• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Odd, she told me a few yrs back she doesn"t allow any hunting on the property. Maybe she"s changed her attitude since. :shrug:

That may still be true - I the story I heard was not from her, but another guy on old joppa who lives close to the 4way stop at whitacre mill, he said he tried to get permission at olney and that there was only one guy that has permission to hunt there. So that is really just hearsay I guess.

I'm not really sure how much woods would be back there, considering it looks like most of their land (that you can see from the road) is all fields. I have not been back in there since I was kid when my sis used to ride in their.

It is definitely not easy to find good hunting land, because usually when you do, someone already hunts it, or as others have said, the landowner will not allow.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I'm like your dad, I like to see them. However I don't like what they're doing to the deer population.

Oh I was kidding, he can't stand them, he has asked about what suppressed rifles he could use for their 4am wake ups.

Photos attached, huge hole with Buck 100lb lab for perspective. The print was fresh and not Bucks.

Attachments

• IMG_5172.jpg
      IMG_5172.jpg
      169.7 KB · Views: 410
    • IMG_5174.jpg
      IMG_5174.jpg
      141.8 KB · Views: 409

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I'm pretty sure there was a coyote dead on the RT1 bypass near RT24 this morning. Couldn't stop for photo or better look but it was not a domestic dog that I know of. If anybody else saw it chime in as I was running about 60 at the time. Chris

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Oh I was kidding, he can't stand them, he has asked about what suppressed rifles he could use for their 4am wake ups.

Photos attached, huge hole with Buck 100lb lab for perspective. The print was fresh and not Bucks.

Yeah, looks like a coyote track. Red fox dig holes like that too for whatever reason. Not a den hole if it is just a hole and doesn't go anywhere.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I got a new place to trap and the landowner has shot 8 or 9 coyotes in the last 3-4 years. There are also plenty of red fox there. I just haven't caught any yet in 2 checks lol. Hey, one set was worked by a fox, had a track, just in the wrong spot. lol. Caught another fox at my original place today, not killed by a coyote either, thank goodness.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    A MD Shooters member bought this roadkill by today. 28 pound female stink-dog. Stinky gut smell, but was fresh last night sometime before 11pm. But some start smelling bad 5 mins after dying lol. Aberdeen area.

Attachments

• rdkillyotea.jpg
      rdkillyotea.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 366
    • rdkillyoteb.jpg
      rdkillyoteb.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 363

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Wow, already got skinned up, is 28 pounds a big one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 pounds is a young one. I had 2 42 pounders I skinned in july that had been in a guy's freezer since last jan, now those were big coyotes.

I skinned her almost right away, as my buddy who takes my skinned stuff to get rid of for me locally was coming by, so I got her skinned in about 45 minutes. It would have taken less time if not for the banged up insides and smashed skull ( always fun to skin the smashed heads out...).

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    What are these larger things I see every once in awhile? Are they Coywolves? They're about 80 lbs or the size of a German Shepard. They look bigger than my 70 lb lab. I've heard that there are Red Wolves in APG but have never been able to verify that.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    What are these larger things I see every once in awhile? Are they Coywolves? They're about 80 lbs or the size of a German Shepard. They look bigger than my 70 lb lab. I've heard that there are Red Wolves in APG but have never been able to verify that.

I think I have heard the larger ones are called eastern Coy wolves

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Coyote-Wolf Hybrids Have Spread Across U.S. East
    Predators bred with Great Lakes wolves, then moved south, DNA shows.
    By Christine Dell'Amore, National Geographic News
    PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 8, 2011

There was an article in Field and Stream a few years ago about this also.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace

I've never even heard of an eastern coyote going over 65 pounds, and that's really rare too. Could be a coydog, mixed with a large dog breed. But that only happens in an area with very few coyotes, as coyotes tend to want to chase off or kill dogs, not breed with them. Red wolves are endangered and I doubt they would have been intro'd to APG.

80 pounds is the weight of a wolf. Max size range for a red wolf or Algonquin wolf.

mtm1974

Aug 21, 2015
    Cockeysville, MD

https://www.army.mil/article/89882/Coyotes_share_APG_with_humans ---
    A typical coyote resembles a small, lanky German shepherd. They have large erect ears, a long, tapered muzzle, and a bushy tail that is carried low to the ground. Most coyotes are brownish gray in color with a light gray to cream-colored belly. However, a coyote's color varies and some animals appear blond, red, or black. Most coyotes have dark or black hairs over their back and tail and black tail tip.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Pics or it didn't happen

I was a moron and forgot my camera, but took a pic of the hide and the other fox I caught. I do have pics of a skinned fox showing the coyote damage. That 1 is fox #1 killed by a stink dog back in nov, same farm.

Attachments

• 2foxes122216.jpg
      2foxes122216.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 251
    • yotekilledfoxa.jpg
      yotekilledfoxa.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 251

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I was a moron and forgot my camera, but took a pic of the hide and the other fox I caught. I do have pics of a skinned fox showing the coyote damage. That 1 is fox #1 killed by a stink dog back in nov, same farm.

I was just kidding I knew you were serious, but dang that's nuts.

As boundless said, looks like an alien got it LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom