• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I'm starting my new NFA family and I wondered if anyone owns a Griffin can. I'm looking at the Reece 7 Mod 3. I want a can that can handle both 300 blackout and 5.56.

I really like their new Optimus but everywhere has it on back order.

Anyone own a Griffin and what is your thoughts.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Yeah, I'm starting to think it may be worth the wait.

Something to consider: Other vendors're likely to be producing all-in-one style silencers next year. So it may be worth waiting at least 'til Shot Show to see what else may appear on the market.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    I have a Checkmate .22 that I like a lot. Also a Recce 5 that I'm iffy about- if they had made the Optimus when I got it, I would have wanted the Optimus. Currently have a YHM 30 cal in limbo, went with it because of the click stop on the mount. Will likely get a 556 mount as well to switch back and forth. The recce threaded mount will loosen while firing. That said, Griffin is making great improvements on their mounting systems. Maybe my issue is a thing of the past.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    It's funny I don't have any of their products but I am a fan. Checkmate will probably be my first silencer. Optimus is pretty slick for a first silencer.

Optimus Vid

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I have a Checkmate .22 that I like a lot. Also a Recce 5 that I'm iffy about- if they had made the Optimus when I got it, I would have wanted the Optimus. Currently have a YHM 30 cal in limbo, went with it because of the click stop on the mount. Will likely get a 556 mount as well to switch back and forth. The recce threaded mount will loosen while firing. That said, Griffin is making great improvements on their mounting systems. Maybe my issue is a thing of the past.

Have you tried contacting GA customer service? Don't they have a lifetime warranty. One way to find out how they do for their customers.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Have you tried contacting GA customer service? Don't they have a lifetime warranty. One way to find out how they do for their customers.

I have dealt with their C/S and it's good- I didn't ask about this because I thought it was probably my fault, since I use Ballistol on the threads. Quite a conflict, not wanting the can to come loose but also not wanting the threads to lock up or gall. I'm not sure that worry is warranted...
    I have read that most screw on suppressors will loosen during firing and that most people just give an occasional twist to keep theirs tight. However, I read it on the internet:o

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have dealt with their C/S and it's good- I didn't ask about this because I thought it was probably my fault, since I use Ballistol on the threads. Quite a conflict, not wanting the can to come loose but also not wanting the threads to lock up or gall. I'm not sure that worry is warranted...
    I have read that most screw on suppressors will loosen during firing and that most people just give an occasional twist to keep theirs tight. However, I read it on the internet:o

Direct screw-ons would seem to be better suited for bolt guns. Ratchet types better on autos and semi-autos. Just my deduction, I'm no expert.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    The Optimus hasn't been released yet AFAIK. I don't own a Griffin can, but I've only heard good things.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Direct screw-ons would seem to be better suited for bolt guns. Ratchet types better on autos and semi-autos. Just my deduction, I'm no expert.

The Recce is not actually direct thread- it has a muzzle device with taper threads. Again, may be something I'm doing wrong, because they are supposed to stay mounted tight.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Did you 'lock' the threaded muz. device on with Rocksett? It should not come loose if you did. I have plenty if you are near.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Did you 'lock' the threaded muz. device on with Rocksett? It should not come loose if you did. I have plenty if you are near.
    The muzzle device didn't come loose- the can loosened on the muzzle device. Sorry I haven't been clear. I figured it out pretty quick once the POI moved. The Recce 5 mounted on my bolt 5.56 has a POI shift about 3" low at 100 yds. When it moved to the side i said WTF?! Thanks for the offer, but I do have Rocksett.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The muzzle device didn't come loose- the can loosened on the muzzle device. Sorry I haven't been clear. I figured it out pretty quick once the POI moved. The Recce 5 mounted on my bolt 5.56 has a POI shift about 3" low at 100 yds. When it moved to the side i said WTF?! Thanks for the offer, but I do have Rocksett.

Gotcha. Sorry for the confusion. I hear there's nothing worse than launching your suppressor down range. Hope I never experience that one.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Gotcha. Sorry for the confusion. I hear there's nothing worse than launching your suppressor down range. Hope I never experience that one.
    OY! Yeah, I don't want that experience either- That would be worse than the golf equivalent- taking your swing and the club head flies off and goes further than the ball:lol2:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Let me tell you. It sucks. Worse is having them shut down the rsnge so they can get your suppressor out of the backstop.

Embarrassing!

Or so I've heard.:facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom