• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I just posted this to the MSRPA Facebook and will be sending as an alert.

During a time of National and State Emergency to deal with the severe issues expected with the spread of COVID-19, the Maryland General Assembly continues its hypocritical attitude on firearms crimes. It is the height of hypocrisy that: 1) the Maryland General Assembly keeps moving non-essential bills while the People's House is closed to the People, and 2) they continue their assault on firearms owners, to make them criminals, while doing nothing to combat the violent crime rampant in this "Free State".

In order to make you a criminal for behavior that has been innocently performed since the founding of the nation, they passed House Bill 4 (Long Gun Transfer Bill) as it was amended in the Senate. The Senate is considering Senate Bill 646 (Firearms Storage) for final passage. House Bill 4 requires all non-loan transfers to take place via an FFL and Senate Bill 646 places restrictions on the storage of ANY firearm (loaded or unloaded).

Meanwhile, Senate Bill 35 (Definition of a Violent Crime), which would make stealing a firearm a felony among other items, languishes in the House Judiciary Committee where Chairman Clippinger has canceled its hearing.

The Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Assocation is an all-volunteer organization fighting for your rights in the Maryland General Assembly. If interested in supporting our organization, feel free to visit our website, https://www.msrpa.org.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I haven't been keeping track with things - but have any Baltimore crime specific bills passed this session?

Curious to know given we have a real problem in the city, and we're here making last minute gun bills that will solve zero crime problems.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Did they remove the provisions for temporary loans (to facilitate training of others or to allow someone, including a family member, to take the firearm to the range)?

Yes. They have some stuff in there about loaning to someone who you know is prohibited, but otherwise loans are the same. Sales OTOH - Lord only knows how that is going to work.

Here is the bill. HB4 (on its way to Governor) was conformed to the SB208 text below:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2020RS/bills/sb/sb0208t.pdf

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yes. They have some stuff in there about loaning to someone who you know is prohibited, but otherwise loans are the same. Sales OTOH - Lord only knows how that is going to work.

Here is the bill. HB4 (on its way to Governor) was conformed to the SB208 text below:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2020RS/bills/sb/sb0208t.pdf

Thanks so much, PowPow. About to leave work (coordinating with other scientists on how we can contribute to COVID-19 research efforts ... gathering reagents that can be shared with COVID-19 testing centers) and read updates (which I am grateful for) on this and the forced locking of my unloaded long guns threads and it reinforces what tools our legislators can be. Public health crisis, but let's rush to criminalize behavior that they can't empirically demonstrate is a pressing societal need.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm not quite understanding what happened...if the Senate amended HB0004 and SB0208, doesn't the House have to pass the amended version, too? And if they don't, then there's a conference committee to resolve the differences leading to final votes in both House and Senate. Did the House ever pass the Senate-amended HB0004? I know they passed the original version, but I never heard them agree to the Senate amendments stripping out the loan provisions. Or did the House pass the amended version and I just didn't notice it?

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    This on FB:
    The Maryland General Assembly just passed HB4, which prohibits the sale or transfer of rifles or shotguns between private individuals without an FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee) conducting a background check. While this seems so "common sense" it has implications that reach much farther.

Imagine someone feeling a bout of depression coming on, maybe after a family crisis of some sort. They might have reached out to a friend and asked them to keep their rifles or shotguns for a while. This bill makes them and their friends FELONS if they do this - loosing their right to own firearms, or hold any of a number of jobs forever. So these people are at GREATER RISK because the aren't going to call their friends, drive an hour to a firearms dealer with their friend, fill out multiple forms for each firearm, have their friend undergo a background check, and then do it all again in a month or two when they are healthy, to transfer them back. So they will keep their firearms at home, and their problems bottled up.

Because some legislator, and people paid to wear red shirts said it will make us safer. From firearms used in a small fraction of crimes committed with firearms.

How does this make us safer?

How does it make that person safer?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I'm not quite understanding what happened...if the Senate amended HB0004 and SB0208, doesn't the House have to pass the amended version, too? And if they don't, then there's a conference committee to resolve the differences leading to final votes in both House and Senate. Did the House ever pass the Senate-amended HB0004? I know they passed the original version, but I never heard them agree to the Senate amendments stripping out the loan provisions. Or did the House pass the amended version and I just didn't notice it?

All the House needed to do was concur with the HB4 as amended by the Senate. That is what they chose to do tonight instead of continue to haggle. It still looks, smells, and tastes bad. They should be ashamed doing this with both chambers closed to the public.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Guys, once one person "retires" from the Supreme Court all this foolishness will be history. Let them pass jim crow laws against us. The mighty five see what the deal is and they will rectify and then some. Yeah, yeah it might take a few years but the time is going by anyway, you'll hardly notice.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I just gave a one-finger salute to Annapolis by exercising my right to sell a private firearm (while I still could) and arming another law-abiding citizen last night.

Will be officially transferring a few more face-to-face to my daughter today too so she is set. My wife's best friend may be getting one too. The MGA has proven itself an enemy of Liberty. A pox on them.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    This is far more dangerous than it appears on the surface. Many fudds see no problem and even agree with it. While this may be a small bite, it will lead to consumption of the whole elephant. The next step is obvious and far more dangerous.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    This is far more dangerous than it appears on the surface. Many fudds see no problem and even agree with it. While this may be a small bite, it will lead to consumption of the whole elephant. The next step is obvious and far more dangerous.

This is part of their long term gun control plan, ban private sales then force gun stores out of business.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I just gave a one-finger salute to Annapolis by exercising my right to sell a private firearm (while I still could) and arming another law-abiding citizen last night.

Will be officially transferring a few more face-to-face to my daughter today too so she is set. My wife's best friend may be getting one too. The MGA has proven itself an enemy of Liberty. A pox on them.
    Speaking of which... Anyone have spare lowers (in Minecraft)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom