Has anyone done a transfer at the Rockville Barracks, Maryland State Police?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Hi -

I just agreed to buy an AR lower and need to get it transferred. I have never done this through the MSP before, so I have no frame of reference. Does anyone have any experience with transfers using the Rockville MSP barracks for transfers?

Would I be better off spending the extra $30-$50 to get an FFL to do the transfer?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Rob.

boomboom929

Dec 13, 2008
    Rockville
    You have to bring a check to do the transfer, they don't take cash. I think there has to be more than one Trooper there to be able to do the transfer. I've done it several times at barrack N. They've been nothing but professional and accommodating.

If it's just a lower, put it in a box. Where are you transferring from, another MD citizen or from another dealer?

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I did one there back in January and it was a smooth process. As someone mentioned above, leave the firearm in the car and they will come out to verify the serial number.

Also, I thought the state set a limit on the fee a FFL can charge for a face to face transfer. I could be wrong.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Did one like two months ago there and on tuesday at the westminister barracks. As previously stated. DO NOT BRING THE GUN INSIDE!!. A trooper will walk you out to your vehicle and conduct a safety check then bring the gun inside for serial number check and such. Have with you you state ID and a personal check made out to MSP for 10 bucks. All in all the paperwork takes a solid 10 mins. The hardest part about the whole thing is trying to find a pen once you realize the one you brought doesn't work. Very professional up there. Also like someone mentioned. just give them a call ahead of time, they are supposed to do them 24/7 but sometimes will ask you to come at a specific time because troopers get busy during rush hour, they would rather be writing tickets and giving people their accident reports. Good luck!

pedropcola

Feb 8, 2009
    I just tried to transfer a stripped lower to my neighbor at the Frederick MSP barracks. They wouldn't do it. Told me that my lower wasn't on the "list". I assume he meant the handgun roster but I didn't want to argue and he didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about and not very friendly so I didn't press.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You do know that receivers are NOT regulated!!! They aren't on any list and they are not a handgun.

pedropcola

Feb 8, 2009
    No kidding. I know he was reading off the handgun list, ie it wasn't listed. I tried to explain that to the PO and all he wanted to talk about was "assault rifles", "not on the list", etc. For a bit he actually started to talk like I wasn't even legally entitled to own the stripped lower. It was at that point that I suggested to my buddy that we retrieve the paperwork and just go through my FFL. I printed out the FAQ's from the MSP and they clearly state that you can do exactly what I tried to do and exactly how we were doing it. If the police can't or won't do the process though you kind of get stymied. Very disappointed in the buffoonery that me and my buddy endured.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Here is the deal...

Lowers (possibly excepting the AK action) are not regulated because

A. They are not a handgun [by definition in 5-101(p)], handguns have a barrel of less than 16". Stripped lowers have no barrel, thus are not covered there.

B. They are not a copy or imitation of an assault weapon listed (i.e. they lack all the other parts to fall into this classification). The lower might be used to build any number of non-regulated configurations (e.g. a piston driven AR, an AR-57, or an HBAR AR-15), it is thus impossible to regulate an AR lower because it is NOT an assault weapon. It could become one, but that is NOT what the law says.

Maryland law does not prohibit the transfer of receivers at the police barracks and you can voluntarily transfer/register any weapon on a 77R as far as I know including non-regulated firearms. Many FFL's transfer non-regulated weapons that they feel are in the "grey area" to ensure that they are not butt-raped later by MSP, and I don't blame them for this very conservative approach, they have a lot to lose.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Any FFL's doing lowers as cash & carry?? I've been out of the loop for a while so I don't know if this is the new normal. . . .

Here is the deal...

Lowers are not regulated because

A. They are not a handgun [by definition in 5-101(p)], handguns have a barrel of less than 16". Stripped lowers have no barrel, thus are not covered there.

B. They are not a copy or imitation of an assault weapon listed (i.e. they lack all the other parts to fall into this classification). The lower might be used to build any number of non-regulated configurations (e.g. a piston driven AR, an AR-57, or an HBAR AR-15), it is thus impossible to regulate an AR lower because it is NOT an assault weapon. It could become one, but that is NOT what the law says.

Maryland law does not prohibit the transfer of receivers at the police barracks and you can voluntarily transfer/register any weapon on a 77R as far as I know including non-regulated firearms. Many FFL's transfer non-regulated weapons that they feel are in the "grey area" to ensure that they are not butt-raped later by MSP, and I don't blame them for this very conservative approach, they have a lot to lose.

pedropcola

Feb 8, 2009
    Like I said earlier. I understand that the transfer was legal (I won't argue necessary) but the point is the sergeant behind the counter WOULD NOT do it. Whether it was plain old ignorance of his own job or he just didn't want to do it, I don't know but the end result is the same. Frederick barracks. Stay away from those guys. Or more correctly the idiot that was on duty yesterday. I am glad to hear that other barracks have worked out as they should have, not the case in Frederick. Just passing along my experience.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    One of my buddies had to force the MD Trooper at Rockville to do the MSP paperwork for an AR lower transfer. They're not *that* well-versed in what is and isn't on the list.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I did a transfer at the Frederick Barracks today it took like 20 min total time in the place. The troopers were very helpful and very knowledgeable on transfers. $10 was a good deal ! VERY Refreshing not a problem .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom