• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rails on handguns, Love 'em or hate 'em?

• They're Grrreeeaaattt!

Votes: 49 62.8%
    • Ugh!

Votes: 29 37.2%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I can see the need for them on a home defense weapon. I have a P226 that is used for that purpose. Having a flashlight attached may not be a bad thing. As far as a carry weapon, I don't see the need. Fortunately, we have many different manufacturers and models to choose from. Well...I do. Delaware doesn't have a list. :)

python

Apr 15, 2010
    In a self defense situation, it's important to have a light mounted on the rail to let your attacker know exactly where you are so they have something to aim at. Make sure you have fresh batteries installed.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    In a self defense situation, it's important to have a light mounted on the rail to let your attacker know exactly where you are so they have something to aim at. Make sure you have fresh batteries installed.

Fiddy bucks says you haven't taken any low light training and haven't seen the new crop of LED lights. We ain't talking candles here.

Or if that's too pithy I hope your family member doesn't mind you shooting at noises and shapes when they go take a piss at 3 AM.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The biggest thing I hate on handguns is an empty rail. (Asides from display guns) Buy a Streamlight TLR-1(you can often find them for less than $100) mount it and roll on with life.
    Some handguns to my eye look better sans rail (1911s,BHPs, and CZ-75s for example)
    There's too many benefits to a WML to just call them doodads.

Yep, pretty much this.

I generally like rails, especially on home defense guns with a good light - like the Streamlight's.

But for CCW, if you need a really compact pistol, forget the rail.

Some guns just look better with a rail; and oddly, some look ridiculous with them. I think I'm just getting old. :)

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I like them, but not on all guns. If the occasion calls for a rail then a pistol so equipped gets the nod. I do like the balance of a railed 1911.
    While I don't have light for it, this is what I was thinking the extra weight up front can add balance and recoil reduction.

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

bbaick

Nov 6, 2013
    In general, I personally don't like rails. The lines on a non-rail gun are much sleeker and uninterrupted. Many of the classic guns out there were originally designed without rails. Now, for a weapon I'm taking into combat, I'll take the rails. I want every advantage I can get.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I've never liked stuff hooked to my pistol (well that sounds wrong to say:lol2:). However I think there is a time and place for everything. I don't like the idea of having a big old light in front of me in a home defense situation. No matter the brightness, it still gives something to shoot at and there are other options that make more sense to me.
    I, however, have come to find a pistol light would be quite handy while patrolling around late a night as an armed security guy walking into dark buildings, etc. Freeing up that other hand would be great, course you shouldn't be using your firearms like a flashlight, so I wouldn't abandon my trusty surefire led flashlight.

Does see me wierd to have night sights and a light.........kinda like a penguin with big wings.

Depends on the situation and guess what, it's up to you! TD

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    As it turns out, it's dark half the time. Criminals also seem to prefer to work in the dark. This means there's a pretty solid chance that if you need to use a gun for defense, it'll be in the dark. For this reason everyone should at the very least carry a handheld light. With how many options there are for weapon mounted lights, it's worth it to pickup one of those too.

The handheld light gives you the ability to check out the space around you casually, while keeping your concealed firearm concealed. The weapon-light guarantees that if your gun is in your hands, you have a light. Many lights are 300+ lumens now with 2 hours + of runtime. This allows you to keep your muzzle in a safe direction and still illuminate an area with the splash from a wall/floor/ceiling.

Holsters are also pretty plentiful. If you've got any relatively common gun/light combination, you should be able to find a holster for it. With the modern IWB holsters, it's pretty easy to conceal a handgun with a WML on it. The light also keeps the muzzle down a bit.
    tlr1sandtlr3onmampp45andmampp9c_zps609027ec.jpg

...plus, without a rail where the f am I supposed to mount a bayonet?
    bayocover_zpsf160d8e7.jpg

..PS- proper use of the light doesn't mean leaving it on as a target for someone to shoot at
    learn you some...

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    As it turns out, it's dark half the time. Criminals also seem to prefer to work in the dark. This means there's a pretty solid chance that if you need to use a gun for defense, it'll be in the dark. For this reason everyone should at the very least carry a handheld light. With how many options there are for weapon mounted lights, it's worth it to pickup one of those too.

The handheld light gives you the ability to check out the space around you casually, while keeping your concealed firearm concealed. The weapon-light guarantees that if your gun is in your hands, you have a light. Many lights are 300+ lumens now with 2 hours + of runtime. This allows you to keep your muzzle in a safe direction and still illuminate an area with the splash from a wall/floor/ceiling.

Holsters are also pretty plentiful. If you've got any relatively common gun/light combination, you should be able to find a holster for it. With the modern IWB holsters, it's pretty easy to conceal a handgun with a WML on it. The light also keeps the muzzle down a bit.
    tlr1sandtlr3onmampp45andmampp9c_zps609027ec.jpg

...plus, without a rail where the f am I supposed to mount a bayonet?
    bayocover_zpsf160d8e7.jpg

..PS- proper use of the light doesn't mean leaving it on as a target for someone to shoot at
    learn you some...

Smokey I wish you hadn't posted this. Especially with the first video at 8:57 you can see how the light completely wipes out the camera and prevents you from determining the origin of the light. Not to mention the benefits of being able to use a pistol one handed with kids, doors, possibly one handed juggling practice. Or the recoil reduction, faster split times, and ability to brace the pistol into a barricade for more accurate shooting.

I admit it I was wrong, lets go back to candles, torches (only if your LE or Mil) and spears, (or bow and arrow if you're LE or Mil). We'll completely forget how the GWOT and modern shooting competitions has revamped the defense strategies and capabilities of the military, law enforcement and the armed citizenry of this great nation. We'll also forget about Gen 3 NV and IR illuminators/lasers if you're THAT worried about a bad guy shooting at a light.*

*For the idiots thats called hyperbole. Look here. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hyperbole

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Depends on the Pistol IMO, It seems to newer Poly types are Blocky and it serves a purpose, 1911s- some are nice W/O thought some are good with...THough if it is for HD I would want it...

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    Rails on my Glocks serve a valid purpose and they are generally unnoticeable if left unused. A light on the G19 is as far as I'll go. Back when I first got into the AR world, I bought extra rails and all kinds of spotlights, laser beams, outriggers, downriggers and slings for the thing. A couple years ago I pulled it out of the safe one day and just looked at it and said WTF? Just started stripping all the crap off and putting it all in the drawer of misfit holsters. I like the AR more bare bones - still have accessories if needed but haven't felt the need. That's just me...

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Fiddy bucks says you haven't taken any low light training and haven't seen the new crop of LED lights. We ain't talking candles here.

Or if that's too pithy I hope your family member doesn't mind you shooting at noises and shapes when they go take a piss at 3 AM.

There are better techniques using a flashlight that don't put the light just above center mass. Once the light goes on, and before target aquiistion, you are a target.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am amazed at the amount of people here who don't have lights in their residence they cannot turn on, at night. Well, one does have to be prepared for home looters during a power outage. So there's that.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    There are better techniques using a flashlight that don't put the light just above center mass. Once the light goes on, and before target aquiistion, you are a target.

You mean the FBI technique that was developed for use with lanterns? And is damn near worthless with modern flashlights? Go to a range and actually practice it don't just watch YouTube videos. Practice and figure out how to do a reload and how long you can hold it. Or the neck index which blocks half your ability to view the situation? Most of the bettrr schools are rolling to a 2 handed grip fascimile, the Surefire syringe technique, the Graham method, hell even the time proven Harries technique is a two handed grip.
    Myself I'll take all the advantages and the .5 seconds while the target can't see and I'm making my decision to shoot I will use that time to worry about better things in life, like what is on TV, and won't ever worry about it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Streamlight TLR1-s for the win. Mounted on the rail of a sidearm, it gives you the ability to have light on the weapon, for target ID. It is a KISS concept. It is easier to manipulate the firearm, if your light is attached to it, than you fumbling with a flashlight in one hand, while you are using one hand on the pistol.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I sure hope you're just kidding with MOPAR. He is VERY trustworthy, hard working and a very dedicated individual, which by the way is hard to find these days.
    I offered him to go from a part time position to a full time position the second I heard he was looking.
    After the week I just had, I know who my friends are, and I consider him one of them.
    I wish him nothing but the best in his new job. He still works here and is always welcome here.

Thank you my friend. See you at the brand new Dundalk Gun Show August 28-29th.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    annnnnnnd.....back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom