• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Haven’t posted much the last few years given I’ve moved out of state and have been trying to shift more toward shooting my collection rather then expanding it. But winters are long in Vermont and the shooting range has been snow covered for 100+ days straight leaving me with nothing to do but expand the collection anyway (logical, right?). Lately I’ve gotten into the H&R 922 revolvers. I’m sure these were the type of utilitarian firearms found in every hardware store and five & dime across the country when they came out at $8.25. The fact they can still be found in very good condition and well priced (these two were both solidly between 150 and 200 even with tax, fees, and shipping) makes them that much more appealing to the cheapskate in me. Not much info or H&R reference stuff out there for a lot of what they produced, though the late Bill Goforth did put together a book: H&R Arms Co. 1871-1986. I’m sure I will get a copy once I get past paying close to what I paid for one of these examples for a copy of the book. Anyway, thought I’d share these two examples. The one with the saw handle is best I can tell a 1930 1st model, 1st variation. The other is a 1st model, 2nd variation probably made in 1931 based on the SN. Not only are the grips different on the second variation, but it has the “patent applied for” improved safety rim cylinder. It also still has some gold in the barrel markings still when examined closely. I’ve seen this referenced somewhere as the gold line model as the front sight and the filled barrel markings was supposed to be real gold or gold plate though that might just be a moniker. For me at least, these are nice enough to show off, but used enough to take out and shoot. Hoping some others have some they want to show off.

Attachments

• 100_1182.jpg
      100_1182.jpg
      103.5 KB · Views: 294
    • 100_1183.jpg
      100_1183.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 297
    • 100_1188.jpg
      100_1188.jpg
      97.1 KB · Views: 293
    • 100_1189.jpg
      100_1189.jpg
      92.5 KB · Views: 295
    Jul 1, 2012
    Don't have any revolvers, but H&R made a ton of flare guns of all sorts too. It's interesting to compare the shape of the grip handle on your revolvers to some of the flare guns. H&R seemed to have unique designs when it comes to the grips & frame. These'uns are pretty small, they made some monsters too...

Attachments

• DSC_6771 - Copy.JPG
      DSC_6771 - Copy.JPG
      56.3 KB · Views: 264
    • hr mk v.JPG
      hr mk v.JPG
      76.6 KB · Views: 266

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice, thanks for sharing!
    I'm constantly perplexed by H&R. They proved that they could build first rate arms like the M1 Garand, M14 and M12. I love my M1A built on H&R parts and my M12 which is every bit as good as a Winnie 52. Only now are M12s starting to bring the coin they should have all along. I still think they're selling below what they should. But they positioned themselves closer to the bottom of the market for so many of their handguns and sporting arms. Maybe it was too crowded near the upper end of the market?

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Don't have any revolvers, but H&R made a ton of flare guns of all sorts too. It's interesting to compare the shape of the grip handle on your revolvers to some of the flare guns. H&R seemed to have unique designs when it comes to the grips & frame. These'uns are pretty small, they made some monsters too...

That is interesting. I had no idea they made flare guns, much less followed similar designs. I looked at some more pics on the internet and it seems the frames/grips were very much the same in many cases. I saw some others with what I believed was called the H&R birds head frame as well on both flare guns and 22 pistols.

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Nice, thanks for sharing!
    I'm constantly perplexed by H&R. They proved that they could build first rate arms like the M1 Garand, M14 and M12. I love my M1A built on H&R parts and my M12 which is every bit as good as a Winnie 52. Only now are M12s starting to bring the coin they should have all along. I still think they're selling below what they should. But they positioned themselves closer to the bottom of the market for so many of their handguns and sporting arms. Maybe it was too crowded near the upper end of the market?

Got me. Maybe if I get Goforth's book it will provide some insight. My H&R Garand is on par or better then any of my other post war manufactured examples as well in my experience. Of course it cost me the same as the others from CMP :) The 922 was sort of a low end 22 even for H&R it seems at the time. At the same time they marketed a top break model (I've seen it as the 999, Target, and Sportsman) for a premium over the 922. You might be right though. They might have just been targeting the lower end and it worked (since they managed to keep selling them for quite a few years)

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I had one of the 929 side kicks with the slab side barrel. Didn't seem nearly as nice as those probably because of the plastic grips. It was a neat revolver but that sob would spit lead at me because the timing wasn't great. Wasn't fun to shoot wearing short sleeves.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have one just like yours. I used to shoot it all the time when I was in high school and college.

Attachments

• pistol-22lr-har-922.jpg
      pistol-22lr-har-922.jpg
      98 KB · Views: 183

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    H&R produced product for their intended market niche .

H&R ( and Iver Johnson ) aimed to be solid quality utility guns . Ie meets intended purposes , better quality than the really cheap guns , but value priced below Colt or S&W .

In modern context , H&R and IJ were the Mossberg Shotguns of the revolver world .

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I have one in the safe somewhere I had forgotten about until now.
    Decent little utility pistol and I think I have the leather holster with mine or at least the one that came with it at purchase that works..

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Here's an H&R "22 Special" circa 1935. The company built quality guns to a price, but they weren't "cheap" guns. This one has beautiful bluing, locks up tight, and is a numbers matching gun. It's also pretty accurate with its rudimentary sights. A really fun shooter.

Attachments

• 20211013_190342.jpg
      20211013_190342.jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 112
    • 20211013_185942.jpg
      20211013_185942.jpg
      89.8 KB · Views: 118
    • 20211013_190947.jpg
      20211013_190947.jpg
      87.7 KB · Views: 112

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I have 922 marked Trapper on top of the barrel.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Here's an H&R "22 Special" circa 1935. The company built quality guns to a price, but they weren't "cheap" guns. This one has beautiful bluing, locks up tight, and is a numbers matching gun. It's also pretty accurate with its rudimentary sights. A really fun shooter.

Nice example of one with a "Bird's Head" frame. The Top Break ones are sorta like the 922 model as well it seems. Sold for a lot of years with lots of variations and different names... Special, Sportsman, 999, ect. A nice older one like you have is on my wish list. Thx for sharing.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Despite having the birds head grip frame, they seem to always be found with big blocky grips. I would like to find a set of birds head grips if they exist.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Mine is not a 922. Trapper Model on the frame. Skinny barrel 7 shot.
    06736254586c7c4ecc05a3eeb417a51b.jpg
    69dab594e3bac45e93f50c53e6ccd455.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom