• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    SB208 was voted out of House JUD favorable. (no amendments) They're going to bring the cross-file across. It's on the agenda for today's 11am House session. I expect there to be some lively discussion on this one, given what they've already done with HB4.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Every gun owner has already felt the ram with HB4. Now's a chance for our folks on the House floor to relay to the chamber how that felt.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    SB208 was voted out of House JUD favorable. (no amendments) They're going to bring the cross-file across. It's on the agenda for today's 11am House session. I expect there to be some lively discussion on this one, given what they've already done with HB4.

IF HB4 has already passed both chambers, what's the purpose in moving SB208 forward? Didn't the Senate amendments to both bills leave them identical? Is it just so the Senate sponsors can claim credit for the law?

NewTwo

Jan 10, 2020
    Is it possible to still send a handwritten letter to Hogan with the MGA adjourning due to the virus? Would he be able to receive it at all?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    IF HB4 has already passed both chambers, what's the purpose in moving SB208 forward? Didn't the Senate amendments to both bills leave them identical? Is it just so the Senate sponsors can claim credit for the law?

That's the way I've always viewed it. BUT, ...

I think it's better for someone with more experience to answer your question. I tried to do some research this morning about it and came up completely empty.

If they do amend a cross-file of one that has already passed on to the Governor, and work it with the other chamber, and it passes, I guess the amendment can say that it supersedes the other bill that already was enrolled. I've not followed this stuff long enough to have seen it be done.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    That's the way I've always viewed it. BUT, ...

I think it's better for someone with more experience to answer your question. I tried to do some research this morning about it and came up completely empty.

If they do amend a cross-file of one that has already passed on to the Governor, and work it with the other chamber, and it passes, I guess the amendment can say that it supersedes the other bill that already was enrolled. I've not followed this stuff long enough to have seen it be done.
    If they pass and send both bills to the Governor's desk, he chooses which one he will act on (sign or veto). The other bill then gets veto'd as duplicative.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So if during an epidemic, and gun shops are closed, and first responders are limiting what calls they can respond to (see Philly), and your neighbor needs to borrow shotgun to take to their shop providing essential services or goods, this Atterbeary law is keeping us safer.

NewTwo

Jan 10, 2020
    Yo can we stop fearmongering for one sec? Temporary loans are exempt, transfers to just about any family are exempt. Are there threats to those in the future? Sure, but for now this bill only covers unrelated person to unrelated person PERMANENT TRANSFERS.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yo can we stop fearmongering for one sec? Temporary loans are exempt, transfers to just about any family are exempt. Are there threats to those in the future? Sure, but for now this bill only covers unrelated person to unrelated person PERMANENT TRANSFERS.

It's not fear mongering. It's an infringement which solves nothing

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

It is just one more inch.....
    How old are you? Seriously. Do you remember being able to do FTF handgun sales? Do you remember when there was no roster or internal lock requirement? What about carry permits?
    The MGA has been steadily raising the heat on the water to boil us for more than 30 years. Look what good all those laws have done to the crime rates, ZILCH, ZERO, NADA...
    Look back and then scream about fear mongering.

NewTwo

Jan 10, 2020
    I was THERE to testify against both of these bills, that's why I KNOW what's in them. I'm calling out you guys who clearly have no idea what's in the bill and wail on about things that many of us worked hard to ensure were EXEMPTED from these bills.

Of course I'm mad that the bills got passed, but educate yourself so you know what it actually covers and what it does not. You only look like a fool otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom