• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    My son lives in Florida, and would like to give me several of his handguns. I'm not sure exactly what is involved here. I assume this would probably have to go through an FFL, correct? Any explanation of how to go about this would be appreciated. I do own several handguns, but all were purchased before all the new laws went into effect. How does this impact the transfer? thanks for any information.

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    I do not have and HQL, but do have a collectors permit. So I would have to get an HQL before any transfers? Also how many guns could be transferred to me at once? Thanks again for any information.

Do you have your HQL? Are you a designated collector?

Must go through an FFL.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    With an HQL and MD Collector status you can process all of them through an FFL in one visit.

Your son will be working with an FFL on his end and that FFL will provide those docs to whomever accepts your transfers here.

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    Thanks for this. I guess I will start trying to figure out what I need to do to get an HQL.

With an HQL and MD Collector status you can process as all of them through an FFL in one visit.

Your son will be working with an FFL on his end and thst FFL will provide those docs to whomever accepts your transfers here.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Get livescan prints done. Use a handgun you own as a training exemption. Do the MSP application on their website. Wait for the HQL in the mail.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Strictly speaking your son doesn't need to use an FFL on his end , and can ship directly to your FFL . Check first with your FFL , as not all FFL's care to accept shipments from individuals. Also have your son do a price check for FFL fees in his area and shipping costs, FFL fees are low enough , might come out ahead.

And if the handguns your son are sending are mfg pre-1965 , or otherwise C&R elibable , you will NOT need an HQL ( but still need FFL and submit 77R ).

With your Designated Collector status , you can receive all the guns in a single *Transaction* , but with the 7 day waiting period , will still require an minimum of two physical visits , and probably an initial visit to discuss things with FFL to be on same page before your son sends them.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    My hat is off to biggfoot44 for clarifying any clarification left un-clarified by me

Seriously, he is right that you can "process" a batch of shootin' irons in one visit but must return to get them after you "cool off " for 8 days. And I always forget about how groovy it is to acquire a pre-1965 firearm without a Handgun Mother May I license.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It's very expensive to ship hand guns as they have to go over nite. If your son is coming to MD he can bring the guns and you guys can do the transfers at a local FFL all at once after you get your HQL and collectors letter.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    My son hasn't offered me any of his guns, but if he did what would i do with them? Sell them, .....probably not. If it's something I am itching to sell or trade, he can keep it. Give them/will them to his brother? That doesn't seem very good for sibling rivalry.

When I am finished shooting here on earth, he is going to get them back.

He could leave these at your house until it's time to take them home. Sort of like grand children. You are responsible for the care and feeding while they are your place.

If that's illegal, could someone tell my son to get his wake board, college texts and overhead projector out of my house?

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Another question, if the some or all of the son's handguns are >50 years old (or otherwise qualify as C&R) could the OP not get a C&R FFL and receive them directly from either his son or the son's FFL (after sending the FFL a copy of his C&R license)? Just thinking here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom