• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Hawaii could be first to put gun owners in federal database
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/0579...ould-be-first-put-gun-owners-federal-database
    HONOLULU (AP) — Hawaii could become the first state in the United States to enter gun owners into an FBI database that will automatically notify police if an island resident is arrested anywhere else in the country.

Most people entered in the "Rap Back" database elsewhere in the U.S. are those in "positions of trust," such as school teachers and bus drivers, said Stephen Fischer of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division. Hawaii could be the first state to add gun owners.

:tinfoil:

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Considering that al-Hawaii (as Mr H calls him) plans on 'retiring' there, it's probably for his own safety ...

<dripping with>
    :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Hixster

Jan 19, 2013
    I could be wrong, but I thought by law there could not be a federal database of gun owners?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I could be wrong, but I thought by law there could not be a federal database of gun owners?

Correct, but there's a "federal database of gun owners" loophole that needs to be closed and that's being held hostage until we agree on closing the "gun show loophole". :sarcasm:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maryland uses the same Form 77r for two different purposes. The main purpose is to conduct a transfer of ownership between two people. This background check and waiting period is not voluntary. A record of the transfer is kept in a database. Over the years, more and more handguns, but not all, are registered in that database.

The second purpose of the Form 77r is to allow an individual to enter their handgun into the database if they wish to do so. This is a truly voluntary registration, and really is a different operation than the transfer of ownership.

One form, two purposes. Think of the money they're saving.

The same form 77r is used for two separate purposes.

Of course it's used when the gun is being transferred, as from a seller to a buyer.
    A record of the transfer goes into a Database of Transfers. That Database keeps growing, and serves to register most but not all regulated weapons.

If you move to Maryland and already own handguns, you are offered the privilege of Voluntarily entering your guns into the Database. You may do the same with Grampaw's old Luger, the one he personally captured from Rommel himself. To save paper, the same form is used for this second purpose.

In the second case, there's no change of ownership, so it's not a Record of Transfer. They have to call it something, so they call it a Voluntary Registration.

Of course, O'Malley has been gloating about the Database for years:

O'MALLEY: WE MAP THE LOCATION OF GUN OWNERS AND CCW HOLDERS HOMES!

And the new law removes the "Voluntary" part for new residents. You still don't have to "register" Rommel's Luger, though.

"Voluntary Registration" is still optional for residents who already possess legal handguns (and I suppose now-banned long guns) which were never previously entered into the Database.

That could be Grampaw's old Luger, the one he captured "from Rommel hisself." It might be a handgun a Maryland resident bought in a legal face-to-face/no paperwork sale before 1996. Perhaps someone moved here from Texas back in 2010 and now wants to get his handguns "on the books" to clarify their legality or ownership. Perhaps he got a Maryland Carry Permit and wants to carry that "unregistered" H&K P7 he bought in Houston back in '87.

In all those cases, "registration" would still be "voluntary", so it makes sense to retain that language, I suppose. Remember, the confusion comes from using the same form 77r for two separate purposes.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Maryland uses the same Form 77r for two different purposes. The main purpose is to conduct a transfer of ownership between two people. This background check and waiting period is not voluntary. A record of the transfer is kept in a database. Over the years, more and more handguns, but not all, are registered in that database.

The second purpose of the Form 77r is to allow an individual to enter their handgun into the database if they wish to do so. This is a truly voluntary registration, and really is a different operation than the transfer of ownership.

One form, two purposes. Think of the money they're saving.

The Stasi would be SO proud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom