• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate-X

Jul 20, 2010
    Hollywood, Maryland
    Well, I'm left handed, shoot rifles and pistols left handed and my left eye is supposedly the dominant one. I've never had any problems with shooting rifles with my left eye. My vision, however is slightly worse in my left eye than my right eye (things look blurrier through my left than my right). I have found that I suck shooting handguns with my left eye and do MUCH better with my right eye. I was at Sanners earlier today.. gotta love a completely open range.. yeeeeha hehe and started by shooting with my left eye.. well I shot through the right side of my target stand lol.. as soon as I started using my right eye while still holding the pistol left handed I was doing much better so stuck with that.

Are there problems shooting a pistol left handed but with your right eye or would I have to start shooting with my right hand.... ugh. I shudder at the thought.

Thank yas =)

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    If you lock your left wrist so it stays in-line with your left arm but cock your head to the left to get your right eye in line, then it probably wouldn't matter much.

If you torque your left wrist away from being in-line with your left arm to line up the sights with your right eye, then probably yes, since your left arm and shoulder won't be absorbing all the recoil.

Or so it seems to me.

Bryan

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    You are just fine shooting the way that works best for you and produces the desired results, especially with a handgun. Don't worry about it and have fun.:)

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    My thought is that if you shoot better a certain way to shoot that way. There are lots of people who have excelled at things by going against the grain. As long as your controlling the gun and putting the shots on target have at it.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I usually just turn my head a little so my left eye lines up with my pistol (which is in my right hand).

Chase

Dec 28, 2007
    cross dominance

I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I usually just turn my head a little so my left eye lines up with my pistol (which is in my right hand).

That's how we teach cross-eye dominant students in basic pistol and First Steps

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va

I have the same issue. I shoot rifle left handed and pistol right. I tilt my head in slightly to sight down the barrel. I have found recently that it helps me to paint the front sight to help me to focus on the front sight. It seems as I get older, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Nate, that is one of the suggestions I made at the range last week. I know several right handed left eye dominant shooters that do just that. Use your dominant eye. In the case of a handgun you can use whichever hand is most comfortable.

Trigger control is a major part of the problem as well. Have you done any dry fire exercises?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    With what type of sights do you used with both eyes open?

With handguns? Good ole three-dots. By turning my head a little to the right, my brain does a better job of zoning out the ghost picture. Even the smallest adjustment to the right is usually enough (because of my left-eye dominance).

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I guess my other question is why shoot with both eyes open????

I do practice and am a decent enough shot with one eye----- would I be twice as good with both eyes open??:innocent0

What is the advantage, or is it just a matter of personal preference????

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I do practice and am a decent enough shot with one eye----- would I be twice as good with both eyes open??:innocent0

I shoot trap with both eyes open. May explain why I miss so many. :D

Better field of vision.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB

Field-of-vision. In a self-defense scenario, it'd be a good idea to have as much field of vision as possible.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I shoot trap with both eyes open. May explain why I miss so many. :D

Better field of vision.

I don't even know if I could do it if I tried.... hell-- I can't even stop myself from pumping the shotgun as soon as I pull the trigger when shooting trap.... (too much bird hunting as a kid I guess--- I could be the only person to ever double tap a Mourning Dove:lol: .....guess now I'll have to try it...

Saturday when I shot trap, some of the guys were talking about this......
    Hmmmmmm....... Great-- one more thing to start thinking about!!!!!:mad54:

Nate-X

Jul 20, 2010
    Hollywood, Maryland
    Nate, that is one of the suggestions I made at the range last week. I know several right handed left eye dominant shooters that do just that. Use your dominant eye. In the case of a handgun you can use whichever hand is most comfortable.

Trigger control is a major part of the problem as well. Have you done any dry fire exercises?

Yepper, I've done some and had my gf load some of my mags with snap caps so I wouldn't know which ones were live hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom