• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    Does anyone know what the Gun Manufacturers in non Second Amendment friendly states like Maryland, are you listening Beretta, are doing? Or, plan to do?:banghead:

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Some are moving and some are not (Remington in NY). That being the case, we support the ones that do move and do not support the ones that refuse to move.

RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    My understanding is that Beretta is staying in MD, but looking outside of MD for future expansion...if I am wrong, someone can correct me...but I think I saw that somewhere on this forum a while back.

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    Interesting question, I have guns made in NY, CT, MA, IL, and MD ...... these states certainly represent the "non-friendly" criteria.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Some are moving and some are not (Remington in NY). That being the case, we support the ones that do move and do not support the ones that refuse to move.

Although the companies that aren't moving are a dissapointment, not sure how you would expect Remington to move after being in the same state for almost 200 years.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Although the companies that aren't moving are a dissapointment, not sure how you would expect Remington to move after being in the same state for almost 200 years.

I would expect them to want to be taxed and regulated less, and give the finger to a government that basically wishes them to not exist. Given that they've been there as long as they have, really I would have expected them to do a better job of repelling the anti gun political movement than they have--which they've failed miserably at. While surely we don't live in a perfect world, I'd similarly expect Oscar Meyer and Tyson Chicken to NOT donate millions of dollars to PETA and vegan groups and such expectation shouldn't seem that farfetched.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    This has been discussed in multiple thread since the laws in Maryland were being considered. The bottom line is that big companies with big factories just can't up and leave. They have fiduciary responsibilities and workers to consider. They may have future plans but for obvious reasons aren't necessarily going to tell everyone about them.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    My understanding is that Beretta is staying in MD, but looking outside of MD for future expansion...if I am wrong, someone can correct me...but I think I saw that somewhere on this forum a while back.

Yes, they have contracts with the Fed that preclude moving, but they have said they aren't looking to expand in MD.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    This has been discussed in multiple thread since the laws in Maryland were being considered. The bottom line is that big companies with big factories just can't up and leave. They have fiduciary responsibilities and workers to consider. They may have future plans but for obvious reasons aren't necessarily going to tell everyone about them.

We have a bingo. It's especially true for publicly-traded companies with obligations to stockholders.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The factories predated the anti-gun attitudes of their states. The Conn and Mohawk valleys have been in center of american gun manufacturing , since there was american gun manufacturing. For a very long time there has been an interlocking network of large mfgs , small mfgs , suppliers , subcontractors , and an experienced workforce. Kind of the same reasoning that car mfgs still have operations in Detroit area.

Don't have the stats in front of me , but Rem , Ruger, S&W , and whatever current corperate name of USRAC are among the largest. The board rooms in the ancestral locations , but have major production facilities in ; NC & ME , AZ, ME , and SC respectively.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    EXPECTATIONS

I would expect them to want to be taxed and regulated less, and give the finger to a government that basically wishes them to not exist. Given that they've been there as long as they have, really I would have expected them to do a better job of repelling the anti gun political movement than they have--which they've failed miserably at. While surely we don't live in a perfect world, I'd similarly expect Oscar Meyer and Tyson Chicken to NOT donate millions of dollars to PETA and vegan groups and such expectation shouldn't seem that farfetched.

Well, while were checking expectations, it would be nice to expect out political leaders to do the right thing and represent the PEOPLE!! I would also expect the news media to be HONEST! :mad54:

AND, I would expect kids to be able to say the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE in school again. :D

BUT, expectations are tough, especially when there are realistic!! ;)

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Precisely why I want the America I grew up in to return. I was raised on the idea that you have high expectations and strive to meet them, and surround yourself with those who do the same. Doing less was letting them down, and dumbing down expectations was for sub par people, and you didn't want to be known as that. My football team trained with the expectation to win, not "Oh well, let's be realistic..."

This "new normal" crap has got to be killed with fire.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    It might be fiscally responsible to find a more gun free state with lower taxes. Then build a new plant and move production incrementally to the new location.

It very well could be. I suspect that Beretta has already conducted a study and found such an idea to not be a good business move at this time. Lower taxes and sticking it to the Governor are well and good, but can leave good employees with a longer commute. Unhappy employees = lower production. Loyalty goes both ways here.

Subject has been beaten to death already.

Setters4life

Nov 21, 2012

Wishing Remington to move would impact the Mohawk Valley area immensely. Almost a thousand people losing their jobs would be decimating to the Herkimer area. Remington has been there since 1816. It is the oldest company in the United States which still makes its original product and is the oldest continuously operating manufacturer in the U.S. They stand to celebrate their 200th anniversary in a few more years. They do a ton of good in the community, offer area colleges internships, and have increased production of arms with new military contracts. Running away and snubbing the community is not the answer.

Turning tail would only give Cuomo a victory. He's closed mental hospitals and now prisons in that region. Enough damage has been done to that area. It's struggling now.

Not supporting them would be selfish. I'd cut them some slack and look at the big picture.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Ruger expansion ... in NC

The factories predated the anti-gun attitudes of their states. The Conn and Mohawk valleys have been in center of american gun manufacturing , since there was american gun manufacturing. For a very long time there has been an interlocking network of large mfgs , small mfgs , suppliers , subcontractors , and an experienced workforce. Kind of the same reasoning that car mfgs still have operations in Detroit area.

Don't have the stats in front of me , but Rem , Ruger, S&W , and whatever current corperate name of USRAC are among the largest. The board rooms in the ancestral locations , but have major production facilities in ; NC & ME , AZ, ME , and SC respectively.

HumanEvents.com -
    Ruger Expands production, buys third factory – Up to 10 new gun lines

Sturm, Ruger & Co. is gearing up to manufacture up to ten new lines of firearms with the purchase of a manufacturing facility in North Carolina. The plant will be Ruger’s third manufacturing facility.

Ruger seems to have found the ideal location in Mayodan, NC, and is expecting to finalize the purchase this month. That would give the company up to four months to bring one of these new guns online in time for the SHOT Show 2014 in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom