• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I know it's a pipe dream that HK would ever issue a civilian version of that thing, but damn that's nice.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Looks like it wouldn't be hard to drop your mag instead of releasing your bolt....

Other then that I prefer metal(even aluminum like the AR) to tupperware... That thing is like the Chevy Avalanche of guns...

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Yep, got to check 2 of them out at APG a couple weeks ago. Serial # 370 and 390 #370 was just like the one in the video.

It's a G36 with different clothing. Not really all that impressed with them. They had some nice electronic sights on them and one of them was the "squad automatic weapon" version, it had a longer barrel and a Beta Mag.

Good decision to stick with the M16

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    reference for that comment?

I'm talking about looks... I have no idea what they're made of or what kind of internals they have...

The XM8 and the SCAR both look like something that could be set to phase or pulse depending on what alien you're up against... I like my guns to look like guns...not plastic toys...

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    I know what you mean. I just think that it is possible FN has made a pretty good rifle. If the civilian models is starting at ~$2,300 and it is winning the SOCOM contract, it maybe better than something else.

I think the plastics are taking over: easier to manufacture, stronger, easier to maintain, last longer, and they corrode less.

another good up and coming rifle is the http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_rec7.aspx

but the military will never switch to 6.8spc.
    Someone testing the XM8 said it melted and the sighting system is can become easily distorted.

A poll from somewhere else says that the HK-416 is the best platform.

I'm pretty sure the HK-416's performance and the XM-8's inherent problems ended the XM8.

So if your into this thread you should get the Barrett 6.8, FN-SCAR, or HK-416 all of which cost well over $2,000 and out perfom the XM8

If you want to do that fantasy stuff http://www.tk560.com/m41a.html

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Mark,

The HK416 had nothing to do with the XM8's demise. The XM8 went away because the Army did not have a valid requirement to procure the weapon system. The XM8 was the kinetic platform of the Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW). When OICW requirement was cancelled, the Army attempted to move forward on just the kinetic piece without a valid requirement and that is a no-no. Also, the prior post stating that the XM8 is really just a G36 is absolutely correct. Kevin

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Mark,

One more thing...the XM8 outperformed the SCAR, HK416, and the M4 in the recent dust test. That is only one test but it did consist of 10ea. guns of each model with each firing 6000 rds. The XM8 performed very well granted both it and the SCAR (at that point) have to be considered prototype guns as neither was in full scale production. Remember that the XM8 wasn't canned due to performance. Kevin

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    So if your into this thread you should get the Barrett 6.8, FN-SCAR, or HK-416 all of which cost well over $2,000 and out perfom the XM8.

Actually, the 6.8 uppers will fit and function with the AR lowers, even using the existing mags. So, for about $400 - $500 depending on length and manufacturer, you can get a 6.8 upper and use 1 lower for both 5.56 and 6.8.

Myself, I'm working to save and build an 18" rifle in 6.8. If the $$ happens to be there, I might build a 6.5 Grendel also. Now THAT'S a bada$$ round.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Gibby,

I don't work at Michaelsville, but wish I did. I am a retired Army officer and now a DA civilian. My last job had me square in the middle of a lot of the current rifle controversy. I'll leave it at that.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Actually, the 6.8 uppers will fit and function with the AR lowers, even using the existing mags. So, for about $400 - $500 depending on length and manufacturer, you can get a 6.8 upper and use 1 lower for both 5.56 and 6.8.

Myself, I'm working to save and build an 18" rifle in 6.8. If the $$ happens to be there, I might build a 6.5 Grendel also. Now THAT'S a bada$$ round.

What's the best price you've seen for 6.5G complete uppers? I really want to get one, but I'll be a while saving yet. :sad20:

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    What's the best price you've seen for 6.5G complete uppers? I really want to get one, but I'll be a while saving yet. :sad20:

I've only seen them from Sabre Defense, and they start around $900 and run up to $1500 depending on want. It's not cheap, so I'm not sure when this will ever get built.

You might want to look around the 6.5 G Forum. A lot of good info there. Nice pics too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom