• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I would say "GSG 1911 Problem" but the gun ran about 400 rounds successfully today.

So the question is about the rubber washer on the recoil spring guide. There is also a metal washer and neither appear on the exploded view. The first is like a rubber washer, then there is a metal washer, then the recoil spring goes on.

It seems the rubber washer is two big, or too soft and expands outward, then it gets smashed/mashed/trashed as the slide moves. I read something about this on another board and the guy replaced it with a faucet washer.

Take a look at the pics. Is this normal? Should this be replaced? Can it be removed?

Attachments

• GSG exploded.jpg
      GSG exploded.jpg
      60.9 KB · Views: 246
    • gsg recoil spring guide 1.jpg
      gsg recoil spring guide 1.jpg
      90.5 KB · Views: 233
    • gsg recoil spring guide 2.jpg
      gsg recoil spring guide 2.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 236
    • gsg recoil spring guide 3.jpg
      gsg recoil spring guide 3.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 240
    • gsg recoil spring guide 4.jpg
      gsg recoil spring guide 4.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 235

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Bring it to Scotts, you got it there so the warranty and him taking a look at it will be free.

The rubber looks like a Recoil Buffer, and the Washer looks to prevent the coiled ends of the recoil spring from gouging the recoil rod.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    +1

Get that thing looked at, even with my blurry picture you can see your's isn't right.

Attachments

• GSG 1911 Internals (Medium).JPG
      GSG 1911 Internals (Medium).JPG
      42.3 KB · Views: 316

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I would say "GSG 1911 Problem" but the gun ran about 400 rounds successfully today.

So the question is about the rubber washer on the recoil spring guide. There is also a metal washer and neither appear on the exploded view. The first is like a rubber washer, then there is a metal washer, then the recoil spring goes on.

It seems the rubber washer is two big, or too soft and expands outward, then it gets smashed/mashed/trashed as the slide moves. I read something about this on another board and the guy replaced it with a faucet washer.

Take a look at the pics. Is this normal? Should this be replaced? Can it be removed?

just a question. what ammo were you using?

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Thanks Chad, I'll do that.

lee2 - Remington Golden Bullet

Inigoes, just out of curiosity, in your picture that area looks white - hard to tell from the pic - is there a black rubber washer? a metal washer? that looks more like a nylon washer like this...

Attachments

• nylon washer.jpg
      nylon washer.jpg
      3.9 KB · Views: 206

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    From the front of the pistol

recoil spring, Metal washer, white rubber washer, and then the Black rubber bumper (Correction: black washer)

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    On another forum, I just found this question...
    Now I have a question I just received my GSG and in the plastic bag with the extra sights, wrenches, and brush is a plastic washer. It is about 1/2" in diameter with about an 1/8" hole in it. Any ideas what this is for????

And this answer...
    Shock buffer, if you dissamble you may find a felt shock buffer. Replace it with the plastic.

ME: Hmmm, my "shock buffer" wasn't felt, and I didn't have a replacement in my bag.

BTW, I'll take Chad's advice, just thought I'd update this with the info I found.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    From the front of the pistol

recoil spring, Metal washer, white rubber washer, and then the Black rubber bumper

Thanks, that's interesting, perhaps the white washer is to prevent the rubber bumper from getting smashed and interfering with the slide. There were a number of times that the slide didn't close all the way (didn't slide forward after ejection) and I simply touched the back of the slide with my thumb and it closed.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    All that was in my bag, three allen wrenches, and a chamber brush. Another bag has two extra front sights

ATI is known for not QA'ing the little extra pieces, they toss in with a firearm.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    All that was in my bag, three allen wrenches, and a chamber brush. Another bag has two extra front sights

ATI is known for not QA'ing the little extra pieces, they toss in with a firearm.

Thanks again. I got that stuff, too (and a wrench for the barrel). But I also didn't have the white washer between the others.

I think I'm ok now, thanks for helping out.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    A little better pic, hopefully this helps

View attachment 37361

edit: Updated the pic to sharpen it up, to see a little clearer

Yes, that is better, although once you described the parts I think I could make them out in the other picture. I appreciate your help.

I already loved the gun, even with the slow slide. Now I can't wait to run it full speed (although I will wait).

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Update on the GSG 1911

I did like Chad said and took the gun to Scott's, they looked at it and agreed with Chad's reply here, that it was the recoil buffer and should be easy to get a replacement from ATI. Scott offered to keep the gun and handle the replacement, so I left it. Then in my impatience, I called ATI and Chris at ATI said it was an easy replacement and he'd send out the new buffer. So it's like a little washer and I figured a couple days and I'd have it and it would be an easy replacement and besides Chris at ATI also asked if the barrel bushing was steel and I couldn't check without the gun.

Anyway, I got the gun back from Scott's, checked the bushing and found it wasn't ferrous, so contacted ATI to let him know. He said the barrel bushing would be sent also.

I just want to be clear that Scott's was willing to handle these issues, and it was my decision to get the gun back and deal with ATI. I figured I had more time to do it, and it isn't anything the requires more than a field strip.

So about a week later I got the bushing, but still no recoil buffer. I e-mailed Chris and he says the recoil buffer is on backorder. Well, that's life I guess, but he could have let me know that when I called about the bushing.

Anyway, "backorder" for what amounts to a little piece of rubber is a bit frustrating. Other owners on other forums have stated that they are replacing it with neoprene washers from a hardware store, but I'm not sure I should do that.

FINALLY, a WARNING to potential buyers, there seems to be a new problem cropping up with the gun. The guide rod has been changed and the new ones have been snapping - these apparenty are being replaced with a duplicate that will just break again - and replacements are on backorder besides. There is already someone manufacturing guide rods to the old specs and selling them for $20. There may also be issues with the firing pin and safety. Read about it all here...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=283805&page=9

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    FINALLY, a WARNING to potential buyers, there seems to be a new problem cropping up with the gun. The guide rod has been changed and the new ones have been snapping - these apparenty are being replaced with a duplicate that will just break again - and replacements are on backorder besides. There is already someone manufacturing guide rods to the old specs and selling them for $20. There may also be issues with the firing pin and safety. Read about it all here...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=283805&page=9

:shocked4:

That's a pretty damning picture... I don't know what's worse, problems with the factory guns or people putting on Ed Brown/Wilson/etc. parts on these plinkers, although it's neat to know one could do that for the sake of customization. It's sad to see these things are shooting themselves apart, wonder how the Colt/Umarex ones will do.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    :shocked4:

That's a pretty damning picture... I don't know what's worse, problems with the factory guns or people putting on Ed Brown/Wilson/etc. parts on these plinkers, although it's neat to know one could do that for the sake of customization. It's sad to see these things are shooting themselves apart, wonder how the Colt/Umarex ones will do.

Ahhh man! I just put my deposit on a new one at GC Tuesday.......... Mine will be fine though.....:thumbsup:

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    Ahhh man! I just put my deposit on a new one at GC Tuesday.......... Mine will be fine though.....:thumbsup:

Well, it's not the first time a gun was hyped up, only for the first buyers to get screwed. Look at the early Walther P22s and Mosquitos that had problems, but for the most part are decent plinkers now. Cross your fingers and hope you got one of the early ones, and if you didn't, contact ATI and give them a chance to make it right.

This saga is still unfolding, I just hope the producer gets everything fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom