• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrimsonJer

Apr 4, 2013
    Ferndale
    So, according to you guys, this rifle http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/mr762_general.asp will still be cash and carry after October 1st, 2013. Now since I really want to buy this rifle, this is great news to me, but I'm trying to understand the "why" of it still being cash and carry. I just want help understanding how that works so I know what I can and cannot get in the future. Is there a specific feature of it that exempts it or what? Thanks in advance guys.

-Jeremy

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It's not on the regulated firearms list and it is not a copy of anything on the regulated firearms list. It is cash and carry today, it will be cash and carry tomorrow, and it will be cash and carry after October 1 (but with a 10 round magazine). It only has one "evil feature" in addition to a removable magazine, so it will not be classified as a copycat.

CrimsonJer

Apr 4, 2013
    Ferndale
    It's not on the regulated firearms list and it is not a copy of anything on the regulated firearms list. It is cash and carry today, it will be cash and carry tomorrow, and it will be cash and carry after October 1 (but with a 10 round magazine). It only has one "evil feature" in addition to a removable magazine, so it will not be classified as a copycat.

Which part is the evil feature? It has a collapsible stock, pistol grip, and what I think is a flash suppressor? Or is that not really a flash suppressor?

CrimsonJer

Apr 4, 2013
    Ferndale
    Well, I don't know how the grenade launcher comes into play as those aren't allowed for civilians, but I can always swap out the flash hider for a muzzle brake. This does nothing to firearms really.

I think they are legal in some of the southern states, but it has to go through an extensive NFA check or something. I'm not at all sure.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Well, I don't know how the grenade launcher comes into play as those aren't allowed for civilians, but I can always swap out the flash hider for a muzzle brake. This does nothing to firearms really.

40mm launchers are legal, but go through the NFA process.

37mm launchers are legal and cash/carry as long as you only use flares and a handful of other non-weapon projectiles.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I don't see how a grenade launcher comes into play anyway Look at the Yugo SKS This has one but without a live grenade and proper firing blanks it useless. You can buy real Grenades thru NFA for the cost of the Grenade plus 200 for the tax stamp. Yeah GangBangers are lining up for these

CrimsonJer

Apr 4, 2013
    Ferndale
    I don't see how a grenade launcher comes into play anyway Look at the Yugo SKS This has one but without a live grenade and proper firing blanks it useless. You can buy real Grenades thru NFA for the cost of the Grenade plus 200 for the tax stamp. Yeah GangBangers are lining up for these

Haha, the way they ban this stuff it's like you'd think Baltimore was comparable to Fallujah or something.

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD

I was wondering if the Yugo SKS grenade SPIGOT would be considered a "launcher" under the law. IMO, there is a fundamental difference between a spigot and a launcher, making them to separate devices. Saying both devices are launchers would be like saying that ammo cans are high-cap magazines because they are designed to hold ammunition.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    So if you put a medium or heavy barrel on anything, can you call it a copycat of a HBAR AR-15? (which is legal)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If that's legal then wouldn't any piston AR have to be legal as well?

Yes, the HK MR556 would be legal under the new law. It is NOT an AR-15. The AR uses a DI gas system and the MR556 uses a short stroke piston action.

Mark

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Following the OP link, there is no grenade launcher. But you are saying it will be illegal as a copycat after Oct 1?

-t

I think you mis-understood. In order to be a copy cat, a firearm must have a detachable magazine and TWO of the following features to be banned:

Flash Suppressor
    Grenade Launcher/Flare Launcher
    Folding Stock

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yes, the HK MR556 would be legal under the new law. It is NOT an AR-15. The AR uses a DI gas system and the MR556 uses a short stroke piston action.

Mark

Then by that logic, any AR lower with a piston upper would be GTG. Like a friends Bushmaster lower and POF piston upper. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom