they're stored in armories or licensed "gun clubs" - permits will be granted to Party members and other "trustworthy" individuals. No one here will be deemed "trustworthy" thanks to vigorous opposition to the current regime. That too is how it was done in Germany.

This is not about guns, at all, no matter what others may tell you. This is about creating and defining groups who can be scapegoated, in order to intimidate the remaining population, and solidify them against the proscribed groups. That too is how it was done in Germany, and it works very well. It has worked in many places over the last century, a tried and true program to establish a permanent ruling group, no longer subject to such messy things as elections, and free to take unto themselves whatever wealth can be raised from their subjects.

Don't believe me? Wait and see.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    And on top of ALL this, it's an Olympic Target Pistol ban. The business about "no magazine outside the grip" affects about 75% of the high-end target pistols.

Breakdown from the 2014 ISSF World Championship (the last I have information on):

Men's Rapid Fire Pistol
    Pardini SP RF - 72% - BANNED
    Pardini SP - 10% - BANNED
    Match Guns MG2 - 9%
    Izh-35m - 3%
    Morini CM-22 - 2% - BANNED
    Match Guns MG2E - 2%
    Walther GSP - 1% - BANNED
    Hammerli SP20 - 1% - BANNED

That's 86%!

Now let's turn to Women's Sport Pistol

Pardini SP - 52% - BANNED
    Feinwerkbau AW-93 - 18%
    Walther SSP - 11%
    Morini CM22 - 5% - BANNED
    Benelli MP90S - 4% - BANNED
    Walther GSP - 4% - BANNED
    Match Guns MG2 - 2%
    Hammerli SP20 - 1% - BANNED
    Izh-KhR-30 - 1%
    FAS 603 - 1%
    Izh-35m - 1%

So the women are slightly better off...with only 66% of the guns banned.

This is obscene.

Naval Academy Pistol Team.would he shut down.

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    I’ve been an introvert about this for a while now but it’s time to actually start writing emails and showing up for rally days. I’ve realized throwing money at organizations hoping it will help will simply not cut it anymore. I’ve grown extremely passionate about the 2nd Amendment and my constitutional rights and I don’t want to be that guy that sits back and does nothing.

That being said, I’m not the best at writing a well read, diplomatic email. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you could please, thanks!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The registration will let you keep your guns....until the next mass shooting. Then the registry will be the confiscation list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom