• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Of the specific three choices , the XDm . Because if you're only going to have one , it shouldn't be a .40 .
    As long as the XDm fits the OP , additional adjustability is moot .

Of course there are any number of options not included in the origional post.

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    I was going to go on a rant about how much the M&P 40's trigger sucks. And by sucks I mean it is horrendous, if you are competition shooting and you get this pistol might as well purchase a new trigger with it too. But none the less I am still a proud owner of this fine piece of metal. I love the idea of being able to change between 9mm, .40, and .357 (I think that's the other one). The pistol shoots well, feels great in the hand, and is accurate (when you can get past the horrible trigger pull).

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    This is great. Thank you all for your help.

Looks like I may need to go back to the range and rent a Glock or two to see if they feel better. Other than the 17 and the 26 which were shot recently and Gen 4 I believe, the others were all the original versions and it has been over 10 years since I shot them. My father's carry gun (he is lucky enough to live out in the free world) is the Glock 26 and I know that is not what I want.

For those of you suggesting other HG's, I am not hellbent on the models I posted in the original post. Those were the ones I have shot and liked that were in my budget and in stock at the shop I know will release to me on the 8th day with no prior relationship/purchases from them.

I did hold a couple of FN's which were comfy. I'm hesitant to purchase without firing the gun first. I am open to suggestions for others if I can find them, afford them, and get them before 10/1.

NOTE: I think most of you can figure out my budget from the 3 HG's I posted but JIC, The top end is +/- $700 and I would rather stay significantly below that if possible. The XD-M Tac Pac was that price and that's the only reason I went that high.

Last edited:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Many, if not all of these were at Constitutional Arms when I was there. FN's, HK's, Glocks, S&W, Ruger, Beretta, I could go on. That may be a long way for you.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    +7 with the glock gen4

I am a bit biased (I run glocks for comp & HD); if a glock is not a possible choice, could you go to a range that rents handguns and just try a bunch?

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I am a bit biased (I run glocks for comp & HD); if a glock is not a possible choice, could you go to a range that rents handguns and just try a bunch?

I have done that a few times and shot lots of different HG's. I've also taken friends and tried their HG's. That's how I helped narrow it down to the 3 posted HG's. I will be re-trying the Glocks this week if I can get to the range.

I'm down to affordability and availability before 10/1 now. I can name 6 HG's I would buy without question right now if I could afford them but they are out of my price range (Sig226, 229, HK USP, Beretta 96, Beretta 92, and a 1911)

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Not sure if it helps, but shooters connection has 10 STI Spartans in-stock for 725. They are made by armscor for STI and are similar to the rock island 1911's (same manufacturer). Also, for that matter you might be able to find a R.I. 1911 for 500ish. There were a bunch on gunbroker between 400-600.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    S&W M&P40 owner checking in.

The trigger is no comparison to a similar Glock...however, I did NOT like how the comparable Glock felt in my hand and I did not like how it looked. Those are both very important to me.

Also having a 9mm conversion barrel and 17rd 9mm mags is fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom