• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    That's just a stupid, knee jerk reaction. The majority of LEOs are on our side.

Besides, there is a major difference between duty and off-duty time.

Should you be penalized at AGC if I don't approve of your current employer?

Teacher Unions are supporting the AWB legislation so do you want to ban all teachers from using Marriotsville?

Just because the "majority of LEOs are on our side" in a theoretical way, doesn't mean they're willing to line up to be fired for refusing to enforce the law. I don't think they get to pick and choose which laws they enforce.

That is the operative difference and the reason why LEOs would have to be banned from ranges (or sequested and allowed only during certain times) in order to protect non-LEOs.

It's not a personal attack against LEOs, but I just don't see them as being ready to sacrifice their livelihood to avoid infringing on my rights. I also can't blame them. It's just the reality of the bad situation the legislators are creating.

The difference between LEOs and the teachers, that you are ignoring, is that a teacher can't lock you up if they spot a violation of the law. Your red herring is irrelevant.

mallow

Pro-2A
    Dec 11, 2011
    Harford County
    Why is this bad? MD State Police already does random checks at gun stores....they are just making sure things are in order.

I've seen my fair share of questionable practices at gun ranges in the past...I'm surprised this wasn't already policy to be honest.

I fail to see the issue

Everyone is all :omg:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Is there really a value to these - "heard from a friend who is a cop" type threads right now?

Yeah, in recent months I've heard numerous things about the firearms industry and the various .gub agencies that have a part in it, most of the stuff (I classify as rumor or ******** that comes from any individual of any agency) doesn't leave my brain, be it vocal or in text, until I have some substantiated proof.

If there is any truth to the thread subject, I would imagine it would be to search for guns that are on the "reported stolen" list, then the current person possessing the firearm at the range could be arrested. This is only my educated guess as to the number of stolen firearms that are out there and the stupid asshats that will go to a public range and shoot them. BUT, as you may have noticed, I started this paragraph with, "If there is any truth to the thread subject...", and my response is, "Probably not".

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Lock gun case separate from ammo

Where does it say the case has to be "locked?" My understanding is that weapons just have to be "cased."

Regardless, to suggest that someone just needs to follow that and they'll be immune from harassment is incorrect, IMO.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They can search my car......with a warrant.

Going to and from a legal activity is not grounds for a search.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    OK now i am confused, please correct me if i am wrong, but IF this does pass, i know we can keep the guns we have now, but can we or can't we take them to the range? in addition. i am becoming a member of Delta Peach Bottom F&G, so that being the case under the bill as written, If i take my AR to Delta, when i drive back into Maryland, i am now a criminal for doing so?

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    They can search my car......with a warrant.

Going to and from a legal activity is not grounds for a search.

Ranges are private property, no? They could pull us over leaving/going to range. And I'd refuse a search like always. They can call the German Shepherds in all they want. I'll give the dog some Beggin Strips.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Fellow 2A Supporters:

Breathing control.......One single minded focus. Front Sight alignment. Our fellow forum members aren't the problem. Why are we focusing on a rumor of what the police may or may not do today or tomorrow?

The Bills In Annapolis.

The Bills In Annapolis.

The Bills In Annapolis.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    For Private ranges they will need a search warrant to come on the property.

If you are on private property ask to see the search warrant if the brown shirts challenge you and report it to the range management.

Having said that where is the proof for to opening thread's statement?

Just because it is on the internet does not make it true.

Here is the problem the MSP will wait outside of the property and when you leave with your firearms they will stop you on the road and confiscate all of your arms. They will have probable cause because that can sit on the main road and using binoculars see what you have and then stop you while leaving and take your weapons. Trust me this IS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN! all because of the vague language in the bill about transportation.:mad54:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What I am taking from this thread is.....
    1) Just stay alert at ranges. Look around and see if you can verify that this is happening. If it is, it's at least harassment of legal gun owners.

2) Know the law and make sure you're not breaking it in public. Don't put a forward grip on your pistol because it looks cool and take it to the range. You shouldn't be doing this now anyway because you don't know who the person is at the shooting lane next to you. I've regularly shot with and near LEO's at ranges.

3) If I see this, I will just leave because I don't feel like being harassed by police.

4) Things like this DO happen. I was pulled over in the on-target parking lot a few months back. A cop car was sitting there running plates on all the cars coming and going(I saw him, I am not making that up). He got to my plate as I came in, and my registration was recently revoked for emissions stuff. It was clearly my fault and I was not in accordance with the law, I fixed it and now have everything square. The point still remains that a LEO was running every single plate of cars coming and going at on-target. It DOES happen.

5) It's not going to be the milkman or the ups driver arresting you and taking your freedom/guns if unconstitutional law is passed. It WILL be the law enforcement officers. The LEO needs to be more vocal in resisting unconstitutional laws if they don't want to be in a confrontation against the public.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    OK now i am confused, please correct me if i am wrong, but IF this does pass, i know we can keep the guns we have now, but can we or can't we take them to the range? in addition. i am becoming a member of Delta Peach Bottom F&G, so that being the case under the bill as written, If i take my AR to Delta, when i drive back into Maryland, i am now a criminal for doing so?

This is the problem with this bill. No one has explicitly defined transportation. Does tranportation mean through the state. Does it me in the state, and it only states that handguns are permitted for range transportation, not AW. This needs to be clarified or it will be used to de-facto confiscate our firearm, and prohibit us from every owning anouther firearm again. SB281 has alot of vague definition that when left for interpetation could land you in legal trouble.:sad20:

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    OHHH NOOO!!!!

As a LEO who is currently at home as a private citizen reading this.....:lol2:

Really? Maybe I'll spot check myself at my private range or ban myself from my own range so maybe I can stay a member on this forum. OR MAYBE I will call b.s.

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    Seems to me banning MSP from gun range is kind of what the MOM people are attempting to do. Penalize everyone for the actions of a few. The MSP officers were men/women before they became police officers. True some go overboard in their law enforcment efforts, but most only uphold the law. As far as I know there isn't a Maryland law that requires or authorizes MSP to harass legal gun owners. A lot of MSP own personal firearms and support the second amendment.

Just my two cents worth. No I am not LEO, nor have I ever been but I was brought up with a sister and brother and getting my butt whipped when one of the others broke the rules sucked.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    For Private ranges they will need a search warrant to come on the property.

If you are on private property ask to see the search warrant if the brown shirts challenge you and report it to the range management.

Having said that where is the proof for to opening thread's statement?

Just because it is on the internet does not make it true.

Wrong. I'm a French model.:innocent0

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Heard from a friend who was a cop? Uh.... Is he a trooper? And not your everyday boot on the road, were they a troop with bars or oak clusters around their neck? Most likely NO. Wow the MSP does not even has enough personnel conduct normal business as effectively as they are capable of doing! And you think troopers are going to have time to sit on gun ranges and conduct spot checks. Look at the back up on background checks.

joeyb34

Sep 16, 2008
    Baltimore County
    Just because the "majority of LEOs are on our side" in a theoretical way, doesn't mean they're willing to line up to be fired for refusing to enforce the law. I don't think they get to pick and choose which laws they enforce.

It's not a personal attack against LEOs, but I just don't see them as being ready to sacrifice their livelihood to avoid infringing on my rights. I also can't blame them. It's just the reality of the bad situation the legislators are creating.

I know several police/troopers that are pro gun and do not want any new gun laws. None of them want to deal with enforcing this BS. At the same time not one is willing to quit or get fired to avoid doing their job.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom