• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Looking for some help here from the experts.

I recently found a Harrington and Richardson "Plainsman" Model 865 rifle (.22) in my dad's closet.

The stock in in good shape, the bore looks good, and the action works fairly freely. The magazine looks very good and while it might need a little oil, there seems to be nothing wrong with it.It hasn't been fired or oiled for more than 30 years and is somewhere over 40 years old.

I know it's not a "valuable" rifle, but there are stories surounding it in my family. So it's an hierloom to us.

My question is basic: how can I go about restoring it? The barrel is pitted, but not terrible. The stock has some handling marks, but I probably won't do more than apply some treatment to it (I want to keep the marks).

I want to stabilize the gun's condition and make sure it is safe to fire (everything looks good so far). I want to clean up the barrel as best as I can and take care of the wood. Of course, I am going to want to clean the bolt and chamber.

Help?

The rifle is really heavy for a .22 and was reportedly very accurate. I think it is worth preserving for the family but I don't want to put hundreds of dollars into a $100 gun.

Splitter

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    To start, I'm not famliar with this H&R but have a number of .22s. That said, take my suggestions as you will. First, google 'rimfirecentral.com' and register. They have specific forums for different rimfires and a ton of experts (plus some semi-experts with a lot of opinions).
    Basically, its unusual to screw up a .22 if its been cared for at all. If yours is 'in the family', its most likely basically fine. You said the barrel was 'pitted', I really assume you mean the exterior, not inside the barrel. All .22 ammo has been non-corrosive for a VERY long time, so interior pitting is, today, rare. A much bigger problem would be improper cleaning with a jointed rod working against the muzzle (thats what I did to my first rifle). Exterior pitting only harms the appearance. If you have rusting, use OOOO steel wool or brass wool with oil and light pressure to remove. Clean the barrel from the breech, with a solid rod, if you have one. Hoppes, other commerial cleaners, or 'Eds Red' homemade work well enough unless you need a copper cleaner too.
    I assume you have a wood stock from your question. If true, basic cleaning with acetone or simple green, followed by some stock oil will take care of most issues. You can 'steam' out dents if you so choose but get additional guidance before proceeding (one source: CMP website, look for M-1 stock restoration).
    I'd be glad to help, if you have any further need. (I'll be out for the next week after today.) :party29:

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    thumbs_up_left.gif
    Rimfire Central
    thumbs_up_right.gif

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I can re-store it and refinish all the metal parts for you, as I need projects to do in Gunsmith school and I can't afford to buy 12 guns for this semester on my own dime. I'm looking for friends/family to work on guns for because it would mean a lot more to me than to get some junky gun at a yard sale/gun show and have to sell it later.

Splitter, please check your PM inbox!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom