• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    A lot of times that is cover for the governor's office. The ammo bill last year is a perfect example. It said it was submitted at the request of the chair of the committee and the MSP which we know is untrue. It cam directly from the Governor's office. The MSP head honchos didn't even know what the bill was.

So yea, we have even more reasons to be nervous......:sad20:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    HOUSE BILL 119
    Entitled:
    Department of State Police - Firearm Applications - Authority of Secretary
    Bill Text (Displayed in PDF Format): Not available at this time ( January 16, 2010 ) :shrug: :tap:
    Hearing: JANUARY 26 1:00 p.m.

The link says "Bill affects the following Statute:

Public Safety
    ( 5-120 )"

Although there is no text.

Article - Public Safety
    [Previous][Next][Another Article]
    §5–120.
    (a) (1) On receipt of a firearm application, a licensee or designated law enforcement agency shall promptly forward one copy of it to the Secretary by certified mail or facsimile machine.
    (2) The copy of the firearm application forwarded to the Secretary shall contain the name, address, and signature of the prospective seller, lessor, or transferor.
    (b) (1) The prospective seller, lessor, or transferor shall keep one copy of the firearm application for not less than 3 years.
    (2) The firearm applicant is entitled to the remaining copy of the firearm application.
    (c) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the licensee or designated law enforcement agency shall forward the $10 application fee with the firearm application to the Secretary.
    (2) A licensee or designated law enforcement agency that uses a facsimile machine to forward the firearm application to the Secretary shall:
    (i) be billed $10 for each firearm application forwarded to the Secretary during the month; and
    (ii) pay the total application fee by the fifteenth day of the following month

Who wants to bet that the administration heard all our pleas about the money that could be raised for the state by Shall Issue, and decided that they could raise even more if they jacked up the regulated transfer fees instead? Especially after they saw the data on the number of handguns bought this year.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    Carpooling, anyone??

Is anyone located in lower Montgomery County interested in carpooling to the hearing in Annapolis on January 26th?? It sounds like parking will be a PITA, and carpooling would be a great way to make it easier for more people to show up.
    This will undoubtedly be an up hill battle, and it is time to take a stand. Everyone's support in Annapolis can make the difference!

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Wow... VCDL has a reputation based on success. I'd be happy to have them on our side.

Here's my first missive to the HJC:

H.R. 52 makes sense from both a safety and fiscal perspective.

As Doctor Martin Luther King noted some forty years ago, "...the right to defend one's person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law."

Passage of this bill would increase state revenue through expanded tourism by people who normally spend their time and money in states that afford them the most safety.

Mr. Smigiel's bill is a win-win for Maryland. Please support H.R. 52.

Thank you.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    BILL HEARINGS SCHEDULED

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:00 PM - House Judiciary Committee - Room 100

HB 52 Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Delaware, Pennsylvania or Virginia - Reciprocity

Synopsis:
    Specifying that a license to carry a regulated firearm, including a concealed regulated firearm, issued by Delaware, Pennsylvania, or Virginia to an individual is valid in Maryland. (Note: West Virginia will be added at the hearing by sponsor's amendment)

HB 119 Department of State Police - Firearm Applications - Authority of Secretary

Synopsis:

Bill text is not yet available. However, this bill is believed to be the rumored legislation to allow the 77R handgun purchase paperwork to be filed electronically. The AGC's position on this bill will be determined when the actual bill language becomes available.

IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED:

Support HB 52
    Download the full ACTION ALERT Click here for the ACTION ALERT

Download the Bill Hearing Action Pack Click for Action Pack

Call and write the House Judiciary Committee (JUD)

E-mail the House Judiciary Committee: Click here for E-mail system

Be sure to highlight the name of all committee members!
    Visit the committee members and voice your support for HB 52

Attend the Hearing on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 1:00 pm (plan to arrive early to be sure of having a seat in the committee)

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    The link says "Bill affects the following Statute:

Public Safety
    ( 5-120 )"

Although there is no text.

Who wants to bet that the administration heard all our pleas about the money that could be raised for the state by Shall Issue, and decided that they could raise even more if they jacked up the regulated transfer fees instead? Especially after they saw the data on the number of handguns bought this year.

Yep. I agree and thought that too when I saw that. This one is making me nervous, but we will know for sure on Tuesday once the data is added. Very likely another money grab.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Still no text up yet for this thing. I agree with whoever said this is likely a money grab. No doubt the legal counsel office got a good laugh when we said we would pay for CCW permits and they replied with a fee increase elsewhere.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Any way we could get something like this one introduced? Authored by yours truly:

A BILL ENTITLED

1 AN ACT concerning

2 Firearm Magazine Capacity - Repeal of Limits

3 FOR the purpose of repealing firearm magazine capacity limits in Maryland.

4 BY repealing
    5 Article - Criminal Law
    6 Section 4-305
    7 Annotated Code of Maryland
    8 (2003 Volume and 2009 Supplement)

9 SECTION 1. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take effect
    10 October 1, 2010.

This bill would preserve the penalties for committing a crime with a magazine of 20+ rounds, but would remove the other annoying limitations of the law. While I don't see the point of the penalty, there's no really good political reason to agitate for its removal. Enactment date was picked because that's the same as HB52's.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    New for bill 119

Synopsis:

Providing that, in addition to the current methods of certified mail or facsimile machine for transferring a firearm application to the Secretary of State Police, a firearm application may be transferred to the Secretary by any other method preapproved by the Secretary.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    :bullhorn:
    :bullhorn:

SB 125 Hearing: FEBRUARY 2 1:00 p.m.
    ------------------------------------
    HB 157 {SB 44}
    Entitled Criminal Law - Use of Firearm in the Commission of a Crime of Violence or a Felony

SENATE BILL 167
    Entitled: Regulated Firearms - Application for Dealer's License - Record-Keeping and Reporting Requirements

Synopsis:
    Requiring the Secretary of State Police or the Secretary's designee to disapprove an application for a State-regulated firearms dealer's license if the Secretary or designee determines that the applicant intends a specified person to participate or hold a specified interest in the management or operation of the business for which the license is sought; requiring licensed dealers to keep records of specified information; etc.

Sponsored by: Senator Brian E. Frosh, District 16 . . .

SENATE BILL 191

Entitled: Weapon-Free Higher Education Zones

Synopsis:
    Prohibiting the carrying or possession of firearms, knives, and deadly weapons on the property of public institutions of higher education; providing for exceptions to this prohibition for law enforcement officers, a person hired for the purpose of guarding the institution's property, a person engaged in shooting activity for educational purposes, and a person who has a written invitation from the president of the institution to engage in a historical demonstration; etc.

Sponsored by: Senator Brian E. Frosh, District 16 . . .

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ah, so he's learned from Virginia Tech. Unarmed students make better targets. Good call Senator.

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    Ah, so he's learned from Virginia Tech. Unarmed students make better targets. Good call Senator.

+1

The sad thing is, my institution of higher education already prohibits weapons. WHY THE HECK DOES THE STATE OF MD NEED TO TELL HIGHER EDUCATION FACILITIES THAT THEY HAVE TO OUTLAW WEAPONS? Leave it up to the institution to do this. I imagine that ALL state owned institutions already have weapons prohibited. Of course, a person could argue that university policy does not carry enough penalty for violating it. If the institution already has a policy, is this law going to be any more of an effective deterrent for the crime? We know that any additional law or policy against carrying weapons at a university will not inhibit criminals from another VT. Anyone hellbent on killing people will not heed these other laws. It's ridiculous to think this way.

I cannot wait until I can retire and move out of this God forsaken state. The more I stay here, the more I hate it. I bet Frosh lets his anti-self defense laws out of committee.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    "Prohibiting the use of specified firearms in the commission of crimes of violence or felonies; and defining "firearm". "

Hmmmmm.....i thought that was probably already illegal....

Splitter

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    "Prohibiting the use of specified firearms in the commission of crimes of violence or felonies; and defining "firearm". "

Splitter

Sponsored by one of the biggest hypocrites in the General Assembly, Delegate Curt Anderson.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

Splitter

Expanding definition to include antiques or black powder?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    SB191 is a Who's Who of gun grabbers and the Senate President has signed on to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom