• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Sep 16, 2009
    Harford County Sheriff Deputies were in the area the other day distributing brochures about Crime Prevention. The brochure recommends that people in Harford County not have guns in the home for safetys sake. It further states that if you do own a gun it should be unloaded and locked up in a cabinet and that the ammunition should be locked up in a seperate place. At first glance this seemed innocent enough but on second thought it makes home defense impossible. Also, it really flies in the face of the Supreme Court Heller and MacDonald decisions. What do you guys think? Should the police tell us not to have guns or should that be the role of elected politicians? By the way, in Harford County, the sheriff is an elected post but has no legislative power.

Attachments

• guns.jpg
      guns.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 773
    • gunsa.jpg
      gunsa.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 857
    • gunsb.jpg
      gunsb.jpg
      81.2 KB · Views: 778

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    "teach your children to never handle guns."
    "do not let you children play with realistic toy guns."

What the hell is the matter with these people?

I like sheriff bane as a person, he's a family friend, but this is just pain retarded, and really frustrating.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    They can recommend whatever they want, but you don't have to follow it. I would have explained it differently. I would have said, if you own guns, make sure you have the proper education in their safe use and storage, if you don't have the education, don't own guns.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    This is just pure stupidity. You have a gun for home defense purposes, it shouldn't be in a place separate from the ammo. It should be locked in a small gun safe within reach anytime during the night. Responsible gun owners do not cause safety problems. The sheriff needs a boot to his butt for suggesting the stupidity.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    That has been their recommendation since Sheriff Bane was a corporal and ran the neighborhood watch program.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The booklet is on crime prevention. What do any of those recommendations have to do with crime prevention? Sure a criminal could break in and steal a gun, but by that point a crime has already been committed. :rolleyes:

Clearly this booklet is just someone pushing their political agenda.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The booklet is on crime prevention. What do any of those recommendations have to do with crime prevention? Sure a criminal could break in and steal a gun, but by that point a crime has already been committed. :rolleyes:

Not really, it is a crime in MD, if you have children having access to firearms.

There are some items about general storage, and keeping guns out of the kids hands, just remember this is a guide (nothing more, nothing less).

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    "teach your children to never handle guns."
    "do not let you children play with realistic toy guns."
    What the hell is the matter with these people?

I like sheriff bane as a person, he's a family friend, but this is just pain retarded, and really frustrating.
    Agree. What is wrong with these cops? Teach your children to handle guns safely. Duh.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011

Perhaps the release of said book is/was a requirement to receive some sort of federal funding? It looks pretty federal government/cookie cutter in nature. (Add agency/sheriff here)

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Not really, it is a crime in MD, if you have children having access to firearms.

There are some items about general storage, and keeping guns out of the kids hands, just remember this is a guide (nothing more, nothing less).

Yet, their primary recommendation is to remove firearms from the house. That reduces crimes how? :confused:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yet, their primary recommendation is to remove firearms from the house. That reduces crimes how? :confused:

It doesn't, except for the kid thing (which a responsible gunowner would already be sensitive too).

The realistic plastic toy line, looks like something from MAIG...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This means the county sheriff and sheriff's deputies are unarmed at home right? Because that makes them safer.

Sounds like someone bought into the guns are 13% (or 21%, or 80% or whatever the figure is this week) more likely to kill their owner nonsense.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    It makes it faster for the criminals to get into your house, get your stuff, hurt you and your family and get out before they are given a ticket for double parking. :D

Fionnros

Fight Crime, Shoot Back!
    Apr 15, 2011
    Harford County
    I have kids.
    I have guns.
    I keep my guns in a safe. Ammo in a different place
    My kids have toy guns. Nerf, bright fluorescent colored ones. They are NOT allowed to point any weapon what so ever at another person or animal (i.e. dog).
    My kids participate with a local youth marksman club (when we remember to go).

I think this advice is recommended for those who do not know gun safety, even though it is required for purchasing and ownership of guns in this state. I believe the worst thing this brochure does is it causes un-educated people to relate ANY gun with crime, or the potential of a crime from happening.

Like others here have said, they can 'suggest' all they want.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    When is the Harford County Sheriff's office going to announce that all their LEO's with children will be required to leave their guns at work, and not be permitted to take them home? Or are they just "smarter than us", making it o.k.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom