• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agstevens05

Jan 24, 2013
    My fiance wants a gun but doesn't have the money. Is me buying the gun online allowed as long as she submits the background check? Just looking for more clearification on this because I wanted it to be a BD present.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Gifting is legal, a straw purchase is not. The difference is intent.

Gifting = buy a firearm for someone for their use.

Straw purchase = have someone purchase a gun for another (aka prohibited person) to circumvent the law.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Gifting is legal, a straw purchase is not. The difference is intent.

Gifting = buy a firearm for someone for their use.

Straw purchase = have someone purchase a gun for another (aka prohibited person) to circumvent the law.

Since she is filling out the form I don't think that pertains.

Straw Purchase is when someone fills out the form the sells/gives to a prohibited person

What he is doing is fine since she is doing the paperwork

agstevens05

Jan 24, 2013
    This would not be to circumvent the law however she would be doing the required paperwork. It is even illegal if she does the paperwork? Guess i will have to wait for them to finish my paperwork. it has been a month.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What he is doing is fine since she is doing the paperwork

Yepper

I thought, I would head off the straw purchase argument.

It is totally legal to purchase a firearm for another person, as long as they are not prohibited from owning a firearm and are not trying to circumvent the law.

Apr 15, 2013
    This one is easy.

Give her the money for her birthday now, and let her buy it.

Don't make it harder than it has to be- even if birthdays/holidays/other crap are involved. She won't love you any less if it isn't wrapped up with a bow.

agstevens05

Jan 24, 2013
    This one is easy.

Give her the money for her birthday now, and let her buy it.

Don't make it harder than it has to be- even if birthdays/holidays/other crap are involved. She won't love you any less if it isn't wrapped up with a bow.

Was hoping i could put it on credit card and pay it off over time. But I will consider doing that.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Take her to the FFL and let her do the paper work then you swipe your card (get something nice for yourself for being such a nice guy and all).

We got matching Glocks this way.

SOMDHoya

Jan 17, 2013
    I just checked into this for my wife. You can purchase the gun with your credit card, send it to your ffl in your name and then just have her fill out the paperwork at the FFL.

What are you getting her? Just got my wife an M&P Shield 9mm!

agstevens05

Jan 24, 2013
    I saw the title and thought you were looking to trade your fiance for a gun. Desperate times call for desperate measures
    Haha I just looked at it. It does sound that way lol

I just checked into this for my wife. You can purchase the gun with your credit card, send it to your ffl in your name and then just have her fill out the paperwork at the FFL.

What are you getting her? Just got my wife an M&P Shield 9mm!

I am getting her a glock 26. She wants to get it made pink lol

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Hope you are both legal to own. If you walk into a gun shop and you pay, she fills out the paperwork it could look like a straw purchase to the FFL. Just saying that you might want to be prepared.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    lol - I just did that 5 minutes ago on gunbroker because I am the one with the account. I showed my wife the gun, she said "looks good", and she will be completing the paperwork for it. Yeah, it isn't a problem.

What type of gun is it? If it is NOT a regulated firearm (i.e., handgun or assault weapon), you could actually complete the Form 4473 and then just give it to her as a gift as long as you have no reason to believe she is prohibited from owning a firearm. If it is a regulated firearm, then she would need to complete the Form 77r that gets submitted to the MSP.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hope you are both legal to own. If you walk into a gun shop and you pay, she fills out the paperwork it could look like a straw purchase to the FFL. Just saying that you might want to be prepared.

No, a straw purchase is when somebody buys the gun, completes the paperwork, and THEN gives the gun to somebody else. So, if she completes the paperwork and goes through the background check and it is actually going to be her gun, then they are all good. It all comes down to intent.

If he is prohibited from possessing a firearm, he could be in trouble just by getting into the same car as her on the drive home with the firearm or living in the same house as her with the firearm.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Wife and I are trying to both get GP100's before October 1. As long as it is her gun, and she does the paperwork, you should be good to go whether you or she actually pays. FFL may ask questions to make sure it is not a straw purchase, but if it ain't, it ain't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom