• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Will a Maryland resident that has a non resident CCW from Deleware, Virgina, or Penn, and also doesn't have a Maryland CCW be able to use their non resident CCW to carry in Maryland?

Read the bill. It would appear that a non-resident permit would work.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    While I'm not necessarily against the CCW reciprocity bill, I do rather think that there are some more pressing issues that I'd like to see Del. Smiegel address.. namely, the seven day wait period on regulated firearm purchases and the 20 round magazine limit.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I got a bad feeling about HB 52. If I were on the other side of the fence I would point out that it is a sleazy backdoor tactic so Marylanders can get a CCW by applying for an out of state CCW. It puts the cart before the horse. It will make those associated with this bill look sleazy.

Mike, I feel ya brother. I really do.

It would be so nice to have a straightforward process, lets say, like Virginia: fill out an application, run it through the courthouse, good=get a permit or bad=don't get a permit. No state/county police involved anywhere.

Or even better a process like Alaska: 21? Not a felon/domestic violence offender/habitual drunkard? Not gonna drink in the bar? Strap it up and make sure you know how and more importantly when to use it. If you draw, be ready to deal with the possible bad things that may come with it. "We don't need no stinking permits!!":D

Until a wave of common sense crashes over the d-bags and dumb-f**ks in Annapolis and washes the stupid off of them, I am all for running every single effort as hard as possible. With the help of the 'good' folks that have seen the light co/sponsoring our legislation, perhaps the others will see it too. If they don't see the light, shove every effort in their face, then up their a**, then make sure their opposition gets our support in 2010.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Is it my imagination, or have a lot of pols started to chime in on here.

I've seen other threads where they/staff introduced themselves. Could be a good thing, to get better laws (i.e. freedom/Liberty passed). I'm feeling a tad encouraged, if they can put their money where their mouth is.

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    I'll gladly take HB-52 over the status quo.

I have a FL CCW permit and will get a VA, PA or DE permit if it passes.

It would be nice to include FL and UT reciprocity, however baby steps are better than standing still.

"Shall Issue" Like VA and PA should be the goal in MD, especially if their CCW permits are honored here. Why shouldn't MD get the permit fees instead of our neighbor states?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    We need to get VAcdl and the PAfoa involved. I'm sure many of them would write letters in support and show up for hearings too.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Welcome aboard.

Will a Maryland resident that has a non resident CCW from Delaware, Virgina, or Penn, and also doesn't have a Maryland CCW, be able to use their non resident CCW to carry in Maryland? If not, why should Maryland trust people from other states when they don't trust their own. If so, why not deal with the MD Shall Issue head on and make this state some money in the process. I'm thinking this bill will fail and when Maryland finally gets Shall Issue your opponents will remember this bill about reciprocity when you try reciprocity bills in the future and think that there is a hidden message like this bill.

Being a Second Amendment girl, I'll have a go at this. Understand, in this instance, I am not speaking for Delegate Smigiel but rather as a friend who supports the right to keep and bear arms.

I am not sure I understand your concern...do I understand that your p.o.v is that if the "may issue" changes to "shall issue" then this bill will be seen poorly? If I am correct, I guess I don't understand how that can be. Seems to me, that the concept of reciprocity works no matter what. Should a change in the status occur (from "may" to "shall" issue), we would still need a law that validates CCW's from other states.

To answer your question, reciprocity means that an out of state CCW(in this case Virginia, Pennsylvania and Delaware) would be honored here. Should that state issue a non-resident CCW then, logic would dictate, that that would also be honored. However I have not had the chance to research your question to see which of these states do issue non-resident CCW's.

Email me at andimorony@gmail.com if you need more information.

Thanks for your input!

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Is it my imagination, or have a lot of pols started to chime in on here.

I've seen other threads where they/staff introduced themselves. Could be a good thing, to get better laws (i.e. freedom/Liberty passed). I'm feeling a tad encouraged, if they can put their money where their mouth is.

I think thats great! I will have to look around and find them!

On another note, you guys have been very warm in your welcoming of me and I appreciate it. I have been on boards (on one issue or another) where it has been a lot less friendly to noobs and this is a great place to hang out!

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    With all the poltiicans coming here, all we need is Frosh unemployed and Maryland could start becoming a far better place for gun rights.

Last edited:

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    While I'm not necessarily against the CCW reciprocity bill, I do rather think that there are some more pressing issues that I'd like to see Del. Smiegel address.. namely, the seven day wait period on regulated firearm purchases and the 20 round magazine limit.

For that I would absolutely encourage you to talk to him directly. Frankly, I haven't asked him about this. I am on leave this week and as such am not in the office. He's a straight shooter (pun intended) and I think you should ask him about this sooner than later. Call the district office this week or next 410-398-4606. We won't open the Annapolis office until the week Session starts.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    ...However I have not had the chance to research your question to see which of these states do issue non-resident CCW's.

Of the 3, VA for sure and I believe PA will issue non-resident CCW.

A great reference (albeit not officially linked to state's Atty Generals) is:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on a State and you'll get a lot of good info regarding that State's laws/policies.

Mark C.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Welcome andimorony!! I think any arguments brought up by antis about this being a "sneaky back door" will highlight their flaws in logic rather than make this look like a bad bill.

Reciprocity between states is reasonable and common (not just regarding ccw) If they say they're against this bill because Maryland residents with CCWs from neighboring states (except WV) will be allowed to carry here then they'll try to put in an amendment to exclude non-resident permits. Even the thirstiest Kook-aid drinker would still see the illogic of saying if you're from another state you can carry here, but we don't trust our citizens.

The other option is to be against the bill completely - which we should expect, but their reasons will be the common "blood in the streets" arguments that has been shown to be false in every state with "Shall Issue"

Anyway, good Luck!

krucam

Ultimate Member
    What johnyl is saying regarding the 'blood in the streets' comment can best be represented by the HUGE number of states that have gone to a "Shall Issue" status in the last 20+ years. The Gun Control lobby always predicted a bloodbath in the streets that never happened.

MD is definitely in the minority, conversely it's one of the remaining states riding a sinking ship. Gun Control was tried, and it has failed.

http://www.nraila.org//Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=18

Animated map showing progression towards "Shall Issue" over the last couple of decades:
    http://gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php

Thanks for your open-mindedness, please pass this info to Delegate Smiegel. Take care...

Mark C.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I think thats great! I will have to look around and find them!

On another note, you guys have been very warm in your welcoming of me and I appreciate it. I have been on boards (on one issue or another) where it has been a lot less friendly to noobs and this is a great place to hang out!

Welcome! It's great to see state officials and their staff on this board!

This is a good bill. While the REAL answer is for Maryland to go "Shall Issue", this bill is a great step for several reasons:

1- If this bill passes, many of us will seek non-resident permits from adjoining states and be able, finally, to enjoy our right to self defense.

2- This bill will be needed once Maryland goes "Shall Issue" for the exact reason mentioned: reciprocity will already be in place.

3- If this bill passes and thousands of Marylanders apply to adjoining states for non-resident permits, lawmakers will see millions of dollars in revenue leaving the state and going into the government coffers of those adjoining states. This may "force" some lawmakers to support "Shall Issue" for revenue purposes.

Personally, I am tired of seeing our tax dollars wasted in this state. I am comfortable getting a non-resident permit from an adjoining state that supports the 2A and thus supporting that state. While I would rather have a Maryland issued concealed carry permit, I will take any permit available that would allow me to legally defend my family as should be my right.

Again, WELCOME!

Splitter

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND

Welcome to the boards. Thank you for working with your delegate to put issues like this to the house.

Personally, I am tired of seeing our tax dollars wasted in this state. I am comfortable getting a non-resident permit from an adjoining state that supports the 2A and thus supporting that state. While I would rather have a Maryland issued concealed carry permit, I will take any permit available that would allow me to legally defend my family as should be my right.

Again, WELCOME!

Splitter

+1 on that. I will gladly pay for a permit that is recognized in this state.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Evenin' all!

I am Delegate Smigiel's Chief of Staff. I will do my best to answer any questions you have about SB 52 but naturally the best source is the Delegate himself.

The intent of the bill is to allow those who are issued CCW's in the surrounding states to have reciprocity in Maryland. Most states honor other out of state CCW's and it is high time, Maryland did too.

If you think this bill is a good idea and would like to testify or submit testimony, please feel free to contact me directly (andimorony@gmail.com) or at the district office 410-398-4606. (Email is better if you want to reach me directly.) There are other ways to support this bill so if you want to pitch in, let me know.

It's a breath of fresh air to have you aboard...welcome and a special thanks to Senator Smigiel for his ardent support of this cause. I wholeheartedly support any effort which allows me to protect myself and family.

On Jan 11th my wife and I will start our fourth cross-country trip since my retirement from the Pentagon. I will be armed from the time I leave MD until our return. It would be nice as a senior citizen to spend more time at home and think of the money the State would accrue.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom