Handgun/caliber criteria for live fire requirement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Ha, just catching up on this thread - lots of good (and funny!) discussion.

For those instructors that chimed in - I definitely respect your position and agree that range time can be more valuable that class time. I'm not an ace at a pistol so I'm definitely open to taking a class that meets requirements and also makes me a better shot...

That said, I also understand the mindset of "I have multiple other permits and can carry in other states without issue then why do I want to do anything but the bare minimum to meet MD's requirements?"

And like I said, I think it would be hilarious (and also kind of an F-U to the MD process) to see some ridiculous/obnoxious pistols brought out for qualification. .50 Beowulf AR pistol or Henry Mare's Leg, anyone? Hell, throw a high power scope on them as a cherry on top.:rofl:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If I was an instructor I would allow my students to use whatever firearm gets them the highest score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    My class the instructor loaned 22's to the people that didn't have a gun. Even gave them the ammo for free.

treefroggy

Aug 5, 2007
    We were told anything that is actually a modern firearm was OK . BTW: there were 50 in my class ; 20 who didn't own a firearm and 8 who had never fired a handgun before . Everyone passed . If you can't hit that huge target , maybe you shouldn't own a handgun .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I didn't know there was a minimum caliber requirement. Not that I would carry anything under a 9mm but that's good to know
    Only for those people that don't read an entire thread before commenting.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    The state doesn't have a requirement on caliber. Depends on the class taken. I was not given a choice, could not bring my own gun. Had to shoot a S&W M&P .22lr supplied by the training company to qualify. Kind of peeved me to have to shoot a gun a was not familiar with.
    Was that "ShootSelf" training...? In a class of 90 other students??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom