• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Walter's had one in the case for a while back 15 years ago when i was frequenting there. I think it had half a dozen rounds with it. I don't recall the price but i do recall feeling that the price wasn't bad. Shuda, coulda, wouldas...

Jul 1, 2012
    I've always been fascinated by this gun. I'd pay to shoot a few just to say I did it.

It's a pretty interesting system.
    The early pistols didn't even have barrels, just guide rails.
    The barrels are thin-wall stainless steel tubes.
    Open "chamber", fixed firing pin, backwards-operating hammer and made of pot metal.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      71 KB · Views: 393
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 424

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    It's a pretty interesting system.
    The early pistols didn't even have barrels, just guide rails.
    The barrels are thin-wall stainless steel tubes.
    Open "chamber", fixed firing pin, backwards-operating hammer and made of pot metal.

where is the little red roll of caps?

Jul 1, 2012
    One of the problems - the 13 mm ammo hasn't been made since 1968 and no one has been able to duplicate (or improve) it since.
    The NRA Gun Gurus show fired one relatively recently and they had a few duds.
    Worse case is a "hangfire" where there isn't enough thrust to depress the hammer (cock it) which traps the round in the gun while it burns.
    If anyone does get a chance to shoot one, wear a good pair of fireproof gloves :)

The Deathwind Project was an attempt a few years ago to redesign the round but it didn't work out.

Interesting factoid, these were tested extensively here in MD at the HP White Labs back in the 60's.

If you're interested in more info, David Rachwal has pics that cover the basic models:
    http://www.handgunsoftheworld.com/gyrojet.html

If you really want more, grab a copy of Mel Carpenter's book, which is the only real reference for these (both the ammunition and the firearms).
    It's got a ton of knowledge including the history of earlier rocket rounds (German etc) and is easy to read too.
    http://gyrojet.net/

Attachments

• 3a.JPG
      3a.JPG
      21 KB · Views: 257

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I saw that "Gun Gurus" and noticed it said these pistols were tested in the Vietnam Conflict.

What kind of velocity do these things achieve when they hit their max, which I believe is around 25 yards? Doesn't seem like they would do all that much damage.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    One of the participants here has the market on those guns nearly cornered.

Indeed! Ask him nicely and you'll mine an amazing amount of information on a cool subject. Me, I've always loved "You Only Live Twice" and the use of Gyro Jets in it. All state of the art stuff back then. Have never seen them in any other movie or show.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Me, I've always loved "You Only Live Twice" and the use of Gyro Jets in it. All state of the art stuff back then. Have never seen them in any other movie or show.

Coincidently enough, the other day I watched part of a terrible 80's movie staring Jay Leno as a cliche wise-cracking cop. He was trying to find some Hitman or Gangster that was killing people with a "Gyrojet Rocket Gun".

Jul 1, 2012
    I saw that "Gun Gurus" and noticed it said these pistols were tested in the Vietnam Conflict.

What kind of velocity do these things achieve when they hit their max, which I believe is around 25 yards? Doesn't seem like they would do all that much damage.
    MBA literature claimed a "standard" 13mm 185 gr round hit 1250 fps for 700 ftlb of energy (around a .357 magnum).
    A 235 gr .45 ACP round has about 370 ftlb of energy.

There are a few documented cases of soldiers carrying them as personal weapons.
    Officially MBA sent 2 Model 137 pistols (pre-production prototypes) over to the ARPA Research and Development Field Unit in Saigon for informal testing in 1965, but those 2 didn't see combat.
    Mel's book relates a story of a Marine colonel testing the pistol on enemy cadavers (1967).
    The colonel's report stated that a distance of 20 feet the wadcutter round penetrated, at 35 feet it passed completely through.
    There's also some company literature on testing against pig cadavers with similar results.

The round was very effective. It just wasn't always accurate (or reliable).
    In the humid jungle environment it also left a nice vapor trail back to the muzzle.
    Other operational issues are difficulty in reloading (especially under stress), and no way to clear a misfire without unloading all remaining rounds.
    MBA made at least one experimental carbine fed by magazine and two mag-fed test mules which would have helped to some extent.

Indeed! Ask him nicely and you'll mine an amazing amount of information on a cool subject. Me, I've always loved "You Only Live Twice" and the use of Gyro Jets in it. All state of the art stuff back then. Have never seen them in any other movie or show.

Steve McQueen used an MBA "Prowler Fouler" (bean bag gun) to knock down the big dude at the beginning of "The Hunter".
    It was done live, no tricks, and when the director asked for a second cut (just joking) the actor less-than-politely declined :)

.... and then there's the cinematic masterpiece, "Collision Course" ....

Coincidently enough, the other day I watched part of a terrible 80's movie staring Jay Leno as a cliche wise-cracking cop. He was trying to find some Hitman or Gangster that was killing people with a "Gyrojet Rocket Gun".

Yeah, the pistol in "Collision Course" (Leno) was a Mark II, Model C (12 mm).
    The Gun Control Act of 1968 forced MBA to go back to the 12 mm (.49 cal) round and for a variety of reasons the production only lasted a short while longer.
    12 mm ammo is actually really hard to find now, much more so than the 13 mm.

Here's one of my favorite pics, a promo shot from "You Only Live Twice".
    Ironically Karin Dorr's character never touched a Gyrojet but they did a whole series of shots with her and that pistol. I'm not complaining.

Attachments

• KD Gyrojet 3s.jpg
      KD Gyrojet 3s.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads