• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Just got off zoom call with fellow MD FFLs and lawyers. HB 1396 is very bad, maybe the worst of the bunch in terms of overall effect on 2cd Amendment in MD going forward. Basically it is designed to side step Federal Law called the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA).

If it passes it makes it to arbitrary for a civil lawsuit to proceed against a MD firearm retailer who sells a firearm that even years later is used in a crime. After listening to discussion I seriously doubt most of us will be able to renew liability insurance and/or afford it. If it passes once reality sets in, I expect most of us to close shop shortly after it goes into effect. This is an attempt to shut the vast majority of us down, if not all firearms dealers in MD by making potential insurance cost business prohibitive.

The other bad bill related to dealers are SB 773 and HB 1021. HB 1021 will require;
    - Equipment capable of filming and recording video footage inside and outside of building where firearms are stored
    - Bars or security screens designed to prevent unauthorized entry on all exterior doors and windows of all buildings where firearms are stored;
    - A burglary alarm system that is continually monitored
    - and PHYSICAL BARRIERS DESIGNED TO PREVENT THE USE OF MOTOR VEHICLES TO BREACH ALL BUILDING WHERE FIREARMS ARE STORED.

That last one will put a lot of small FFLs out of business. It will for me as I have all my permits to allow for a homebased business. I have two of three already but would never do the others to my home.

These bills are designed to put most if not all of us out of business. The liability one is the real killer.

If they pass, future gun sales in the State of Maryland and transfers are in serious jeopardy

Abagnale

Jan 27, 2022
    I know a few FFL's that will be rushing to go out of business if this crap passes!
    Maryland will go after them with a vengeance on behalf of the "victims" of course.
    Meh what's one more bad law to add to the books.....
    It's Maryland after all...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    SB773 from Senator Carter has been heavily amended to remove the mandates upon dealers. It instead provides a tax credit that can be claimed for up to $250 by individuals towards the purchase of a firearms storage device(s). It was just given a unanimous favorable report by Judicial Proceedings.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    SB773 from Senator Carter has been heavily amended to remove the mandates upon dealers. It instead provides a tax credit that can be claimed for up to $250 by individuals towards the purchase of a firearms storage device(s). It was just given a unanimous favorable report by Judicial Proceedings.

"Individuals"?

MDGA is going to subsidize a new gun safe for me?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This bill is mere crumbs and I'm not as excited about it as MSI appears to be.

SB773 "Income Tax – Credit for Firearm Safety Devices" was just given a unanimous favorable report with amendment by the Judicial Proceedings Committee. The credit was lowered from $500 to $250, but this is still excellent! Well done Maryland State Senator Jill P. Carter and a big thanks to JPR. We'll add the latest amendments to the tracker when they become available: https://t.co/CkPoJv1X3M

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=maryland shall issue

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    How will they know what you've purchased with that $250 credit, and that it's suitable for the legislatively intended purpose?

For example: I believe that a few of my pistols will be nice and safe hidden inside the box used to ship me a couple bottles of 2018 Beaulieu Vineyards Georges De Latour Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon from California. With shipping, that comes to about $250. No gun thief would think to look inside a dusty old wine shipping box, right? Gimme that sweet $250 so I can make us all safer AND enjoy a big, complex red with a couple of steaks.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It’s a case where instead of seeking to sic more police on gun owners, a choice was made to help instead. $250 is a Vaultek quick access safe or reasonable enough locker. Or it goes toward something more stout. Whatever the case, it’s hell of a lot better approach than to attack people like most gun bills are designed to do every year.

NSSF had been working with Senator Carter after she introduced SB773 in its prior form, which would have gone after dealers. MSI’s original testimony reflects that version. Her office reached out to NSSF, MSI, and others the morning of that hearing to announce that she had changed the bill and was seeking support for it. I’ve testified in Annapolis now for almost 9 years and have never seen this happen. A welcomed surprise.

Only bummer was that it didn’t get sent to the floor in time to be heard on second reading before yesterday ended, so if it passes now, it gets sent to Rules and Exec. Noms in the House instead of going straight to Judiciary. Notably however, the only gun bill that did move was HB1021 from the Speaker, which does go after dealers, albeit not as harshly as when it was introduced. The mandatory storage bills didn’t progress, nor did the polling place gun bans or any of the other gun control bills.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    How will they know what you've purchased with that $250 credit, and that it's suitable for the legislatively intended purpose?

For example: I believe that a few of my pistols will be nice and safe hidden inside the box used to ship me a couple bottles of 2018 Beaulieu Vineyards Georges De Latour Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon from California. With shipping, that comes to about $250. No gun thief would think to look inside a dusty old wine shipping box, right? Gimme that sweet $250 so I can make us all safer AND enjoy a big, complex red with a couple of steaks.

Check the bills texts. The purchase has to comply with that.

As for how would the state know? Same as with many other tax related things. Only if you are ever audited. I can claim lots of stuff on my taxes and it’s only ever an issue if I get audited within 7 years of the tax fraud.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    $250 would have gone a long way for me early on. It took me several years of saving up to even buy a small fireproof gun safe.
    Yeah back when, every time I thought I had safe money I was wrong because it was actually gun money. But this was back when your pickup had a shotgun in the back window and guns were kept in glass door cabinets if they were lucky.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    Yeah back when, every time I thought I had safe money I was wrong because it was actually gun money. But this was back when your pickup had a shotgun in the back window and guns were kept in glass door cabinets if they were lucky.

I remember in high school i ALWAYS had at least two shotguns in the window rack ( how could you invite a friend ? ) I'd be locked up in this day and age , and they would be confinscated to boot .

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I remember in high school i ALWAYS had at least two shotguns in the window rack ( how could you invite a friend ? ) I'd be locked up in this day and age , and they would be confinscated to boot .
    I'm pretty sure truck guns are still legal. But it would have to be out of reach from the driver's seat, and unloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom