• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    It's interesting. Everyone I know in PA that hunts Mr. Ruff has a hell of a time. I've scored a grand total of 1 over the course of not-quite 15 years in the woods. My dad has come up goose egg. Whereas everyone I've heard from the midwest or western areas of the US treat them as some dumb chicken, finding them all the time on the sides of roads and whatnot.

I'm a little jealous. I'm usually bushwhacking through deep coverts and my buddy in Nebraska claims to have popped several with a .22. At least my setter and I get some exercise.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It's interesting. Everyone I know in PA that hunts Mr. Ruff has a hell of a time. I've scored a grand total of 1 over the course of not-quite 15 years in the woods. My dad has come up goose egg. Whereas everyone I've heard from the midwest or western areas of the US treat them as some dumb chicken, finding them all the time on the sides of roads and whatnot.

I'm a little jealous. I'm usually bushwhacking through deep coverts and my buddy in Nebraska claims to have popped several with a .22. At least my setter and I get some exercise.

some of it is timing...they come out to the dirt roads/trails/skid trail roads etc at or near dusk for what one of my friends says is to find rocks for its gizzard. I dont know if thats true but them coming out at dusk is true. I see some in the morning but the majority Ive seen are within the last hour of light. Ive gone on the same trails during the day and rarely seen any. But theres been days I fill my bag limit at the last hour of light.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've seen a lot of grouse in GW National Forest in Virginia, but have never been able to kill one the three or four times I've gone hunting. Those things are fast and by the time I spot them in the air after hearing their "woosh woosh" sound, they're out of range or I miss. Good for you. Those look delicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom