• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I just *know* that the Governor vetoed HB4 only because we asked him to. See attached. Seriously, we are enormously pleased.

It must have been amusing for you to suggest that quoting Daniel Webster's work as having added considerable weight to the argument against the bill's justification.

Maybe Bloomberg will consider finding a different tame academic in future. Webster somehow overlooked the premise that the body of a study exists only to confirm the desired conclusion.

In a recent study concerning California's comprehensive background check (“CBC”)
    and misdemeanor violence prohibition policies conducted by researchers from the
    University of California Davis School of Medicine, and by Daniel Webster of the
    Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (among others), the study
    concluded that California’s long standing comprehensive background check
    system “was not associated with a net change in the firearm homicide rate over the ensuing 10 years in California.”

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Mr Pennack I already sent a thank you note earlier before seeing this, I feel obligated to send a second one and I will be.

It is a temporary victory but none the less a win for a right reasons.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    NOW this begs the question...did he sign ANY of the bills from the truncated session? Or did he decide to veto most of them simply because they weren't passed in the manner that the state constitution requires? (public hearings and testimony ETC)

Not that it matters, it's one of those things where the end justifies the means I guess...Thanks Larry...
    He vetoed a handful and allowed a metric ton to lapse into law without his signature.

293 Senate Bills lapsed into law: https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SEN-EWS-Letter.pdf

332 House Bills lapsed into law: https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/HSE-EWS-Letter.pdf

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    That's alot to read. What happened to the other gun bills?
    how about that big tax increase thing? Kirwan? Wrath of Kahn, what ever it was?
    Kirwan I read was vetoed along with much of the other proliferate spending. The money to salvage the Preakness was allowed to become law without signature.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politi...0200507-5feplmr3hfdhpfxwm4a4mufdya-story.html

Isn't it amazing, out of 600 bills we can name a dozen or so? What the **** were the other 575?

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    That's alot to read. What happened to the other gun bills?
    how about that big tax increase thing? Kirwan? Wrath of Kahn, what ever it was?

Governor's page with his actions: https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/05/07/governor-hogan-announces-legislative-actions-2/

Firearms/Hunting Highlights, as tracked by MSRPA:

VETO:

• HB0004 - Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Secondary Transfers
    • SB0208 - Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Secondary Transfers
    LAPSED INTO LAW (unsigned bills):
    • HB0173 - Natural Resources - Sunday Hunting
    • HB0236 - Hunting and Fishing Licenses - Active Military, Former Prisoners of War, Recipients of the Purple Heart Award, and Disabled Veterans
    • HB1304 - Baltimore County- Hunting - Deer Management Permits
    • HB1629 - Office of the Attorney General - Firearm Crime - Study
    • SB0142 - Natural Resources - Recreational License Donation Program and Healing
    • SB0242 - Natural Resources - Wild Waterfowl Policy - Repeal
    • SB0427 - Baltimore County - Hunting - Deer Management Permits
    MSRPA's Tracker - I just updated with today's information - https://www.msrpa.org/2020-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/

Last edited:

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Holy cow! I would never have guessed he'd do this.

So, what makes crow more palatable? Old Bay or maybe Chulula?

This doesn’t surprise me at all. There is no doubt that he has aspirations beyond Gov of Maryland and he needs to do something to appear like he is at least neutral on 2A items. In the end he knows this doesn’t matter because his veto will get overridden.

NewTwo

Jan 10, 2020
    Hey, that's pretty neat!

Will there be any opportunity to speak about this with the politicians before the veto override vote occurs or is it just a Day 1 vote?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This doesn’t surprise me at all. There is no doubt that he has aspirations beyond Gov of Maryland and he needs to do something to appear like he is at least neutral on 2A items. In the end he knows this doesn’t matter because his veto will get overridden.

This is a pretty safe veto. Tough MD gun laws still intact. We can still sell a Winchester ‘94 face to face.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Special session is single issue only, so no, no veto over rides.
    Sorry - they can override in a Special Session. Constitutionally, it is one of the first actions they are supposed to consider upon convening a new session (other than the first session of the four year term).
    VETOED BILLS

The power to override a veto rests with the General Assembly. If the Governor vetoes a bill during a regular session, the General Assembly immediately considers the Governor's veto message. If the Governor vetoes a bill presented after the session, the veto message must be considered immediately at the next regular or special session of the legislature. The General Assembly may not override a veto during the first year of a new legislative term since the bill would have been passed by the previous legislature (Const., Art. II, sec. 17). A three-fifths vote of the elected membership of both chambers is necessary to override a veto.
    (Source: https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/07leg/html/proc.html#vetoed)

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    As I wrote in a Facebook reply to Senator Ready's posted letter to Hogan, this was an easy veto for him even if his heart isn't in it...it'll probably just be overridden anyway. But at least he gave some of us a reason to smile at him, even if briefly, for a change.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Double woo hoo!!

Okay, so here is what can happen.

Governor Hogan could (or 3/5's of each chamber can petition the Governor to) call any number of special sessions. He called one last year to elect a new Speaker, but they didn't tackle the SB1000 vetos during that session. It's probably not worth calling a special session just to override vetos on feel good legislation anyway. They got most of their licks in this year to justify their existence in their own minds. That means they can and will take up the vetos next session in January.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Double woo hoo!!

Okay, so here is what can happen.

Governor Hogan could (or 3/5's of each chamber can petition the Governor to) call any number of special sessions. He called one last year to elect a new Speaker, but they didn't tackle the SB1000 vetos during that session. It's probably not worth calling a special session just to override vetos on feel good legislation anyway. They got most of their licks in this year to justify their existence in their own minds. That means they can and will take up the vetos next session in January.

Isn’t January the seating of the next legislature for their 4 year term? So a veto couldn’t be over ridden, the legislation would have to be run through the entire process again?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Isn’t January the seating of the next legislature for their 4 year term? So a veto couldn’t be over ridden, the legislation would have to be run through the entire process again?

Not this January. January 2023, fall election of 2022. The previous MGA election was in 2018.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Last election for a 4 year term of each legislator was in 2018. Next election for the GA is 2022

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom