• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What is a C&R.
    CUrios and Relics Federal Firearms License also known as the class 03 FFL or the collectors federal firearms license.
    It is of particularly good use in MD because when buying C&R handguns from outside the state you do not have to do the seven day wait or the other MDSP requirements.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14616

For mags, you can always go to VA and buy mags right?
    Yes.

What are the rules about a person gifting something to me?
    Drive to VA and exchange the mags and then drve back. You cannot transfer mags over 20 rounds within the state even if it is a gift.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    What is a C&R. For mags, you can always go to VA and buy mags right? What are the rules about a person gifting something to me?

Yes, but it can be a PITA to get mags when you want them, especially mail order deals. Keeping a mailbox in VA is one way around this silly rule. Gifts can be tricky, there has been a lot of discussion here regarding the proper transfer protocol. You can do the transfer of gifted guns at the MDSP, as Novus stated, mags over 20 rounds cannot be transferred inside of MD under any circumstances.

C&R license lets you buy collectible guns (on an ATF collectors list or at least 50 years old.) and allow them to be shipped right to your door without any crappy waiting period, worry about the MDSP approved handgun list, etc. There are both very cool rifles and pistols that are worth considering. The CZ52 (hard to find now), TTC and TT-33, and Markarov pistols that are pretty cool. As far as rifles go, there are a wide variety of bolt and semi-auto rifles that are pretty cool too. One additional benefit is that you can get decent discounts that pay for the license the first time you use it.

Mark

prpete

Nov 10, 2008
    Aberdeen
    If you get an heavy barrel, or "HB" ar15, you will usually not have to do Maryland paperwork when purchasing it here, ei. HB ar15's are not regulated.Yeah, you will find all of the effed up gun laws here.ALL other "asault" rifles are usually available here, but are regulated by MD law: that means they will be registered to your name, and a seperate group of paperwork filled out and processed through the MD state police, and the same process nust be performed if you are to transfer ownership (buy, or sell) said weapons, and this includes handguns, as regulated firearms.Welcome to MD.

prpete

Nov 10, 2008
    Aberdeen
    If you get an heavy barrel, or "HB" ar15, you will usually not have to do Maryland paperwork when purchasing it here, ei. HB ar15's are not regulated.Yeah, you will find all kinds of effed up gun laws here.ALL other "asault" rifles are usually available here, but are regulated by MD law: that means they will be registered to your name, (if you bring a regulated by MD law weapon into this state, you must immediately have them registered, that means call the local State police barracks and and they'll instruct you from there what you must do, and a seperate group of paperwork filled out and processed through the MD state police, and the same process nust be performed if you are to transfer ownership (buy, or sell) said weapons, and this includes handguns, as regulated firearms.Furthemore, you can buy most firearms that do not have a built in trigger lock.This is only because our last Gov.(Republican, good guy)persuaded all the MDstate police to re-interperate state law when he was in office, thank God.(Yes, the state is so powerful here, the executive branch actually uses(usurps) power that the constitution usually only grants the judicial branch, a violation of the separation of powers clause in the constitution.)The state police under the influence of the last Gov. Bob Erlich, re-interperated that the lock can and must be a type of lock that fits/locks into the chamber of the said weapon that must be purchased when buying the weapon.I'm only here for my job, too(DoD).Welcome to MD.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If you get an heavy barrel, or "HB" ar15, you will usually not have to do Maryland paperwork when purchasing it here, ei. HB ar15's are not regulated.Yeah, you will find all of the effed up gun laws here.ALL other "asault" rifles are usually available here, but are regulated by MD law: that means they will be registered to your name, and a seperate group of paperwork filled out and processed through the MD state police, and the same process nust be performed if you are to transfer ownership (buy, or sell) said weapons, and this includes handguns, as regulated firearms.Welcome to MD.
    Registration is voluntary in MD. When you transfer a regulated in MD there is recordation of transfer, not registration in your name.
    Think of it this way, if you moved out of state and sold it to someone who lives there and they moved to MD later, the rifle was last recorded by the MDSP as being transferred to you, but it is legally theirs and the state will not be able to prove otherwise.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Can i sell my H Bar's upper back to the gun store NIB the day I buy it ? maybe they could just o I don't know slap it on the next lower for sale :innocent0

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Can i sell my H Bar's upper back to the gun store NIB the day I buy it ? maybe they could just o I don't know slap it on the next lower for sale :innocent0

As I see it you are just selling them a part. There is no law about firearms parts federaly or state wise that I can think of.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Its starting to appear that a set of conditions could exist by way of multiple transactions one could buy a regulated ar15 and take it home the same day. first buy hbar. second remove hbar upper. third even swap or sell back then buy upper of your choice from dealer. as long as the lower is transfered to the customer in the hbar configuration the transaction is complete. the upper swap is moot correct ? the hbar upper in essence just becomes the vehicle making the transfer of the lower as a non reg possible

prpete

Nov 10, 2008
    Aberdeen
    Registration is voluntary in MD. When you transfer a regulated in MD there is recordation of transfer, not registration in your name.
    Think of it this way, if you moved out of state and sold it to someone who lives there and they moved to MD later, the rifle was last recorded by the MDSP as being transferred to you, but it is legally theirs and the state will not be able to prove otherwise.
    recordation will be in your name thus a defacto "registration"

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    recordation will be in your name thus a defacto "registration"

Defacto in name only and not in practice.

When you move you do not have to tell the MDSP (like in states with registration).
    When you deactivate/destroy (or lose in the bay) your regulated firearm you do not have to tell the MDSP (ditto).
    WHen you sell to an FFL in MD or in another state you do not have to tell the MDSP (like some states).
    When you sell to a resident of another state when you move there you do not have to tell the MDSP.
    WHen you convert the firearm to non-regulated and sell it you do not have to tell the MDSP.
    MD has REAL registration which is voluntary.

In four of the cases above you can no longer be the legal owner of the firearm and the MDSP will not know and it is possible another MD resident will own the firearm.
    If you move to another state and sell to another of that state's resident and they move to MD and get pulled over with it, they do not have your regulated firearm, it is theirs.
    If you sell your regulated to an outside the state FFL and they someday sell it to someone who moves to MD, then it is theirs and not yours regardless of what the recordation of sale in MD says.
    If you deactivate your regulated, it is no longer subject to the MD regulated transfer law and so therefore you can sell it to someone within the state and it will be legally theirs.
    If you turn it into a non-regulated (turn a pistol into a rifle) and sell it, then it ia no longer regulated and you can sell it face to face without the state knowing and it will legally be theirs (I am not a lawyer).

The recordation of sale may lead to an investigation to see if the transfer was legal, but it has no force of law behind it and it does not defacto make you the owner of record. If MD recordation of sale is "registration", then whenever your name is recorded in every state by an FFL in their bound book then that too is registration. MD took the "registration" of gun owners in FFL bound books one step further and made a central database is all. It is not registration any more than PA has registration for doing the exact same thing as the MDSP for handguns (recordation of sale and transfer).

It is important we do NOT call recordation of sale, "registration" because if Marylanders get used to teh idea of thinking our guns are already registered, then they will not even notice when someone poses a bill for TRUE mandatory registration in MD. We cannot allow this so we must make sure the average gun owner in MD knows the HUGE difference.

jwalker3181

Aspiring Zombie Hunter
    Sep 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    Actually it can be a removeable gun lock as long as it works internally basically. In other words it can be a gun made without a gun lock and you can insert a separate gun lock designed to work inthe chamber and barrel. SO this means that even though there is the law the gun has to be sold with this lock, any gun made before 1985 or made after 1984 and is on the handgun roster can be bought in MD regardless of if it has a built in gun lock.

YOu can own any handgun you bring with you in MD regardless of the year of manufacture or if it is on the handgun roster if you are over 21. The exceptions are fourteen pistols banned in MD (well, thirteen now because one made the roster somehow). These are the fourteen thirteen?. http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=168891&postcount=13
    Maryland has a ballistic fingerprinting "database" of all new guns sold in MD and new guns require a spent shell casing so they can sticki it into a storage shed for a half dozen years and do nothing with it. What the shell casing law does is to make it hard to get guns directly from manyfacurer for Marylanders and keeps some out of state dealers from dealing with us.

Which one made it's way off the banned list?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Didn't it turn out that the assault pistols list meant some trashy gang-banger Skorpion (aka, the TEC-22), and the legal one was the Vz.61 Skorpion? That's not quite the same as coming off the list.

Possibly. I was wondering what the deal was and that could very well be it, but isn't that spelled Scorpion and not Skorpion like how it is in MD law?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Possibly. I was wondering what the deal was and that could very well be it, but isn't that spelled Scorpion and not Skorpion like how it is in MD law?
    I've seen both guns spelled both ways when doing a bit of research. Given the context of the assault pistol ban, it's infinitely more likely that it was referring to the Intratec version, which is a .22LR clone of the TEC-9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom