• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    And I will second the warning on the Turk 8mm. I recently bought 700 rounds because it was so cheap but after inspecting the ammo, I noticed many had cracked case necks. I imagine this could be potentially catastrophic in the Hakim.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Having bought Oldcarjunkie's Hakim, I figured I should chime in... I've only been able to shoot it a couple times, but when I did, I used 50's Yugo as well as Romanian surplus ammo. Both shot without issues but the Romanian was particularly mild and therefore much more pleasant to shoot. Regardless, the powerful 8mm chambering combined with the direct blowback operating system make for quite the shooting experience.

Always Glad to hear someone enjoying the rifles i sold them. :party29:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I sold mine years ago due to that damn muzzle break. Unless you were out in the open, that thing just was too damn loud even with muffs. :sad20:

John

That's why some guys call them their, "A$$hole at the range gun". If some jerk sets up next to you, and is behaving in an offensive or unsafe manner, you break out the Hakim ... and see how long it takes for him to move far away. :innocent0

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Having bought Oldcarjunkie's Hakim, I figured I should chime in... I've only been able to shoot it a couple times, but when I did, I used 50's Yugo as well as Romanian surplus ammo. Both shot without issues but the Romanian was particularly mild and therefore much more pleasant to shoot. Regardless, the powerful 8mm chambering combined with the direct blowback operating system make for quite the shooting experience.

Did you have issues with the 50's Yugo splitting? I read online today it was notorious for it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congrats on the find! Didn't know you were on the search for one (or was it an acquisition of opportunity?).
    I don't own a Hakim (big surprise for most of you I'd bet!) but I've had excellent performance with Portuguese 8mm ammo in my FN49. Harder to find these days but I always grab a box if reasonably priced when I find it.
    Do have an AG42B and it a loud, brass throwing machine. But it's uber accurate, even with the less than awesome rear sight. Since it only gets to the range on the odd occasion I always have to spend time getting reacquainted with how the action operates so I don't look like an idiot on the line.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    That's why some guys call them their, "A$$hole at the range gun". If some jerk sets up next to you, and is behaving in an offensive or unsafe manner, you break out the Hakim ... and see how long it takes for him to move far away. :innocent0

The Ljungman i have is sorta loud, but the Vepr in 54R clears the line in less than 15 mins!!, I had one guy pack up by the time i shot the 5th round ( he was sitting my my Immediate left, the rest left cause they were on the right and the Vepr throws steel 54R cases 20 foot to the right hitting everything in its path. :lol2:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Didn't know you were on the search for one (or was it an acquisition of opportunity?).

It was an acquisition of opportunity, but one has been fairly high on my list for awhile. I looked over one at a show about this time last year, told the guy that I wanted it, but had to go to the other side of the building to the ATM, came back with the cash, and a guy who had been looking over my shoulder while I was looking it over was walking away with it. When I asked the seller, "WTF?", he sort of shrugged and said, "Lots of people say they'll be back, then never come back."

This one presented itself as a nice example, even though I suspected something wasn't quite right with it, and at a price that I'm comfortable with--especially since I didn't have to buy any parts for it ... yet.

I don't own a Hakim (big surprise for most of you I'd bet!)

Yes, it actually is a very big surprise. You mean I actually own something (other, perhaps, than Argentines) that Mawkie doesn't? Amazing ...!

Do have an AG42B and it a loud, brass throwing machine. But it's uber accurate, even with the less than awesome rear sight. Since it only gets to the range on the odd occasion I always have to spend time getting reacquainted with how the action operates so I don't look like an idiot on the line.

That sounds more believable. The AG42B is now on my short list for when I have long funds ... if that ever happens. One of the good news parts of all this experience is that I'm now very familiar with the Hakim's action. It's brilliant in its simplicity. Looking forward to making noise and circles with it!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    yup the PPU is good stuff, also keep in mind to NOT shoot turk ammo out of a semi auto 8mm rifle as it is loaded too hot for a semi, use it in bolt guns.

Holy cow, I didn't realize this was a problem. That turk ammo seemed to shoot fine out of my Buddy's Hakim with the gas vent dialed correctly.

Man, I wonder if we were a hair away from disaster every time we shot that thing?

Anyways, there's some steel cased 8mm for relatively cheap popping up around lately, some was being sold at SOG last month, and I bought some. Seems to cycle great, if a little bit dirty- of course no reloading with these, not without some serious effort anyways, but the way the Hakim masticates brass, you're lucky to reclaim ANY casings fired from these guns.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

it's not blowback, it's got a locked breech.

It's direct gas impingement just like an AR-15, only the bolt design is a tilting block, like an SKS.

Point is- the breech is locked during firing.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Anyways, there's some steel cased 8mm for relatively cheap popping up around lately, some was being sold at SOG last month, and I bought some. Seems to cycle great, if a little bit dirty- of course no reloading with these, not without some serious effort anyways, but the way the Hakim masticates brass, you're lucky to reclaim ANY casings fired from these guns.

I'm planning to buy a small amount of the Greek surplus, plus a couple of boxes of the PPU. From what I've been able to learn, much of the damage done to brass supposedly is caused by it hitting the handle on the rt side of the bolt cover upon ejection. Mine still has the original rubber cover on that (but not in the greatest shape) that I'm hoping will pad the brass from damage. I'll just have to see if the scanty interwebs wisdom is correct, or not.

Since the PPU is not all that much more expensive than the steel-cased stuff, I'm really hoping to have some reloadable brass ... if it survives to be reloaded. If not, Sportsman's Guide has some steel cased stuff that's only at the low end of outrageous. This isn't something that I plan to shoot a whole lot, but I want to be able to shoot it now and then. I may eventually pack away a crate of some of the surplus stuff in spam cans for the future.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Holy cow, I didn't realize this was a problem. That turk ammo seemed to shoot fine out of my Buddy's Hakim with the gas vent dialed correctly.

Man, I wonder if we were a hair away from disaster every time we shot that thing?

Seems it causes parts to work extra hard in semi auto's and can break gas system parts, With the Hakims Adjustable gas system you Might be able to get away with it, but i still wouldnt if it was mine. I recently bought a crate of Turk 8mm(1400rnds) but i have plenty of mausers to shoot it from, ill reserve the Yugo and Romanian for my FN49.

http://smgguns.com/?page_id=965

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/39616/Turk-8mm-ammo-in-FN49

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324298

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Just out of curiosity, what are these going for? Lets say a "very good" condition rifle? And can anyone tell me what parts of the rifles are serialized? Thanks

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Just out of curiosity, what are these going for? Lets say a "very good" condition rifle? And can anyone tell me what parts of the rifles are serialized? Thanks

Very good Ive seen them for 550+ to 700

I sold mine to Chenny for 400. he didnt think it was a good deal at the time and hoped i would lower it, but he came around;). I knew to replace it with a nicer one i would have to add at least 150.00 more.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Turk 8mm burns too slow for a semi auto action, totally wrong pressure curve. Even with adjusting the gas port (helps but won't eliminate the potential risk). Searches for issues with FN49s abound on Gun Boards where the author of the best reference book on this model hangs out (Wayne "Goose52" Johnson). Suffice to say that both FN49s and Hakims are too valuable these days to feed them the wrong ammo.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Turk 8mm burns too slow for a semi auto action, totally wrong pressure curve. Even with adjusting the gas port (helps but won't eliminate the potential risk). Searches for issues with FN49s abound on Gun Boards where the author of the best reference book on this model hangs out (Wayne "Goose52" Johnson). Suffice to say that both FN49s and Hakims are too valuable these days to feed them the wrong ammo.

Plus Turkey never fielded a semi-auto 8mm. so it would make sense that their ammo was made to be used in their bolt-actions only.

I do miss my Hakim sometimes. Maybe I will get another one in the future, at least a nicer example than the one I had.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Samco has them for $700 in "very good condition" with 'minor modifications.' Perhaps someone here could easily tell what these mods are just by looking at the image. A high price?

https://www.samcoglobal.com/specials/specials.pdf

(EDIT)
    The "other minor modifications" mentioned in that flyer (I just read it) refer to changes that the Egyptians made to the original Ljungman design. They aren't talking about mods that they (Samco) have made. The other comments of mine still apply, but I'll add that the price seems pretty high to me. Only near-perfect ones seem to be actually selling on places like GB for that amount of money, but these should be good rifles. The one that I recently got was imported by Samco, but it would appear that it came in some years ago.
    (END EDIT)

==============================

I heard through the grapevine that Samco recently bought a bunch of Hakim parts. Included in this purchase were (supposedly) rear sights, among other things. The timing is right (given that purchase) for them to have been, or be in the process of, rebuilding some stuff that they may have had in storage, but missing bits and pieces that this parts order might complete.

Extrapolating from this, I'd assume that the parts are correct for the rifles, so the rifles should be complete, but I'd also not assume that all of them would be matching-numbers rifles. This is just speculation based upon pretty good info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom