• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Is it a grenade launcher or just the detent for one? If it is the actual launcher, what a bunch of morons wrote that one since no one actually has the grenade launcher!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Is it a grenade launcher or just the detent for one? If it is the actual launcher, what a bunch of morons wrote that one since no one actually has the grenade launcher!

Actually, I know several folks that own a 40mm NFA compliant grenade launcher. And the 37mm Grenade launchers are not NFA items and are basically cash and carry (order and own).

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Actually, I know several folks that own a 40mm NFA compliant grenade launcher. And the 37mm Grenade launchers are not NFA items and are basically cash and carry (order and own).

When I say "no one" I mean the 99.9% who do not own one. But same question: is it the launcher itself or the ability to install one (the detent)?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    40mm launchers are legal, but go through the NFA process.

37mm launchers are legal and cash/carry as long as you only use flares and a handful of other non-weapon projectiles.
    You've forgotten the 22mm spigot style launcher for rifle grenades. Under the '94 ban, an A2 flashhider was counted as both a flash hider and a grenade launcher because it had an OD of 22mm. Manufacturers of muzzle brakes had to make them either <20mm or >24mm OD so they could not fire a rifle grenade. So, spin off the flash hider and live with a muzzle nut or brake, this ban does not include "... or threads ..." as the '94 ban did.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It doesn't have a folding stock, does it? Looks like a collapsible stock to me. Telescoping stocks are still OK.

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    You've forgotten the 22mm spigot style launcher for rifle grenades. Under the '94 ban, an A2 flashhider was counted as both a flash hider and a grenade launcher because it had an OD of 22mm.

So, will the SKS spigot be considered TWO features under the future MD test, thereby automatically branding them assault weapons?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    So, will the SKS spigot be considered TWO features under the future MD test, thereby automatically branding them assault weapons?

Not all SKS's have it. So, No... Also only SKS's with detachable mags would be considered banned assault weapons (aka SKS-D and SKS-M) and perhaps the M59/66 modified to take detachable mags. A stock 59/66 with the flash hider/grenade launcher is legal because it does not have a detachable magazine.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, the HK MR556 would be legal under the new law. It is NOT an AR-15. The AR uses a DI gas system and the MR556 uses a short stroke piston action.
    Good luck with this interpretation. Have you actually found a dealer who will sell piston ARs as cash and carry?

I agree that a Yugo SKS 59/66 is not going to get banned... which is why I sold mine for an SKS-M. :)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Good luck with this interpretation. Have you actually found a dealer who will sell piston ARs as cash and carry?

I agree that a Yugo SKS 59/66 is not going to get banned... which is why I sold mine for an SKS-M. :)

Actually, yes, there have been a few (including a few of the IP's).

Mark

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    When I say "no one" I mean the 99.9% who do not own one. But same question: is it the launcher itself or the ability to install one (the detent)?

No, the detent doesn't count. And believe it or not, when the talking heads were discussing this, they were thinking of devices that fire from the end of the firearm, not attached under the firearm.

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    Not all SKS's have it. So, No... Also only SKS's with detachable mags would be considered banned assault weapons (aka SKS-D and SKS-M) and perhaps the M59/66 modified to take detachable mags. A stock 59/66 with the flash hider/grenade launcher is legal because it does not have a detachable magazine.

Ahhh...I think I see where you're coming from.

I'm going to drag this out a little because I think it's an interesting point that hasn't been fully described here. Please correct me if I have made improper conclusions.

Since the SKS is one of the banned-by-name firearms on the list, and it is only banned if it has a detachable magazine, then a stock Yugo would NOT be subject to the copycat features test, so the question of whether or not the spigot would be considered both a flash suppressor and a grenade launcher is moot.

Is that basically it? Interesting caveat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom