• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Peacemaker National Training Center near Inwood, WV (near I-81). Has long ranges out to 1400 yards in addition to 100-300, 600, and 1000 yard ranges.
    But you can't just go out there and shoot at say 1000 yards. They have to see you shoot at the shorter ranges successfully before you get a pass to the next longest range.

I kind of figured that, it only make sense to validate your skill level for the Range Personnel...

I wouldn't want to do that anyway, I need to get back into that rhythm plus get used to my LR308...

Thanks

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I live in Frederick and I too am considering joining NARGC. I plan on going to visit soon with a few guys who are also interested in joining.

Have you considered Thurmont conservation? I, too, live in Frederick and TCSC has a lot to offer although NAGC has both a skeet field and a liquor license which TCSC doesn't.

TCSC has a very active club and quite a few different shooting disciplines. I only wish I had more time to shoot - my membership at TCSC will lapse as my free time is simply too scarce.

Good luck either way

---
    Shamr0ck

CityShooter

Jan 20, 2015
    Walkersville
    Have you considered Thurmont conservation? I, too, live in Frederick and TCSC has a lot to offer although NAGC has both a skeet field and a liquor license which TCSC doesn't.

TCSC has a very active club and quite a few different shooting disciplines. I only wish I had more time to shoot - my membership at TCSC will lapse as my free time is simply too scarce.

Good luck either way

---
    Shamr0ck

Do they have spots open for new members? I/We would definitely be interested , I live in Walkersville and have two buddies in Thurmont that would most likely join as well.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I'm not sure but the president is responsive to emails.

I joined there 3 years back as they have a 300 yard range , pistol bays, bench rest matches and a very active trap and cowboy program.

I just don't have time to get there and shoot.

Check out

http://tcandsc.org/tcscContact.htm

All the contact info you need.

I'll be back once my life settles down some. I loved going mid week and being the only person on the property.

---
    Shamr0ck

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    if anyone is interested in joining thie izaak walton our membership meetings are the first wednesday of wach month.
    tvblog.png

While I'm an NA member at this time. I have free time this Wednesday. What time might that meeting be?

Mini14Tom

Nobody in particular.
    Aug 4, 2013
    East Frederick Co.
    Hendershot's Indoor Range

Well, I finally made to Hendershot's new indoor range Wednesday afternoon. Got tired of waiting for the two promised ranges in Frederick to open. I had made some changes to one of my guns that I wanted to check out and to get back the feel of shooting after the winter.

I am a relatively new shooter and had only shot at outdoor ranges prior to this, so the indoor scene was a little different for me. First time users of Hendershot's are required to view a ten minute video on safety and range rules. Also a photo ID Range Card must be purchased for $10 which is good for a year. Range time is sold in half-hour segments for $12 each. I purchased a one hour block and a dozen targets and went to get my guns and gear from my car. That was when I had my first surprise when I was told that "the firearms and magazines must be unloaded when I bring them in". The firearms part is obvious, but I did not anticipate the magazines empty requirement. I had pre-loaded seven mags with about 100 rounds in two calibers thinking it would save time loading them inside the range when the clock was ticking on the range time I paid for. I guess this must be S.O.P. at other indoor ranges too.

I set up on one of the seven lanes and began my session. I was given instruction by the Range Officer in use of the touch-screen digital target deploy/retrieve controller which we set to 35 feet, the maximum distance. Everything went smoothly and one hour was about right to go through my twelve targets and two handguns fired. Next time I'll probably want an extra half hour to accomodate loading the magazines onsite without rushing.

The Hendershot range is primarily a pistol range but, they do allow rifles and shotguns to be used with limits on loads (no magnums, only 00 buck or slugs) There did not appear to be any benchfire provisions, however.

Pictures of Hendershot's new indoor range are posted on their Facebook Page. The facility is in their very fine Sporting Goods Store located just south (East) of I-70 Exit 32 on US 40 where the "Dual Highway" reverts to two lanes.

Mini14Tom

Nobody in particular.
    Aug 4, 2013
    East Frederick Co.
    Mini14Tom, Thanks for the update, seems that might be a nice place bring the wife, did they have pistol rentals?

Gunny, your wife should like the place. Hendershot's is an upscale sporting gun store with an ambiance somewhat akin to a hunting lodge.

I re-checked their website to confirm that they say they have rentals available to try out. You probably should call them to confirm that.

Their phone number is 240-347-4883

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Mini14Tom, thanks for the update on Henershot's. I've been thinking of going there and breaking in a few firearms that I have acquired over the past 6 months or so. I guess I will have to make sure that my Lula speed loader for my AR15 is in my rifle carrying bag so that I don't waste too much time loading ammo!

Cal68

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Gunny, your wife should like the place. Hendershot's is an upscale sporting gun store with an ambiance somewhat akin to a hunting lodge.

I re-checked their website to confirm that they say they have rentals available to try out. You probably should call them to confirm that.

Their phone number is 240-347-4883

Thanks,:thumbsup: will note, I'll be going home in 19 days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom