• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    I made a purchase at Continental Arms on the 14th of April and called back today to see about picking up the pistol. I was told my paperwork had not come back yet and was a little confused about that. I was under the impression that MSP would inform them if I was disapproved within 8 days. Sounds like they'll be holding my item until they hear back from the MSP.

Also, upon buying the gun, I asked if I should expect a call from them to which they replied no. So...I guess I'm just supposed to call every once in a while until they get AN OK about my application?

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I guess so? I know at Gander Mnt. they told me "If you haven't been called the paperwork hasn't come back." So I think they'll call me.

Anyone know if one can call MSP to check on the status of the background check and the such?

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I guess so? I know at Gander Mnt. they told me "If you haven't been called the paperwork hasn't come back." So I think they'll call me.

Anyone know if one can call MSP to check on the status of the background check and the such?

don't bother just be patient.... I heard it's a virtue :party29:

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    vas is dis patienze yu speek of?

I was waiting all week long for 2 separate things, one of them finally happened, so now I've only got one thing to hold my attention... but I will hang on.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    day 10 or 11 update: I called the store again, got someone else on the phone.
    I asked the following: What is the store policy or releasing MD regulated weapons after 7 days with no response from MSP?
    He said they have to wait for MSP approval before releasing the gun, and that I had been misinformed, told me it's not like the 3-day wait on a NICS delay, but that MSP has 7 business days to reply and that it's taking 12-14 days to hear back from them, and that he'd straighten out whomever told me it would take 7-10 days for the paperwork to get back.
    Now, from reading the forums, I'm pretty sure this is malarkey, since I recall 7 days just being 7 days, not 7 business days, and that the weapon can be released beforehand. Maybe there's some weird licensing regulation the MSP makes the store go through where if they release before "not disapproved" they get crap when it comes time to re-license every year?
    Any FFLs reading this thread feel free to chime in and tell what the MSP does as far as that, whether I was correctly informed or terribly misinformed the first, second, or both times.

thanks

Calengor

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Well, if you do a face to face transfer at a MSP barracks, they tell you flat out that the gun can be released on the 8th day if the letter has not come back yet.

Splitter

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    day 10 or 11 update: I called the store again, got someone else on the phone.
    I asked the following: What is the store policy or releasing MD regulated weapons after 7 days with no response from MSP?
    He said they have to wait for MSP approval before releasing the gun, and that I had been misinformed, told me it's not like the 3-day wait on a NICS delay, but that MSP has 7 business days to reply and that it's taking 12-14 days to hear back from them, and that he'd straighten out whomever told me it would take 7-10 days for the paperwork to get back.
    Now, from reading the forums, I'm pretty sure this is malarkey, since I recall 7 days just being 7 days, not 7 business days, and that the weapon can be released beforehand. Maybe there's some weird licensing regulation the MSP makes the store go through where if they release before "not disapproved" they get crap when it comes time to re-license every year?
    Any FFLs reading this thread feel free to chime in and tell what the MSP does as far as that, whether I was correctly informed or terribly misinformed the first, second, or both times.

thanks

Calengor

This was also my understanding. I'm on day 9 currently, and still no approval/disapproval after calling the shop today.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    This was also my understanding. I'm on day 9 currently, and still no approval/disapproval after calling the shop today.

They found out about that one thing you did that time you thought noone would know... sorry buddy...

seriously, when you get it in lets go to the range fool!

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    You guys are great! I purchased my .380 last Tuesday and was told to call today. I did and was told the paperwork was not back yet. I was a little puzzled to what that meant.

The last gun I purchased in Maryland was a Glock and it was in Rockville. Guy told me to pick it up in 7 days and it was there.. No problems. Now I know this is a common problem so I don't feel so bad anymore...

I will wait and see if this place will release my gun on the 8th day or wait for the paperwork... Going forward I will only deal with gunstores that release on the 8th day. I know I am no criminal or I would not have been able to purchase my guns in the past.
    I understand they want to cover their butts, but you took my money in full and earning interest.. I think I should have possesion of my firearm if the law allows.

Any news on your end, RaginCajun?

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    So I tried for the 3rd time to call the store Friday and see if I could retrieve my XDM. This time I asked a different question though. Instead of asking, "Has my MSP approval come back yet?" I simply asked "Can I pickup the pistol I purchased?" and got a yes within 30 seconds.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    So I tried for the 3rd time to call the store Friday and see if I could retrieve my XDM. This time I asked a different question though. Instead of asking, "Has my MSP approval come back yet?" I simply asked "Can I pickup the pistol I purchased?" and got a yes within 30 seconds.

how does she shoot?

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Shoots great, I just suck at aiming. :-)

They keep going down and right from where I *think* I'm aiming.

correction.jpg

Pistol correction target

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Shoots great, I just suck at aiming. :-)

They keep going down and right from where I *think* I'm aiming.

if its consistently off in the same spot it could also be the sites on the gun - have someone else fire it and if it does the same thing then its likely the gun site being off. I think i remember hearing that some XD's were coming from the factory out of adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom