• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I got the chance to start my weekend early with a good friend who invited me on a Tuna fishing trip. As something I've always wanted to do I took him up on the offer. We left kent island thrusday after work and headed for Hatteras NC. getting there around midnight. At 6.m. friday we where on our way out to the atlantic to chase Tuna. We started off by running into a school of albacore and caught 8 and threw one back. we then caught one blackfin tuna and a mahi mahi. We heard there were yellow fin north so we went up there and ended out the day catching 8. It was a little rougher than I though out there but fun none the less. here are a few pictures from my trip.

The boat we where on 55' carolina custom
    DSCN0695.jpg

leaving Hatteras in the morning
    DSCN0667.jpg

Twin 800h.p. cats got the boat moving nicely
    DSCN0678.jpg

some of the gear we were using
    DSCN0676.jpg

DSCN0674.jpg

here's a picture of one of the yellowfins I caught
    DSCN0692.jpg

and our catch for the day
    DSCN0685.jpg

after all this we drove back friday night getting home around 2 a.m. just in time for me to get my stuff together to go pheasant hunting with my brother and father and good friend of mine. we did well ended up with 23 pheasant and 6 quail. Needless to say I had a busy weekend, but it was well worth it.

DSCN0704.jpg

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Caroline County Shooting Preserve. I've hunted at a lot of the places on the eastern shore and they are the cheapest and nicest by far.

Hmmmm, OK, 29 birds did they just stock it? How does a preserve differ from a hunt elsewhere? I'm not sure I would be sold on them, 29 birds is fantastic.....too fantastic.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I got the chance to start my weekend early with a good friend who invited me on a Tuna fishing trip. As something I've always wanted to do I took him up on the offer. We left kent island thrusday after work and headed for Hatteras NC. getting there around midnight. At 6.m. friday we where on our way out to the atlantic to chase Tuna. We started off by running into a school of albacore and caught 8 and threw one back. we then caught one blackfin tuna and a mahi mahi. We heard there were yellow fin north so we went up there and ended out the day catching 8. It was a little rougher than I though out there but fun none the less. here are a few pictures from my trip.

The boat we where on 55' carolina custom
    DSCN0695.jpg

leaving Hatteras in the morning
    DSCN0667.jpg

Twin 800h.p. cats got the boat moving nicely
    DSCN0678.jpg

some of the gear we were using
    DSCN0676.jpg

DSCN0674.jpg

here's a picture of one of the yellowfins I caught
    DSCN0692.jpg

and our catch for the day
    DSCN0685.jpg

after all this we drove back friday night getting home around 2 a.m. just in time for me to get my stuff together to go pheasant hunting with my brother and father and good friend of mine. we did well ended up with 23 pheasant and 6 quail. Needless to say I had a busy weekend, but it was well worth it.

DSCN0704.jpg

Are those Hens in the pile? Is it legal to shoot hens on a preserve? :innocent0

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Hmmmm, OK, 29 birds did they just stock it? How does a preserve differ from a hunt elsewhere? I'm not sure I would be sold on them, 29 birds is fantastic.....too fantastic.

they are game farms. There aren't any wild pheasant's left in MD for the most part. Any of the places you find like native shore, pintal point, marshtown, shraders etc. are all "stocked" birds. If you want to hunt wild pheasant's then you really need to go out west.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    they are game farms. There aren't any wild pheasant's left in MD for the most part. Any of the places you find like native shore, pintal point, marshtown, shraders etc. are all "stocked" birds. If you want to hunt wild pheasant's then you really need to go out west.

That's a real shame, there were lots of birds out Hagerstown, Tawneytown ways in the 70's and early 80's. Guess they're all gone, on the plus side..... turkeys are everywhere now where they weren't.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wow you did the 'double,' fishing and hunting!! plus a ton of driving! good for you, looks like you had a lot of fun.

when i was a kid, so i guess late 70's, used to go up to friend's farm near chambersburg, pa to hunt pheasants and rabbits, was a lot of fun.

i've done a few trips out of oregon inlet and hatteras harbor. don't remember throwing up, but usually didn't feel all that great, especially if fishing was slow and you were just bouncing around way out there.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    That's a real shame, there were lots of birds out Hagerstown, Tawneytown ways in the 70's and early 80's. Guess they're all gone, on the plus side..... turkeys are everywhere now where they weren't.

Yup I agree. I remember seeing wild pheasant's behind my house back in the mid 90's, and haven't seen any since then. It's a shame.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Is that Hatteras Harbor you went out of?

yup, we went on the boat " low profile "

MikeTF said:
    I'd love to know how much it is to hunt there, so I gave them a call:

Caroline County Shooting Preserve
    8729 New Bridge Rd
    Denton, MD 21629
    (410) 479-3004

Would anyone like to share how much these kind of hunts run?

they run around $20 per pheasant and $8 per quail.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yup I agree. I remember seeing wild pheasant's behind my house back in the mid 90's, and haven't seen any since then. It's a shame.

One of the last pheasants I killed was a loner in back of a bowling alley in North Linthicum. I have no idea what he was doing there but he kinda just popped up during my urban quail hunt. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom