• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    Usually my handgunning is a bit more serious than this but this time I just had fun.
    usually I do mostly updrills from the holster with 38 SPC +P on my 3 inch GP100.

But a buddy rolled me some real HOT 357 Magnum loads so I wanted to explore.

So I broke out my pristine GP100 in 4 inch SS, vs my normal 3 inch GP100 SS.

The reason is that the 3 inch has a slimmed frame and topstrap and with such a hot load I wanted the full strenght frame + strap.
    The 4 inch is also noticeably heavier than the 3 inch GP100 for those reasons.

The rounds are 160 gr and according to the excel sheet with this powder load should do about 1580-1590 fps out of the reference revolver.

Like I said HOT... IMO this would be +P+ if there was such a thing for 357 Magnum.

Now my revolver is 4 inch barrel (not 6 inch like the typical reference) so maybe a little less speed but even so...

I got a big fireball w/ every shot and the range master said he could see the condensation like of the bullet in the air as it shot to the target.
    Said was first time he every saw something like that.
    And the dividers between lanes seemed to shake/vibrate a bit with every shot :D

It was fun.

The recoil was not bad at all w/ the 40 oz GP100.

I am sure it would have been unpleasant with a lighter revolver like say a S&W Model 65.
    I had one of those before and even regular 357 Mag where unpleasant to shoot.

Went home and cleaned the revolver and its nice and pristine now again and next to my bed

Attachments

• 100_1586.jpg
      100_1586.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 638
    • 100_1589.jpg
      100_1589.jpg
      56.4 KB · Views: 657
    • 100_1581.jpg
      100_1581.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 594

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    My Dad loaded some like that once. A friend coined the phrase:

"Russ's insane ammo, when it absolutely positively has to be dead."

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A three inch GP100 would be just as strong, but the longer bbl with full underlug will decrease muzzle flip.

But I'm calling on the vel of the ammo. The OP didn't specify the third hand source of data, but I'm guessing Hogdon's , using the infamous 8.7inch test bbl . I fully trust their pressure reading, and the vels do give a measure of comparison, but the actual numbers don't relate to any actual revolvers.

I won't ramble with a historic treatse on the various historical industry standards for handloads and factory ammo for .357 mag over the decades, but a 160-ish from a 4in bbl anywhere close to 1400fps would definately put you in the big boy club.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Most likely erode the forcing cone as well. My top end loads are under maximum just to keep the barrel life up there. One cannot shoot a steady high volume diet of full bore loads in magnum handguns and not encounter forcing cone erosion. Unless it is a Freedom arms with a forcing cone insert.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Usually my handgunning is a bit more serious than this but this time I just had fun.
    usually I do mostly updrills from the holster with 38 SPC +P on my 3 inch GP100.

But a buddy rolled me some real HOT 357 Magnum loads so I wanted to explore.

So I broke out my pristine GP100 in 4 inch SS, vs my normal 3 inch GP100 SS.

The reason is that the 3 inch has a slimmed frame and topstrap and with such a hot load I wanted the full strenght frame + strap.
    The 4 inch is also noticeably heavier than the 3 inch GP100 for those reasons.

The rounds are 160 gr and according to the excel sheet with this powder load should do about 1580-1590 fps out of the reference revolver.

Like I said HOT... IMO this would be +P+ if there was such a thing for 357 Magnum.

Now my revolver is 4 inch barrel (not 6 inch like the typical reference) so maybe a little less speed but even so...

I got a big fireball w/ every shot and the range master said he could see the condensation like of the bullet in the air as it shot to the target.
    Said was first time he every saw something like that.
    And the dividers between lanes seemed to shake/vibrate a bit with every shot :D

It was fun.

The recoil was not bad at all w/ the 40 oz GP100.

I am sure it would have been unpleasant with a lighter revolver like say a S&W Model 65.
    I had one of those before and even regular 357 Mag where unpleasant to shoot.

Went home and cleaned the revolver and its nice and pristine now again and next to my bed

Brought your gun home from the range and then took a couple of pictures of it ON your range!
    :D

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    A three inch GP100 would be just as strong, but the longer bbl with full underlug will decrease muzzle flip.

But I'm calling on the vel of the ammo. The OP didn't specify the third hand source of data, but I'm guessing Hogdon's , using the infamous 8.7inch test bbl . I fully trust their pressure reading, and the vels do give a measure of comparison, but the actual numbers don't relate to any actual revolvers.

I won't ramble with a historic treatse on the various historical industry standards for handloads and factory ammo for .357 mag over the decades, but a 160-ish from a 4in bbl anywhere close to 1400fps would definately put you in the big boy club.

I didnt roll the Ammo, just quoted the guy who did it for me.:)
    I trust him he's been a really good guy in the past.

I usually expect the reference revolver to mean 6 inch barrel and since mine was a 4 inch it will obviously be less.
    There was a lot of unbrunred powder muzzle flashing so I am sure a lot was a lot of velocity left on the table.

Dont claim to be an expert in these matters just had some fun with the 6 shooter.
    I'll ask him about the specifics sometime if he isnt on this website already

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    Any chance of seeing pics of the fired cases?

Ask and you will receive :D

(ignore the date on the pics its incorrect, just put in new batteries)

Attachments

• 100_0696.jpg
      100_0696.jpg
      142.6 KB · Views: 392
    • 100_0697.jpg
      100_0697.jpg
      145.5 KB · Views: 386
    • 100_0698.jpg
      100_0698.jpg
      141.4 KB · Views: 460
    • 100_0699.jpg
      100_0699.jpg
      126.2 KB · Views: 387

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Thank you for the pics. Cases look okay. I have 3 on bench I picked up from a range...textbook examples of too hot. I learned the hard way about forcing cone and barrel breach face erosion years back.

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    Thank you for the pics. Cases look okay. I have 3 on bench I picked up from a range...textbook examples of too hot. I learned the hard way about forcing cone and barrel breach face erosion years back.

Are the forcing cone issues mainly a S&W thing?
    I thought GP100s were immune?

Not being facetious here just genuinely curious :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    No problem. It is a real occurrence with all magnum class revolvers. Stainless will erode less than blue steel guns. Some powders erode more than others. I've observed when working in the magnum class loadings but not at absolute maximum pressures goes a long way to minimizing erosion.

It is the powder granules and the high attendant heat/pressure which do the eroding. Staying below those top end temps/pressures will keep the barrels healthier.

I have one of the first blue GP 100's to hit the area. It is proof erosion does occur. I had to set back a Security Six barrel back twice then replace the barrel because I insisted on shooting hot loads with a hot burning powder. The shooting of magnum loads was always a huge part of my shooting so I ran some hefty loads in both 357 and 44 Magnum, my favorite. Getting into competitive semi auto shooting probably saved a few guns.

Low pressure loads can be shot forever. Virtually no erosion there.

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    Maybe I'll stay with my factory Fiocchi loads and save these hotties here as a SHTF stash for my trail revolver.

The Fiocchi factory rounds I like, they are hotter but not crazy, 142 gr at 1420 FPS thru reference revolver ( which I presume means 6 inch barrel)

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    PS: I heard the bigger bullets 158 gr and up minimize the forcing cone wear because the bullets is longer and there is less gap for the gases to flow during that splity second thru during firing.
    Can you comment on that for me? :)

Dec 31, 2012
    Maybe I'll stay with my factory Fiocchi loads and save these hotties here as a SHTF stash for my trail revolver.

The Fiocchi rounds I like they are hotter but not crazy, 142 gr at 1420 FPS thru reference revolver ( which I presume means 6 inch barrel)

I really like the truncated cone 142's from Fiocchi. :thumbsup:
    They're my standard diet for magnums and the cases reload just fine.
    Stick with those and you'll be in the safe zone in terms of erosion.

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    I really like the truncated cone 142's from Fiocchi. :thumbsup:
    They're my standard diet for magnums and the cases reload just fine.
    Stick with those and you'll be in the safe zone in terms of erosion.

Thats whats been my main diet for my GP100s
    Its definitely hotter (I can feel the difference) but not crazy hot.

But these super hot loads are so much fun! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom