• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    My wife has been shooting with me and loves shooting my gp100 6". She likes revolvers better than semi autos, but she wants something smaller than the 6" gp100. I was leaning towards an sp101 in 2-3" barrel or an lcr in 357 mag both of which she could shoot .38 specials out of if full house 357s are too much. Any other suggestions? I know the sp101s seem hard to find around the area as ruger is having production problems but I'm sure finding one online wouldn't be a problem. I know the lcrs are available though.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    How about a S&W Model 19 or 66.? 2.5 inch barrel, .357...not as heavy as a SP101, but not as light as an LCR.

A great K Frame .357.

Of course, I am an admitted S&W fanboy. :D

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The two best choices ever, IMO, are the S&W Model 66 4" and Ruger Security Six 4", both in .357Mag. I have plenty of revolvers. Those two are easily my favorites. The S&W Model 65 LadySmith is also a nice choice if you can find one, since it's basically a Model 66 with lighter trigger pull and a fixed rear notch (instead of an adjustable rear sight).

If you or she doesn't mind a .38Sp revolver (I like them a lot), Lou at Shooter's Discount typically has nice S&W Model 64 police trade-ins for around $300.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=84529

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The Sp-101 is the revolver that my ex-wife chose after a lot of shooting a few years ago. She had small hands and was not an experienced shooter by any standard. With 158gr .38+p, she was accurate and comfortable. I consider them to be very fine guns.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I like my 4" GP100. If you are using speed loaders, getting a similar gun in a shorter barrel is the way to go, so you don't get the speed loaders mixed up. And you don't have to buy new, used ones are around and it's difficult to break Ruger revolvers.

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Well going beyond revolvers, i might be able to find a semi auto she will like too. She's only shot the glock 17, an old h&r .22 revolver and the gp100 and likes that 100 times more than the other two. She says the .22 doesn't do anything for her. Not enough boom. She's from Louisiana so I understand. The glock she doesn't particularly care for. I have a 1911 on order that I'd like her try just to see. Women can chime in too if they have some favorites. That'd be helpful. Thanks!

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    Well going beyond revolvers, i might be able to find a semi auto she will like too. She's only shot the glock 17, an old h&r .22 revolver and the gp100 and likes that 100 times more than the other two. She says the .22 doesn't do anything for her. Not enough boom. She's from Louisiana so I understand. The glock she doesn't particularly care for. I have a 1911 on order that I'd like her try just to see. Women can chime in too if they have some favorites. That'd be helpful. Thanks!

Browning P-35 and CZ75's are purrrrdy.. and shoot damn good too.

definitely wait until she can fire a few rounds from your 1911, she might want one of those.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

The only other gun my ex liked was a Glock 19. The full sized Glocks were just too big for her hands, but she liked the mids.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    If she likes revolvers, find an old school Colt Detective Special..the 6 shots are better, as compared to the 5 most snubbies have now.

Stay away from a S&W Airweight. Every time I have a lady in class with an Airweight, by the end of class she's hating that purchase decision.

If you are thinking about semi-autos, check out a Bersa. The ladies seem to love 'em.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    My wife shoots a 4" S&W 620. Essentially a 7 shot .357 similar to the 686+ but without the full underlug on the barrel. Avoid the small lightweight stuff. There seems to be a presumption that a small lightweight gun means small light recoil when, in fact, the opposite is true.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Why do people always assume women need small guns? Small guns are hard to shoot and kick more for a given caliber. Have her get this and she'll be happy.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57954_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
    220073_01_lg.jpg

It'll have 17+1 capacity as opposed to 7 or 8. It will have a good consistent 5lb striker fired trigger with built in passive safeties and no external safeties for ease of training and use. She will be able to get a full grip on it(a very high grip, giving the gun a very low bore axis and reducing muzzle flip). If she doesn't like the grip size, she can change from small to medium to large. It's pretty, with pink stuff and a breast cancer awareness ribbon...chicks dig that stuff. It's got highly useable sights with a bright pink fiberoptic front sight. Especially if you choose to throw in an apex trigger kit(highly recommend the RAM and modified striker block at a minimum), it's going to be hard to beat in the price range.

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    My wife started with a bersa .380 thunder but has shot all my pistols and to my amazement likes my 1911 the best. So there is no perfect gun for a woman as long as she's comfortable and proficient with the firearm that's all that matters

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Take her to a range that rents guns. Let her pick the gun out. You are only there to look macho and pay for gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom