fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Tactical shotgun
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mlpotter50#p/a/u/2/okt-OwNXlFc
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mlpotter50#p/a/u/0/NAGOeVShQZU
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mlpotter50#p/a/u/0/sykzQpCE8oM

AR sighting in (Kevp was doing this all day - Very helpful - There was a line of people waiting for his help, including my son seen here)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYafFcLV1Y

Jeff....your son kept on volunteering to go. I think he would have don't it a dozen more times if we had time:D

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    you know, it'd be neat if we could set up for a steel shoot at the next gathering. I've always wanted to try it, but frankly I'm afraid to show up and make a fool of myself. Seeing the course of fire and trying it once outside of competition, perhaps with a demonstration, would be excellent!

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Delta has a monthly steel shoot, and there is no judgement or 'making a fool of yourself'.
    I suggest checking it out if you have the time. I remember it being the last weekend of every month.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Steel shoot is this sunday and nobody judges anybody, this shoot is practice for the most part and nobody takes it seriously. Bring your gun, holster and mags and come shoot with us.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

jeff7457

Apr 18, 2010
    FPS - Drew had a blast and would have done the shotgun all day

Storm40 - we will be attending our first steel shoot this Sunday at delta. Come on out and try it with us

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    you know, it'd be neat if we could set up for a steel shoot at the next gathering. I've always wanted to try it, but frankly I'm afraid to show up and make a fool of myself. Seeing the course of fire and trying it once outside of competition, perhaps with a demonstration, would be excellent!

HAHAHAAAAA...I make a fool out of myself monthly at Delta and I still manage to have a great time!

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect

mrfreeze

Shooter
    Oct 17, 2010
    Crofton
    Not to sound dumb here, but with the tatical shotgun part I have a few questions.
    Why is there only 2 rounds being loaded at the start? Second whats the deal with the RO following with his hand on your back/shoulder? Can you run this course with without the RO and more than 2 rounds in your gun before having to reload?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Not to sound dumb here, but with the tatical shotgun part I have a few questions.
    Why is there only 2 rounds being loaded at the start? Second whats the deal with the RO following with his hand on your back/shoulder? Can you run this course with without the RO and more than 2 rounds in your gun before having to reload?

GOOD QUESTION!!

the way we designed the course was a tactical reload 2 rounds because the threat was IMMEDIATE with 2 zombies presenting itself as targets.

3rdRCN and I were there as a guide for safety purposes. its important to keep in contact with the shooter at all times. Instructions where given. If you listen you'll hear us say "Contact Front" at which time you must engage the nearest target. Then you'll hear us say "RELOAD" and then the shooter will run for cover and reloads. When leaded the shooter will say "UP" and the Safety Officer will acknowledge and say "UP" and then engage 5 targets on the berm.

This is a tactical situation.....if a target presents itself you have to engage it immediately. If you don't you'll be dead while reloading. I hope that makes sense. LMK if i answered your question.

Tactically if the situation dictates for you to Load 1 and fire...load 1 and Fire then thats what has to be done.

mrfreeze

Shooter
    Oct 17, 2010
    Crofton
    GOOD QUESTION!!

the way we designed the course was a tactical reload 2 rounds because the threat was IMMEDIATE with 2 zombies presenting itself as targets.

3rdRCN and I were there as a guide for safety purposes. its important to keep in contact with the shooter at all times. Instructions where given. If you listen you'll hear us say "Contact Front" at which time you must engage the nearest target. Then you'll hear us say "RELOAD" and then the shooter will run for cover and reloads. When leaded the shooter will say "UP" and the Safety Officer will acknowledge and say "UP" and then engage 5 targets on the berm.

This is a tactical situation.....if a target presents itself you have to engage it immediately. If you don't you'll be dead while reloading. I hope that makes sense. LMK if i answered your question.

Tactically if the situation dictates for you to Load 1 and fire...load 1 and Fire then thats what has to be done.

Ok that clears it up. So 2 shots at first then 5 at the end? So this is what you set-up/emplyed during this course. Say if i wanted to run the course could I load up 7 shells fire at the first 2 targets, then proceed to the final 5 at the berm without stopping to reload?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

There are many ways to lay out a course and this was the one they decided on. I ran it twice and it was a lot of fun. It mimics a team in a tactical maneuver.

When the RSO's ran the course they were three man teams and while the shotgunner reloaded the other team members use handguns with live fire to cover the reloader. When the shotgun was loaded the shotgunner yelled "UP", other team members replied, "UP" and holster their pistols and the shotgunner proceeded down range in the course of fire.

In the RSO's running of the course all men behind laid hands on the shoulder of the man in front, so there's no need to turn to see where your team is.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Ok that clears it up. So 2 shots at first then 5 at the end? So this is what you set-up/emplyed during this course. Say if i wanted to run the course could I load up 7 shells fire at the first 2 targets, then proceed to the final 5 at the berm without stopping to reload?

Mr freeze,
    You could run it anyway you want to but we set it up to run with it being 2 then reload and 5. You want to practice things like reloading a shotgun under artificial stress because you will always fall back on your training and if you don't train for it then you'll fail. Having all seven rounds gives no training or knowledge of what needs to be worked on other than moving and shooting, what happens when you have to reload in real life? It's kinda like practicing a failure with your firearms, you do it to become proficient at it and to obtain muscle memory, same principle with reloading.

You are correct Bikebreath.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

you can design the course anyway you want to but this way its designed for 2 reloads. shoot seven rounds in succession and you're done in 10 seconds. its important to learn to reload under stress because you loose your fine motor skills. Only continuous practice will contribute to muscle memory.

most of the shooters were beginner tactical. We employed a minimal amount of stress but if there was more stress involved, lets just say you're taking gunfire, you will result back to your training. There's a saying

"Under stress you won't rise to the occasion but fall back on your training."

The stress we put on the shooters was an audience and moving and shooting which is a new concept for many. people who shoot alot like 3rdRcn or kevp can do it in their sleep. i've watched them shoot.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007

This was intended to give MD Shooters a chance to engage targets in a simulated threat situation with a home defense shotgun. You can come up with many different scenarios to run any drill you like.

This is not something that is regularly done at any range that I'm familiar with outside of you payung a minimum of 150-200 dollars a day for a class taught by a certified instuctor.

I know CCJA and a few others offer Shotgun classes so maybe they could give you more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom