• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Two lessons in under 1 minute.

The important stuff starts at around 1:45 in this video:

Lots to learn from this video, but the parts I'm hoping this thread will focus on are the misfire, then seconds later the slam fire.

Thankfully because he is following the most important firearm safety rules this is just a training/safety opportunity.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Lots to learn from this video, but the parts I'm hoping this thread will focus on are the misfire, then seconds later the slam fire.

I've always waited 30 sec after a misfire before opening the bolt, but my first thought was: is there any science behind that theory? Then I realized there is at least anecdotal evidence. As told to me by Jim Coleman, a benchrest gunsmith that used live in Arlington: he witnessed someone rapid firing a bolt action (don't remember which gun) at his range with frequent misfires. One went off as he opened the bolt, which departed the gun and penetrated the shooters shoulder.

One deer season I left my muzzleloader loaded the entire 2 weeks of the season. I fired it the end of last day of the season, and it was at least 30-45 seconds before it went boom. Pyrodex and a percussion cap.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Lots to learn from this video, but the parts I'm hoping this thread will focus on are the misfire, then seconds later the slam fire. .

I had a bad feeling that powder was going to ignite with that cartridge in his fingers.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I've always waited 30 sec after a misfire before opening the bolt, but my first thought was: is there any science behind that theory? .

The general rule is that you should wait 30 seconds after a misfire as a safe window, because for the first few seconds you don't know if its a misfire or hangfire. The hangfire, if its going to happen at all, should be over in 5-8 seconds. Wait 30, just to safe.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Misfire- gun goes click when you expected a bang.

Hang fire- gun goes click, then bang a second or so later.

Squib- gun goes pop, bullet or wad doesn't clear barrel.

All three of these are potentially dangerous malfunctions of a firearm, but if the shooter takes the appropriate actions and always follows the fundamental safety rules, all three can be safely resolved.

Here's another very short video clip covering the exact same topics (misfire, hang fire, squib load), but the instructor is Irish and the video production is better:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The other issue in the original video was the slam fire. When the firearm bolt closes with enough force (slams) and the firing pin strikes the primer setting off the cartridge. See here for full explination: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamfire

Here is an excellent, real life video of it happening by surprise:

This is an informal shooting outing, granted, but both shooters could have used a little better muzzle disclipline. Safety is everyone's responsibility, and the person handling the firearm is ultimately the most responsible person to ensure the firearm is pointed in a safe direction. At the instant the rifle unexpectantly slam fires, it apprears the shooters buddy was bending over. I can't tell from the camera view but this may have saved his life. The shooter explains the mishap, but he should have exercised better firearm handling and had the rifle pointed at the ground a few yards down range when he let the bolt slam forward.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    But what actually causes a slamfire? Is the firing pin spring too weak or something?

Yes, possible. And more likely there something (dirt, rust, etc.) has trapped the firing pin out so when the bolt slams the round into battery, it fires unexpectedly.

Take a few minutes to review the link I provided above. When you read it you'll see that a lot of firearms don't even have a firing pin retention spring, it's not necessary on a lot of firearms. Some manufacturers simply use very light weigh firing pins so even if inertia throws the pin forward it will not cause a slam fire. Perhaps the most popular and obvious example is the AR15 or M16 family of guns. I've never heard of an AR/M16 having a slam fire. But SKS is apparently a common enough occurrence to be included in the wiki. Maybe its a design flaw?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The other issue in the original video was the slam fire. When the firearm bolt closes with enough force (slams) and the firing pin strikes the primer setting off the cartridge. See here for full explination: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamfire

Here is an excellent, real life video of it happening by surprise:

This is an informal shooting outing, granted, but both shooters could have used a little better muzzle disclipline. Safety is everyone's responsibility, and the person handling the firearm is ultimately the most responsible person to ensure the firearm is pointed in a safe direction. At the instant the rifle unexpectantly slam fires, it apprears the shooters buddy was bending over. I can't tell from the camera view but this may have saved his life. The shooter explains the mishap, but he should have exercised better firearm handling and had the rifle pointed at the ground a few yards down range when he let the bolt slam forward.

fck the slam fire. These fcking kids just slinging the rifles around like they are nothing. I lost it at the possible slam fire. Did the bolt go forward or did he actually pull the trigger? If that other kid didn't move to the right, he would have been shot.

And a side note, the chicken wing on the kid in the blue shirt shooting first just killed me.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Minuteman, a slam-fire is possible in the AR. I know this from firsthand experience.

In my early days of reloading, I had one round that the primer didn't seat to the ideal depth (just a touch high) - I didn't catch it, and that was my mistake.

Happened to be the first round in the magazine, hit the bolt catch to drop the bolt - bang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom