• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    Shell casing has already been defunded for several years.
    In the FY14 "suupplemental" budget for the Department of State Police the state approved an annual increase to the Department's budget of $123,740.00 for the hiring of 4 Laboratory Technicians. This increase fell under SB281 for the sole purpose of processing submitted shell casings.

The Ballistic fingerprinting scam has never been "unfunded." Everything has a cost. This program costs manpower in addition to the Crime Lab personnel mentioned above. The Licensing Division has to follow the program as well to ensure dealers are submitting shell casings. An audit is performed by another state government office as well. If this program continues, the Crime Lab will have to rent/buy another facility just to store the casings.

You will hear stories of "back door hits" from this program. The questions is, are these backdoor hits worth the time, money and manpower to keep this program alive? I personally had one such back door hit in a case I was involved. We knew the suspect and obtained a shell casing to match the stolen gun that had been used in a crime. But, the fact is, the case would have been solved without this additional evidence. How many of the reported cases where they have had backdoor hits had an overwhelming amount of evidence that was also used to solve the investigation?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    In the FY14 "suupplemental" budget for the Department of State Police the state approved an annual increase to the Department's budget of $123,740.00 for the hiring of 4 Laboratory Technicians. This increase fell under SB281 for the sole purpose of processing submitted shell casings.

The Ballistic fingerprinting scam has never been "unfunded." Everything has a cost. This program costs manpower in addition to the Crime Lab personnel mentioned above. The Licensing Division has to follow the program as well to ensure dealers are submitting shell casings. An audit is performed by another state government office as well. If this program continues, the Crime Lab will have to rent/buy another facility just to store the casings.

You will hear stories of "back door hits" from this program. The questions is, are these backdoor hits worth the time, money and manpower to keep this program alive? I personally had one such back door hit in a case I was involved. We knew the suspect and obtained a shell casing to match the stolen gun that had been used in a crime. But, the fact is, the case would have been solved without this additional evidence. How many of the reported cases where they have had backdoor hits had an overwhelming amount of evidence that was also used to solve the investigation?

Mr. McCauley, thanks for confirming what I remember hearing/reading about the shell casing being funded. I think Delegate Dumais was debating strenuously to keep the amount in the budget last year and she won (my recollection). I think (?) it was somewhere north of a million $ for the program total. We could use you in Annapolis when this is getting hearings this week, if you can make it, and thanks for all of your help so far.

Additionally, I don't want Mr. McCauley working for the NRA, he is much more useful to Maryland and it's peculiar gun issues than he would be to any other state. Perhaps we can prevail on the NRA for some sort of grant for Mr. McCauley?

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    Mr. McCauley, thanks for confirming what I remember hearing/reading about the shell casing being funded. I think Delegate Dumais was debating strenuously to keep the amount in the budget last year and she won (my recollection). I think (?) it was somewhere north of a million $ for the program total. We could use you in Annapolis when this is getting hearings this week, if you can make it, and thanks for all of your help so far.

Additionally, I don't want Mr. McCauley working for the NRA, he is much more useful to Maryland and it's peculiar gun issues than he would be to any other state. Perhaps we can prevail on the NRA for some sort of grant for Mr. McCauley?
    Unfortunately, I will be working in DC tomorrow and can not make it to the hearing.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    We can only hope that Capt. Jack's "straight talk" rockets around the USA like Dan Bongino's speech at Lawyer's Mall. Both men were working without notes and it is a wonder to behold.

This is how hearts and minds can be changed. The legislators might be not listen to Jack McCauley, but they WILL listen if Jack changes voters.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

Thanks for the clarification. This is part of the problem. No one has been able to get complete information and we are all working on leaked bits and pieces.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Haven't seen this much national attention on our issues since SB281. Exceeeellent.

We truly have some incredible folks among us :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom