• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    be aware that the direction indicator on the scope adjustments are the direction you are MOVING THE GROUP ON THE PAPER, not the direction you are moving the crosshair.

So if you hit 3 inches left, you will click 12 clicks RIGHT assuming you are sighting at 100 yards and a standard 1/4 MOA adjustment/click value.

Also realize that in sighting in closer to the shooter your click values will be proportional to a 100 yard zero

So, that means that 1/4 MOA click value at 25 yards is how much?

25 yards is 1/4 of 100 yards, so each click will move your group 1/4 of 1/4 inch. I mention this not to confuse you but to bear in mind that a relatively small adjustment at close range can take more than a few clicks.

Let's say you are 2 inches low and 3 inches right at 25 yards.

You will correct 2x4x4 clicks, or 32 clicks UP, and 3x4x4 or 48 clicks LEFT

Then move the target out to final zeroing range and fine tune.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Nice thing about a break-open gun is how easy they are to sight-in. After you mount your scope (torquing all screws little by little and evenly in a star fashion), open the gun and look through the rear of the barrel. Line up the target (25 or 50 yds) with the middle of the barrel and then adjust your scope to the middle of the barrel. In my experience, if don't carefully, this can be extremely effective and your first shot shouldn't be far off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is extremely true.

In bolt guns you can usually completely remove the bolt and it will give you a nice view down the bore from the back of the gun, saves a lot of time.

Or a laser pointer and duct tape so it fits in your chamber works too

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In other words, to move your cross hairs one inch @ 50 yds. on a 1/4 inch scope, it will take 8 clicks at 50yds. 2 clicks @ 200 yds. And so on...

stokes8718

Jun 1, 2013
    KI
    I was resting the foregrip on ttowels and jackets. I did not hold it much if any with my hand. I was hoping the circles designating 100 150 175 and 200 would work like they are supposed to or else I would have bought a standard crosshair.

stokes8718

Jun 1, 2013
    KI
    spoton.html

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I was resting the foregrip on ttowels and jackets. I did not hold it much if any with my hand. I was hoping the circles designating 100 150 175 and 200 would work like they are supposed to or else I would have bought a standard crosshair.

I can't comment on that, I use a standard crosshair type reticle. I don't like the clutter.

It seems you are somewhat consistent so I wouldn't guess base or rings loosening up. So, I am basically out of ideas.

Where are you located at? Not sure where KI is?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

If you used the 'Spot On' calculator, I believe you zero the gun at 50 or 100 yds, enter the type round you used, then it should cough out the different distances for the other circles. I've used it on a couple of my own rifles but, it requires that you use ammo that they keep data on. Different ammo have different ballistics so the results of the calculator would necessarily be different. I would skip all that this year, zero it 2'' high at 100 yards, see where it hits at 50 yds. and call it a day. Plenty of time to monkey with it after deer season. Good luck!

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Nikon PROSTAFF 2-7

Things seldom work just as we hope they will work. That is one of the great things about using Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program, it lets you use whatever sabot your slug gun shoots the best and yes, some defintely shoot better then others. I am also a big fan of the 20 ga rifled slug for deer. Many folks think you have to use a 12 ga, I even tohught like that until I had the opportunity to air our a box of 20ga. sabots on a deer sized trget at different distances. Using Spot On, making solid impact shots was as easy as lining up the right BDC circle to the distance of the target.

I ran a Spot On page for you showing the data you provided. Drop me a note if you have any question's.

ScreenShot2014-11-21at101905AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom