Gunsmithing in the area (barrel cutting)...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    Hey guys, new to the site as of today.

I searched and didn't find anything that really fit my question. I am taking possession of a Saiga 12 (finally!) :party29: and am looking to have a few mods done to it. Among them are having the barrel cut to 16.5'' and permanently affixing a brake. I have called a few places in the area to no avail thus far. Does anyone know of a place, or an individual, that can do this work in the area? I appreciate the assistance.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Welcome to the forum!

R&R Enterprises in Pasadena.

But he dosen't really deal with the public all that much, I don't have any contact info for him.

He's a Class II and does good work. I've seen his barrel threading and suppressors, all quality.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I am personally in Montgomery County. Basically any place within about an hour or so is more than acceptable. I am far more concerned with having it done at a reputable place that does solid work.

DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    Scott's Gunsmithing Inc.
    231 Thelma Ave.
    Glen Burnie, MD 21061
    410-761-9815
    Tue thru Sat.

EDIT: Like all good gunsmiths he has a backlog so it may take a while.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Have the work done by someone familiar with the Saiga-12. There is a wealth of info on the forum at saiga 12. Shortening the barel requires work to the gas system or it will not cycle, and shortening the barrel below 18" is illegal with out first getting the propper liscense from Unkle BatF**k!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Have the work done by someone familiar with the Saiga-12. There is a wealth of info on the forum at saiga 12. Shortening the barel requires work to the gas system or it will not cycle, and shortening the barrel below 18" is illegal with out first getting the propper liscense from Unkle BatF**k!

GOB- my S-12 is presently at Continental with a 12" barrel (awaiting BATFE's blessing). Tromix did the conversion and left the gas system full length (looks better as well). Tony said as long as I shoot full power loads, all will be good. I told him I wasn't planning on going dove hunting with it - so full power loads will be all it sees. Ask the boys at Continental how it runs-they've shot it way more than me at this point (correct Jeep?....;) )

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    GOB- my S-12 is presently at Continental with a 12" barrel (awaiting BATFE's blessing). Tromix did the conversion and left the gas system full length (looks better as well). Tony said as long as I shoot full power loads, all will be good. I told him I wasn't planning on going dove hunting with it - so full power loads will be all it sees. Ask the boys at Continental how it runs-they've shot it way more than me at this point (correct Jeep?....;) )

I may have ran a few rounds through it (with h2u's permission and encouragment I should add! I don't just shoot customers guns, but h2u really want's his broken in by time the form 4 comes back :D)

I shot 10 rds through it when it got there & I used the Federal 00 Buck, it cycled w/o any problems. Sweet shooter! That muzzle break is something else!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Sorry buddy- I assumed most would know the shooting was done with my permission. I ran about 20 rounds through it and Andy at Continental did some as well. Only when I did the first couple of shots and was shooting a little tentatively (kind of worried about how big the fireball from the brake was going to be) - did I have a stovepipe. Otherwise it ran flawlessly.
    IlikeNFA- at 16.5" I wouldn't worry about the gas system. If you decide to go below a 14" barrel and want to cycle dove/target loads reliably, I'd look into shortening it. Good Luck!!

I may have ran a few rounds through it (with h2u's permission and encouragment I should add! I don't just shoot customers guns, but h2u really want's his broken in by time the form 4 comes back :D)

I shot 10 rds through it when it got there & I used the Federal 00 Buck, it cycled w/o any problems. Sweet shooter! That muzzle break is something else!

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Contact Gun Connection, they had told me to call them about shortening a Mauser for my friend. I'm not sure if my Friend called Gun Connection about it yet.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    As soon as I pick up the gun, I am going to take it to Gun Connection to have the work completed.

h2u - Thanks for the advice...im getting quite anxious already!

G O B - 2 things...first, and correct me if I am wrong, I can cut the barrel to 16.5'' and permanently affix (weld) a brake (bringing the length to 18.2'') legally without having to go NFA, correct? It is my understanding that this is ok, although I am by no means an expert. I wasn't sure if you were meaning I Secondly, chopping the barrel just that short amount I don't think will mess with the gas system as long as I am not shooting light loads. I only plan on shooting full power loads as it is anyway. Again, please correct me if that is an incorrect assumption.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    As soon as I pick up the gun, I am going to take it to Gun Connection to have the work completed.

h2u - Thanks for the advice...im getting quite anxious already!

G O B - 2 things...first, and correct me if I am wrong, I can cut the barrel to 16.5'' and permanently affix (weld) a brake (bringing the length to 18.2'') legally without having to go NFA, correct? It is my understanding that this is ok, although I am by no means an expert. I wasn't sure if you were meaning I Secondly, chopping the barrel just that short amount I don't think will mess with the gas system as long as I am not shooting light loads. I only plan on shooting full power loads as it is anyway. Again, please correct me if that is an incorrect assumption.

Grey area, some argue that for the short time the barrel is cut below 18" and before the extension is permanently affixed you are not legal. I recommend that this not be done in the presence of the BATFE. And the Saiga should work fine with manly ammo. It is the wussy "police" or reduced recoil rounds that are the problem. The more you shoot it the less they are a problem, You may want to get one of MD Arms MD20's. They are worth the wait!

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Ps if you are looking for the look and not the (marginal) brake action. bore out the brake and slide it over the 18" barrel , this will ensure better gas system action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom