Has anyone had problems with Hodgdon Varget and the Hornady powder thrower!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    I absolutely was in a crunch last night to make some loads for my 5.56. However when I looked at my stash all I could find was Varget. I knew this was gonna be a problem considering the rotor and cup on the Hornady powder thrower was gonna jam and powder was gonna go everywhere. sure enough about 30 rounds into loading (Hornady LnL AP progressive) I had to clean the unit because of amount of powder being spilled. I love using H335 and H322, but I will never progressively reload with Varget again. If anyone has a tip for me I am all ears.:)

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Stick powder is the bane of many powder throwers. I use the Lee scoops for it, and trickle the last little bit.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I load everything by hand with the lee dippers as well. Only because I have tried several different powder measures and none of them seem to do any better than dipping the scoop and leveling off to pour the charge. I hear stories all the time about different powders getting hung up and having issues in a lot of powder measures and hoppers, so, I just keep on dippin' and scoopin'

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Heck, for the price of one of those powder measures, buy an RCBS Chargemaster and have it dispense and weigh every charge.

Slower than the fancy measure, but faster then weighing every charge manually.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I load everything by hand with the lee dippers as well. Only because I have tried several different powder measures and none of them seem to do any better than dipping the scoop and leveling off to pour the charge. I hear stories all the time about different powders getting hung up and having issues in a lot of powder measures and hoppers, so, I just keep on dippin' and scoopin'

Dippin and scoopin, that goes hand in hand with achieving suburb accuracy and low standard deviation between rounds.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Heck, for the price of one of those powder measures, buy an RCBS Chargemaster and have it dispense and weigh every charge.

Slower than the fancy measure, but faster then weighing every charge manually.

Well I guess its for those that can, And for for those that can't that's why Richard Lee and others are in business. I shot benchrest a long time and for the guys that did there loading at the range during the match, most used Harrell's or other high end powder measures.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I've used a Redding benchrest powder measure for decades and it does fine with most powders,even the stick powders, very consistent charge weights.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I've used a Redding benchrest powder measure for decades and it does fine with most powders,even the stick powders, very consistent charge weights.

Almost all of my dies are Redding and if there measures are built as well as there dies I am sure it is top shelf.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Forget all that, I use a LEE thrower, omega tricker and a scott Parker tuned scale all for less than $200. A granular of varget will move it off zero.

I now it's manual but my ammo won't ever be the issue.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a Lee powder thrower, I prefer stick and flake powders with it because the ball powders tend to trickle out of the sides of the thrower. It's actually pretty consistent with stick powders like IMR 4895 and Varget. I still have my pack of Lee dippers, too. They're good enough for less than maximum loads, and with a little practice are pretty consistent. I've been reloading since 1989, I have not blown up a firearm yet and I don't plan on it, either.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I use an RCBS Uniflow with micrometer drum and baffle to throw Varget. I get +/- .2gr and all three calibers I load with it shoot better than I do. The calibers are .223, .308 and .30-06. I will be getting a Culver at some point because the Varget loads are for precision. I'm considering progressive loading some .223 but if I do that it will be with a ball powder, either BL-C2 or H335.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom