• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malaki7

Dec 17, 2012
    I only read the first page but that was enough. Please folks learn the law. A police officer doesn't need probable cause to pull you over and an officer can ask you and the passengers to exit the vehicle. That case law actually came from Maryland. I understand that it's fun to throw around legal terms but let's try to get them right next time. Sorry in advance if this issue was already addressed.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Police Officers are people too. If we took 100 members from mdshooters and all got together I'm sure we'd find there's a couple of D-bags floating around here as well.

I haven't had many experiences with 'the law' but all but one have been at least decent if not downright nice.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I think one of the problems with MTAP officers is the job. They are not a "full service" dept. And these new kids come on and have never had real interaction with complainants on calls to homes, businesses, etc... and haven't garnered "police people skills". Most of their people interaction is from the shoulder up, through a car window.

Feb 28, 2013
    I was driving on 895 at around 1300 in the afternnon when i saw a MDTA charger with a car pulled over on the shoulder. I proceded to move over a lane to give the officer space (this was before the law). To my surprise i see the officer pull out from his stop and fly up on me. I pull over and he approaches and advises me that my window tint is illegal. How he was able to see my window tint while conducting a traffic stop and my windows being rolled down is beyond me. I inform him that i have a medical waiver from my doctor allowing me to have the tint on my vehicle and ask if i can retrieve it from my glove box to show him. He informs me that he isn't interested in seeing it and writes me a repair order and a 70 dollar citation for tint. So because this guy decided he would do whatever he pleases i had to make a special trip to the ASED trooper at the DMV who had to sign off on the repair order. (was in shock because this was the same guy who signed my original waiver). I had to pay the 70 dollar fine because i can't afford to take a day off work to go to court.

So, the officer was busy with one stop, and left that stop in the middle of it to pursue you?

Any judge would frown on that one. Too bad the fine wasn't worth the time off work to fight it.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    In my experience, Toll cops give other cops a bad name. I don't think I've ever met one I liked or thought was courteous. I have met some good county cops and even state police.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I have had my fair share of run ins with LEOs in the state for one reason or another, I have bad experiences with MSP, HowCPD, AACoPD, PGCPD but most of those with those PD have been pleasant, I have NEVER had a pleasant exchange with MTAP. The only LEA I have always had good experiences with are the various Sheriff Dept in the state.

lol...why are you interacting with the police so much?:cool:

malaki7

Dec 17, 2012
    In the end it comes down to the individual who broke the law. It's not the officers job to hold your hand and tell you everything will be ok. If your one who is sensitive and fragile then stopping breaking the law.

MudPuppy

Jul 20, 2012
    TTAG followed up on this with a link to another site (a conservative site FYI) which purports to tell the rest of the story. Apparently the License plate readers positioned at the tunnels around Baltimore not only scan and store all license plates of cars that pass down I95, they run criminal background checks and checks to see if the registered owner has a CHL...

*If* this is accurate it's some serious big brother shit.

Read here: http://theconservativetreehouse.com...nt-maryland-coordination-and-analysis-center/

Pullquote from TTAG

Maryland has an intelligence hub known as the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center. According to TCH, “the intelligence analysis hub has access to, and contains, Florida’s CCW list (among other identification systems) and mines the state’s database systems for vehicle plate numbers of the holders. These license plate numbers are then stored in a cross referencing database within the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.” But that’s just the beginning. Click over to read the rather chilling “rest of the story.”

It's worth reading mostly because it's a well written article and it does not come across like some False Flag BS.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Great, so in addition to improper but Owebama sanctioned NSA data collection we have a MOM sponsored State level pre-crime unit! The State will never release this info through a PIA request, where is Snowden when you need him!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    MTAP have a reputation for being ass hats. Several years a go a friend of mine who repairs air guns for a side business was pulled over for speeding. He had several air guns in his trunk, all tagged with owner's names and work orders. Police confiscated all of them. Took him over 6 months to get them back and they looked like they had been thru hell. Judge mad MTAP write him a letter of apology which he carries with him. Guns were all F'd up so customers also git screwed. These schmucks are like Nazis on their little stretch of road they patrol. Another totally worthless LEO organization in the state for what, a 5-7 mile jurisdiction?

Parttime

Sep 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    The "Bridge Cops" are well known in my area for their reckless driving (to catch a speeder) and targeting certain age groups for vehicle searches.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    TTAG followed up on this with a link to another site (a conservative site FYI) which purports to tell the rest of the story. Apparently the License plate readers positioned at the tunnels around Baltimore not only scan and store all license plates of cars that pass down I95, they run criminal background checks and checks to see if the registered owner has a CHL...*If* this is accurate it's some serious big brother shit.

Read here: http://theconservativetreehouse.com...nt-maryland-coordination-and-analysis-center/

Pullquote from TTAG

It's worth reading mostly because it's a well written article and it does not come across like some False Flag BS.

That is completely false. The LPR alerts to NCIC flags like warrants, stolen cars/license plates, possible terrorist ties, confirmed suspects/vehicles relating to open or active crimes.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    In the end it comes down to the individual who broke the law. It's not the officers job to hold your hand and tell you everything will be ok. If your one who is sensitive and fragile then stopping breaking the law.

I didn't break any laws but was still treated with disrespect read my previous post!

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    In my experience, this is routinely the case. I don't think I have ever seen a newspaper article I had personal knowledge of get reported anywhere near accurately. Sometimes there is an agenda, but often it's just laziness or incompetence.

Ditto

However, I wouldn't be surprised if these stops were related to citation revenue or bolstering the number of stops to help justify a budget increase.

As the size of government grows exponentially out if control, we can expect government to begin activities such as advertising, securing patents and copywriting public documents all with the goal of feeding the pig.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    lol...why are you interacting with the police so much?:cool:

Some of it was for "illegal" activity, speeding, tint, repair orders, some of it was work related nothing out of the ordinary. For example one day, I was out running errands and someone backed into my car and broke the license plate bracket off my car. I came home using the key bridge and got pulled over.

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
    Me: Speeding, I was doing 65 in 55.
    Office: No, you exhaust is a little loud.
    Me: Ok.
    Officer: License and registration.
    Me: sure no problem
    Officer: Ok sit back and relax you are going to be here a while.
    Me: Sure thing.
    20 minutes later
    Officer: Ok here is your citation for not have a front tag. What is it with you kids thinking you can drive around without a front tag?!
    Me: Officer I have front tag it is sitting on my floorboard, someone backed into my car and broke it off the bumper.
    Officer: How am I supposed to believe, did you file a police report for a hit and run? If you would have done that you would not be getting a citation for not having a front tag.
    Me: Thanks officer.
    Officer: YOu would be best served to pay the ticket I do not need to go to court for this shit.

At this point I am pretty steamed, I have parts of my license plate bracket stuck to my bumper and the rest in my car. I didn't get warning or RO for my exhaust.

Most of my run-ins have not been this bad but the tone has always been the same.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    This is just a guess but I think the MD Transportation Authority Police have a chip on their shoulder because they are not interacting in a "community" sense. Patrolling bridges and tunnels means they are not seen as helping anybody, just ticketing.

So I think they hear a lot of guff about being "revenue/speed trap collection agents" for the Peoples Republic of MD.

At least Town/County'State LEO are seen as showing up to "help" with missing kids, fires, bad guys, etc.

That being said I don't think that MDTA duty instills that "peace officer" approach--what doctors call bedside manner--that helps interactions with the public stay low key.

Someone here suggested that MDTA police might have spotted a CC permit in this Florida guy's wallet. I can confirm that this happens--happened to a buddy when the MDTA cop spotted the top edge of an out of state CC permit and made him pull up his shirt and do a 360.

Same with being unforgiving. Another MDTA cop pulled over a buddy coming home from work at 2am and held him for 40 minutes to write up a license plate LIGHT BULB OUT violation and work order. The work order meant another 30 minute trip to the county police HQ to find an officer to confirm and sign his violation off-- so he could make another trip-- to the Post Office to mail it back.

Would have been nice to pull him over and tell him, hey, your license plate light is out, so take care of that, but get home safe because it's 2am….

Is it possible that the MDTA has any close association with DHS since we live in a "constitution free" zone that the information is in fact available?

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have read just about every post in this thread and must thank those who have shared their experiences with MTAP/MTA.

To sum up how to behave around MTAP I believe goes as follows: be a saint on the road, have a perfect car, don't give them a reason to pull you over, and pray you will never have to interact with them in any way shape or form.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Once again people will hardly ever admit if they had a positive experience with the MDTAP.

Have you ever thought that it might be because there are so few, if any positive experiences?

I sure haven't.

While I have had decent experiences with other departments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom