• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland

Thanks for sharing. WW2 survival must have been tough. "Spit Soup", not much meat except for liver or beef tongue. I think I'll be appreciating my dinner more than usual tonight..

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    During the lock down last year, I collected a bunch of dandelion roots to make dandelion coffee. My neighbors thought I totally lost it in isolation. After a week sun dry, roast in oven and grind, they looks like coffee, but instead of cup of Joe, mine tasted like a cup of mud. I screwed it up somewhere.

Going to try again this year, the dandelion flower salad receipt looks simple enough and going to try it too. My wife is going to hhhhate it.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    During the lock down last year, I collected a bunch of dandelion roots to make dandelion coffee. My neighbors thought I totally lost it in isolation. After a week sun dry, roast in oven and grind, they looks like coffee, but instead of cup of Joe, mine tasted like a cup of mud. I screwed it up somewhere.

Going to try again this year, the dandelion flower salad receipt looks simple enough and going to try it too. My wife is going to hhhhate it.

Dandelions will never mimic actual coffee beans. Your expectations must be realistic.

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Foraging foods

Garlic mustard is a weed that cooks up nicely with little effort. My wife cooked some up- tastes like broccoli rabe. Weed the garden and eat at the same time. Rose hips are another one, tasty. Just make sure you know how to identify plants

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD

My grandpa made his decaf coffee from chicory roots — they should bloom all over the place by mid-summer. He swore by it.
    https://external-content.duckduckgo...id=OIP.HUO5Ahl_6Pu8HsLI5JM4KgHaE7&pid=Api&f=1

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Can you still get Government surplus cheese? You know, the big blocks of cheddar? I used to see them in the commissary's for next to nothing.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Stock up on grains, the prices are going through the roof.

While some North American millers have said they have enough grain on hand from past harvests to continue producing for several months, prolonged or repeated disruptions to grain trading could eventually contribute to already-inflated food prices.

Meanwhile, the inability to sell some of their winter wheat - whose harvest starts in June - is putting the squeeze on U.S. farmers. Growers like the Ehmkes need cash now to pay for seed and fertilizer ahead of spring planting, as well as for land rent and tax bills coming due.
    https://news.yahoo.com/wheat-prices-soar-ukraine-fears-101446998.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom