• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    i was just listening to the AM radio program "The American View" over here on Martian's thread in MD2A, http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=15646, and the woman being interviewed, Jane Weaver, head of the Maryland Chapter of the Second Amendment Sisters, made in interesting point towards the end. She suggested that Anti-gunners are not mentally sound, citing Sarah Brady's husband Jim's life-changing injuries in the famous assassination attempt on Pres. Ronald Reagan's life in 1981, and Diane Feinstein's witnessing the assassinations of San Fransisco Mayor and City Supervisor George Moscone and Harvey White in 1978. She suggested that these people are suffering from post tramatic stress disorder and are acting, NOT their logic and rationale, but on shaky emotions instead.

What thinks y'uns?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I think it is always a challenge to determine what a group of people's motives are. Some people in that group might be anti-gun for some reasons, and other people for other reasons.

I am convinced that very few politicians are truly anti-gun. I think they are saying and doing what they think their voting constituents want to hear. Since anti-gun politicians are particularly loud these days this means that a large percentage of voters who are anti-gun are voting (and donating). I think in reality they represent a small percentage of the population but a large percentage of the politically active voters and donors.

If Mr. Obama truly felt that guns in urban areas need to stop then why do his secret service guards have them in the city with a high crime rate? It's not about principals to politicians, it's about them creating laws which appease the greatest block of voters and donors.

If we were to mobilize and get involved everyone who is not anti-gun (not necessarily pro but doesn't hate them) in politics then you would see the politicians swing the other way. And I bet the media would soon follow.

Just my two cents, you did ask for my thoughts.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I think it is always a challenge to determine what a group of people's motives are. Some people in that group might be anti-gun for some reasons, and other people for other reasons.

I am convinced that very few politicians are truly anti-gun. I think they are saying and doing what they think their voting constituents want to hear. Since anti-gun politicians are particularly loud these days this means that a large percentage of voters who are anti-gun are voting (and donating). I think in reality they represent a small percentage of the population but a large percentage of the politically active voters and donors.

If Mr. Obama truly felt that guns in urban areas need to stop then why do his secret service guards have them in the city with a high crime rate? It's not about principals to politicians, it's about them creating laws which appease the greatest block of voters and donors.

If we were to mobilize and get involved everyone who is not anti-gun (not necessarily pro but doesn't hate them) in politics then you would see the politicians swing the other way. And I bet the media would soon follow.

Just my two cents, you did ask for my thoughts.

+1

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    It makes sense. During my last year or so of active duty here in Bethesda MD. There was a very sad accident involving one service member and her daughter. The girl was a toddler at best maybe 3-4 years old. She was parking her car and by mistake run over the little girl. Sadly, she died. She was not found guilty and she was very very torn up about it. I was reading the base newspaper and even if she was not found guilty I can only imagine that she blames herself still today.

But that spun off her working tirelessly to have a law passed that all cars need to have a warning sound when backing up. I told my wife the story and I was very surprised at her response. She tells me "that's a $1500 option that we got on our car, now due to her mistake everyone will need to pay?"

I was surprised cause I could see her mission and the good that might come of it but there's still one core duty. Watch your kids.

Same here with all of these political types. National office is a danger within itself. You can say one thing and you might have someone from another country or within this country wanting to kill you. You might even have people kill you just because you have a funny looking nose.

Like a police officer suing the PD because he got shot when responding to a crime... Or a firefighter suing because he got burned. There's risks with all jobs and if anyone know of a job that I cannot get hurt or killed while doing it please let me know because I am highly interested in a 100% safe job. This includes not getting killed on the commute.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control. Politicians, even the ones who support the right to keep and bear arms or are neutral about it, tend to support their party's platform because that's how they get along. Add to that the fact that unarmed people are easier to govern.

We have two political parties that are vying for control of the nation. An unarmed populace is easier to control than one that has the means to resist. Merely having the final power, the last word, that guns make possible, means we the people are ultimately in control and the politicians, the appointed leaders, can't ever gain the upper hand.

The majority of people in government don't want us to be armed for the simple fact that, without the ultimate power, we can't prevent them from doing anything they might want to do.

Grampaw

Constitutionalist
    Nov 14, 2008
    Perryville, MD
    Fear of Guns

i was just listening to the AM radio program "The American View" over here on Martian's thread in MD2A, http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=15646, and the woman being interviewed, Jane Weaver, head of the Maryland Chapter of the Second Amendment Sisters, made in interesting point towards the end. She suggested that Anti-gunners are not mentally sound, citing Sarah Brady's husband Jim's life-changing injuries in the famous assassination attempt on Pres. Ronald Reagan's life in 1981, and Diane Feinstein's witnessing the assassinations of San Fransisco Mayor and City Supervisor George Moscone and Harvey White in 1978. She suggested that these people are suffering from post tramatic stress disorder and are acting, NOT their logic and rationale, but on shaky emotions instead.

What thinks y'uns?

Sigmund Freud said "A fear of guns is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity". I never was very interested in his theories, but maybe he was on to something there.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    It makes sense. During my last year or so of active duty here in Bethesda MD. There was a very sad accident involving one service member and her daughter. The girl was a toddler at best maybe 3-4 years old. She was parking her car and by mistake run over the little girl. Sadly, she died. She was not found guilty and she was very very torn up about it. I was reading the base newspaper and even if she was not found guilty I can only imagine that she blames herself still today.

But that spun off her working tirelessly to have a law passed that all cars need to have a warning sound when backing up. I told my wife the story and I was very surprised at her response. She tells me "that's a $1500 option that we got on our car, now due to her mistake everyone will need to pay?"

I was surprised cause I could see her mission and the good that might come of it but there's still one core duty. Watch your kids.

The recent push in MD to have all children below a certain age ride in booster seats was similar, but with a twist - her kids weren't injured, and they were in boosters. So she went on a crusade trying to get the law passed because she was scared of what would have happened if she hadn't had booster seats. And because she was a politician's wife, it got traction.

So she was a "responsible" parent, and when shown the fruits of her own responsibility, decided to force everyone else to be "responsible" as well. Ring any bells?

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I think Jane has some degrees in psych-something or other and also teaches it.

She's also probably in Annapolis right now testifying for YOUR right to carry.

She's also a member here.:D

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    PTSD may cause hypervigilance, but I think that's a stretch. Hypervigilance deals with sensory systems and typically the person becomes paranoid and cannot function normally.

These people are just using the tried and true method of exploiting a tragedy for personal gain. Instead of blaming the person REALLY at fault - they blame inanimate objects, or others back up the ladder...

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    There are a lot of issues at play. Alot of them revolve around over generalization. I mean in the end, what happened to James Brady was and is tragic. Sarah Brady over generalized, and become a zealot.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    There are a lot of issues at play. Alot of them revolve around over generalization. I mean in the end, what happened to James Brady was and is tragic. Sarah Brady over generalized, and become a zealot.

It must have been very tragic and traumatic for her seeing her husband crippled. I have to give it to her for staying with her husband. After getting hurt that's a very big deal. Not many marriages survive something like that. A friend of mine got hurt so badly in the sandbox that he had to wear diapers and be in a wheelchair for about three years. His wife even changed the adult diapers for him. She quit her job in Wa. state and moved out here when they were just dating.

Then you saw a lot of other women just dump their husbands at that critical time. Guess she just focused her energy on the wrong type of thing. I know what the Constitution says but I do like her ideas of keeping a gun in a safe. All the other ideas are just jackasses preying on her tragedy and all they have to do is end it with "it makes it safe" and she's all for it.

It would be best if she does normal things like teaching women and elderly how to properly stow, secure and use a firearm. Even lobby for a standarized CCW class. I think that most accidents with guns can be prevented with proper training. I know there's a lot of accidents with firearms in the military but for the ammount of guns and dangerous things they deal with deaths are rare and few between. More people die from Helo accidents than firearms/explosive accidents.

Also, I think she just needs some sweet loving. We can send her a puppy, I am down for putting up a few bucks so we can give her a Rotty, Pitbull or a Bull Terrier. We can make it Kalishnikov for a boy Fal if it's a girl.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I thought that was common knowledge

i was waiting for someone to say that!:D

good article :thumbsup:

It must have been very tragic and traumatic for her seeing her husband crippled...

just think, that woman probably hasn't had any peter in near 30 years. You ever meet a women like that? They're not right in the head.

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    My wife wants to chime in on this one, just thought I'd pass her view along. Quote "Promoting gun safety will help turn the tide with public opinion as regards to gun ownership and right to carry laws. When I was in middle school, here on the Eastern Shore, 1970's, each class in the eighth grade took hunters safety. All participated and parents did not raise any objections. Those lessons have lasted a lifetime. I wonder when this was last thought of in our schools?" unquote.
    I edited out the banter about those crazy mo*%$* fu*@%*$, etc etc...
    Interesting to me as well, as I moved here from the UK in 1983, and although had handled firearms frequently as a young one, there was a public sense that persisted about guns. They were respected as the tools they are. Not ostrasised as the hand of evil. Only when they banned guns in '97 did the gun crime skyrocket. Fear can have disastrous results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom